What's wrong with my Nexus One?

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Nexus One from the first week it was released. Never had any problems at all. No problems with 3G/EDGE, no problems with keyboard, no problems with heating up, none of the problems that everyone was complaining about soon after the phone was released. Until this past Friday.

On Friday afternoon I get a call and the other person can't hear me. I call her back, same thing--can't hear me. She calls me back, again nothing. I hear her fine but she can't hear me. I call another person, thinking maybe it was her phone. The other person can't hear me either. I call that person from a different phone and without a problem, we can both hear each other. Didn't think much about it since I was at work, however, a few minutes later I tried to check emails/messages and any icon that I click on the home screen takes me to the applications screen, not to email, or browser, or gtalk, but to applications. Clicked home, and it takes me to the home screen, from there I tried again, still won't open anything but takes me back to applicaitons. From applications screen if I clicked on an icon it would open that icon. I tried using the browser and it would do random things: zoom in/out while scrolling up and down, it would close the window if I tried to zoom in/out, it would take me to the home screen if I tried to move the website sideways, etc. I pulled the battery (since that action solved all the problems on BlackBerry phones) and it seemed to work fine after that.

Everything was fine over the weekend, no problems with calls. I tried calling a few people and everyone heard me OK. Used different application, no problem at all. Until this morning. It started the same way; I get a call and the other person can't hear me, but I can hear that person fine, tried calling other people, no one can hear me. Tried clicking on icons from the home screen and that would only open the applications screen. Tried using browser and it would again do random things... I did a battery pull again and as of now it seems to be working fine.

Anyone know what this could be? Anyone experience something similar to this? Anyone recommend any tips, besides battery pull? Water damage--where are the stickers, indicators, so I could check? Could an app that I downloaded be causing this? Anything at all...?

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an N1, but I can contribute this:
ANYTIME you troubleshoot ANY device (car, computer or almost any mechanical repair/work) , it is useful to think of what changed last, from before the trouble started to when it began, so you're on the right track asking about installed apps. Sometimes it is hard to link, or a matter of timing, or two apps that conflict, but it could be useful to remove the last app(apps, if you did 2 or 3 in the same sitting) you installed as a test, especially if the problems happened shortly after the install(s). Second, I've had this happen a few times on different smart phones, sometimes seems network related - but in this case solves itself with no action on the device. Third - Other times resetting the device at the next level helps - I don't know how many reset levels there are on an N1. Careful, it may be possible that some type of reset wipes all data from the device. Hopefully someone who owns one today can give more specific help.

ADS

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The fastest way to troubleshoot would be a factory reset and if the problem persists you have a hardware issue.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Curious - does it require a battery pull, or does rebooting the phone work (meaning: power it off, then power back on)?

Someone else asked what recently changed - anything?

What happens if you make a call with the headphones/earbuds? What about using a bluetooth headset? Same thing, or does the phone respond differently?

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for responding. I did a factory reset and it seems to be working fine for now.

Curious - does it require a battery pull, or does rebooting the phone work (meaning: power it off, then power back on)?

Someone else asked what recently changed - anything?

What happens if you make a call with the headphones/earbuds? What about using a bluetooth headset? Same thing, or does the phone respond differently?

Before doing the factory reset battery pull solved the problem. I did not think of using headphones/earbuds/bluetooth, since I never use either one on a regular basis.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
FYI - I have had the same issues with the caller not being able to hear me on my Moto Droid. I had no 3rd party apps that would cause such an issue, and a battery pull was the only thing that would fix it. So it may not be a N1 specific problem, it could be an Android bug.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for responding. I did a factory reset and it seems to be working fine for now.

Before doing the factory reset battery pull solved the problem. I did not think of using headphones/earbuds/bluetooth, since I never use either one on a regular basis.

Glad things are better for you.

tom28

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an N1, but I can contribute this:
ANYTIME you troubleshoot ANY device (car, computer or almost any mechanical repair/work) , it is useful to think of what changed last, from before the trouble started to when it began, so you're on the right track asking about installed apps. Sometimes it is hard to link, or a matter of timing, or two apps that conflict, but it could be useful to remove the last app(apps, if you did 2 or 3 in the same sitting) you installed as a test, especially if the problems happened shortly after the install(s). Second, I've had this happen a few times on different smart phones, sometimes seems network related - but in this case solves itself with no action on the device. Third - Other times resetting the device at the next level helps - I don't know how many reset levels there are on an N1. Careful, it may be possible that some type of reset wipes all data from the device. Hopefully someone who owns one today can give more specific help.

ADS

Good advice.

Whenever technology starts acting up, I usually start with a restart then go from there. When in doubt, restart is my motto towards technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol