iPhone user getting a Nexus One Today! Any tips?

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
After owning every single model of iPhone I have decided to make the switch and my Nexus One is set to arrive today.

I already use my Google Contacts and Calendar and Google Voice on my iPhone 3GS so moving those to my Nexus One should not be an issue.

Any other tips on moving from the iPhone to the Nexus One? I am a heavy Social Media user (Facebook, FourSquare and Twitter). I am also a VERY heavy Podcast listener (No video, just Audio).

Thanks!

Looking forward to diving into the Android OS!

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I am also on a Mac so if you have any suggestions for an iTunes replacement. I currently have DoubleTwist but will not be able to play with it till my new phone arrives.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android! Since you're already using the Google products, I think it'll make you switch over to the Android OS a little smoother. If you haven't already, make sure your contacts are up to date. When you set up your phone, it'll pull all your contacts from your Google Contacts info and make the setup a breeze.

As far as social media, the Facebook apps all suck, sad to say. The iPhone Facebook app is better. That said, the FourSquare app is very nice and has a sweet widget built in as well. There are quite a few Twitter apps available, with a nice listing in this thread. Personally, I'm a fan of Touiteur, though the others get high reviews as well. As for podcasting, this thread may help fill in the blanks.

Again, welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy your N1!

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Unfortunately Media Monkey doesn't work for we Mac folks, the only option I've found is DoubleTwist. Downside is if you still have DRM music it won't play on your Android device.

Twitter app: I like Tweetcaster.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I'm looking at DoubleTwist and don't see an option to subscribe to Podcasts. Is this only available in the windows version? If so, is there any other Mac software that I can subscribe to Podcasts with on my Mac that will sync them to my Nexus One?

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
After owning every single model of iPhone I have decided to make the switch and my Nexus One is set to arrive today.

I already use my Google Contacts and Calendar and Google Voice on my iPhone 3GS so moving those to my Nexus One should not be an issue.

Any other tips on moving from the iPhone to the Nexus One? I am a heavy Social Media user (Facebook, FourSquare and Twitter). I am also a VERY heavy Podcast listener (No video, just Audio).

Thanks!

Looking forward to diving into the Android OS!

One tip, don't ever go back to that crappy apple product again!

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
In all honesty, I still like the iPhone. My wife is getting my 3GS and we are selling her 3G. I'm just a very heavy Google products user and wanted something that tied into them better.

I always say "Use the best tool for the job." Just so happens that the best tool for me is an Android based OS. :)

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at DoubleTwist and don't see an option to subscribe to Podcasts. Is this only available in the windows version? If so, is there any other Mac software that I can subscribe to Podcasts with on my Mac that will sync them to my Nexus One?

It's Windows only for now, with DoubleTwist claiming Mac support to follow next month. Missing Sync supposedly offers Podcast sync, but it's $40 for the program, and I seem to recall the reviews for it being hit or miss when I was looking for a Mac option to sync my Blackberry phones.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
DoubleTwist does run on the Mac, I just think the Podcast option is not available in the Mac version yet. Crap.

I'm a big podcast listener and really need to find something.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Ok, the FedEx truck has driven by my office twice now and not stopped. This is one of those times when it's bad to have an office with a window. I'm not going to get any work done today.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
DoubleTwist does run on the Mac, I just think the Podcast option is not available in the Mac version yet. Crap.

I'm a big podcast listener and really need to find something.

Oops, sorry, shoulda been more specific. The podcast sync option is Windows only, with the Mac support coming to the Mac version next month.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
As soon as you find a program that works with Mac let me know. I've searched and searched the only thing I've found is DoubleTwist.

Hate the multiple Fedex truck drive bys.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I don't have my Android phone yet (ordered a Sprint Hero off ebay and the seller waited a week to ship it, grrr), but aren't there some good podcast apps out there? Perhaps one of these would meet your podcast needs:

Sure, there are some good apps, but Podcasts are not just for listening to on your phone. I listen to Podcasts on my Mac as well and I'd like to be able to sync the Podcasts on my phone and mac (like I did on my iPhone) so I know which ones I have listened to. :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Until doubletwist supports podcasts on the Mac, if you put your podcasts into a playlist (just create a smart playlist in iTunes called "unplayed podcasts" and use this as a filter: media kind: podcast; kind does not contain PDF; play count is 0), you can import your playlists into DoubleTwist and then onto the Nexus.

I don't use my phone as an audio player - I still have a Nano for that - but I understand that the application Listen is supposed to be a great podcatching app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith