Question about google account

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, been lurking here for a couple weeks soaking in as much info as possible while waiting for the verizon version.....
My question is this....do i need a google account to set up the phone when i get it?
I remember reading somewhere that a rep will try to set up certain things on the phone and that I should not let them.....just trying to have all my ****s in a row for the release...thanks

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Android is a google customization of Linux, so the integration will always be best with gmail and google products.
ADS

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Your question asks about a "google account". I don't know what a google account is. Did you mean a gmail account? If so, then yes. You do need a gmail account for the device to work properly. All the helpful verizon guy will do is associate the device with a gmail account.

by the way, you need at least one gmail account to sync your contacts.

The potential problem is that whatever account is first set up is basically stuck as the primary account (for the naive IM app, the account in market where you buy apps, the latitude account in maps, and a few other places). It CAN be changed in the future, but that requires a total factory wipe.

So, the advice is to make sure that when the device is set up (by you or the verizon store rep) just put thought into what gmail account you're using.

But, in short, YES, you do NEED a gmail account.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Your question asks about a "google account". I don't know what a google account is. Did you mean a gmail account? If so, then yes. You do need a gmail account for the device to work properly. All the helpful verizon guy will do is associate the device with a gmail account.

The potential problem is that whatever account is first set up is basically stuck as the primary account (for the naive IM app, the account in market where you buy apps, the latitude account in maps, and a few other places). It CAN be changed in the future, but that requires a total factory wipe.

So, the advice is to make sure that when the device is set up (by you or the verizon store rep) just put thought into what gmail account you're using.

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

why is that?
i would rather use my email from my own domain...and not have it behind a 'layer' of google .....im coming from a bb, so that is why i dont understand why i need gmail to use this phone....

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Well gmail will back up all of your contacts, so if you're previously with VZW and know of their backup asst. or use BB backup on your comp, then its essentially the same thing. Also if you buy an app off of the market place then it will send a receipt to your gmail kind of a good way to keep track of that. Plus I'm sure they(Google) want people to use there e-mail(gmail) so its a way to get/force that out there.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
why is that?
i would rather use my email from my own domain...and not have it behind a 'layer' of google .....im coming from a bb, so that is why i dont understand why i need gmail to use this phone....

Do you blame them for pushing their product out though? If you absoluely don't want to create one, then you may not want to purchase it. I actually just switched from Yahoo (my account for over 10+ years) to Gmail. Gmail has the best spam control I've ever used.

If I have a business, I would do the same. It's all about pushing your own products. I'm sure if RIM had email like Gmail does (@ carrier.blackberry.net does not count), they would more than likely do the same.

Last edited:

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
of course i understand why they do it, totally makes sense for a business like they are to do it this way. Having said that, I want the phone because of what it is and what it does...touchscreen, fairly lightweight (compared to my bb 9000), good processor, faster internet, good and large screen etc etc.....but i dont like being tied to google because i want to use my business email as it is more professional than me at gmail.com....
i've been looking into it , it seems i can somehow cloak or use my business address with gmail, but again, i feel like it is behind a false layer, and dont know how well it will work.....if i didnt use it for business email and such it would be perfect, i would set up a gmail acct. in a second and use all their features, but thats not the case.....so, im still up in the air i guess.....

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
by the way, i appreciate all the info.....

also, im on at&t right now, but if i decide to go with the n1 will make the switch to v.

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
WHOA!
Guys, isn't this what i'm talking about....?
knowyourcell.com/google/nexus-one/nexus-one-guides/395038/how_to_set_up_pop3_and_imap_email_accounts_on_your_nexus_one.html

and

talkandroid.com/guides/nexus-one-imap-pop3-email-setup/

add the www and dot before each one, i'm not allowed as i dont have 10 posts yet

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
WHOA!
Guys, isn't this what i'm talking about....?
knowyourcell.com/google/nexus-one/nexus-one-guides/395038/how_to_set_up_pop3_and_imap_email_accounts_on_your_nexus_one.html

and

talkandroid.com/guides/nexus-one-imap-pop3-email-setup/

add the www and dot before each one, i'm not allowed as i dont have 10 posts yet

Yes and no, you asked about if you have to use Gmail and you have to. Meaning you have to have the Gmail account active on the account/phone but never use it unless you want too. But yes you can put hotmail, yahoo, etc on an Android based phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair