Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid to Nexus1 possibility.

Hey everyone,

As we all know, Verizon is about to get the N1 and Im tempted to lay down the cash and get one however, I want to get your feedback on if I should or shouldnt. Right now, Im using the Droid by Motorola which I enjoy, however, the Nexus looks pretty nice. The only difference I see between the Droid and the Nexus right now atleast is the better specs - Processor Speed, ram, etc, etc. But, not by much isnt it?

I feel the support for the droid has been shafted and it seems like their putting us on the backburner now that the N1 is out which I like to see especially when I invest so much cash into a device.

So, question is. Do I lay down the money and get one once its released for Verizon or stick with the droid?

I'd say wait to see what happens. If the Nexus One model continues with Verizon, Google will offer the Nexus One only, with Verizon providing a mobile plan only. In that case, the Droid remains one of Verizon's highest end Android phones, and will certainly not be on the back burner for Verizon.

I'm not sure that Droid users have gotten the shaft. Verizon and Motorola are being extra-careful that they deliver an update that works reliably and which is reliably delivered. That is far, far better than delivering an update that bricks a phone or something.

It could be that Google breaks the model and allows Verizon to sell and support the Nexus One but I would highly doubt that this will happen. If they do and you feel that Verizon will deliver updates faster to the N1 than to the Droid (based on what? You think that they shafted you with the Droid, after all...), then I suppose go for it. I doubt that this will happen.

Also, remember that the N1 has had a minor update delivered so far, just as the Droid has, but Google still has not delivered an major OS upgrade for the N1 yet. I would be willing to be that Google will aggressively support these Nexus devices, but we do not know that yet. It could be instead that they will just deliver a Nexus Two and Nexus Three with the next Android versions and leave the N1 users waiting as long as Droid users have waited for the 2.1 update.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by bart151 View Post
    Hey everyone,

As we all know, Verizon is about to get the N1 and Im tempted to lay down the cash and get one however, I want to get your feedback on if I should or shouldnt. Right now, Im using the Droid by Motorola which I enjoy, however, the Nexus looks pretty nice. The only difference I see between the Droid and the Nexus right now atleast is the better specs - Processor Speed, ram, etc, etc. But, not by much isnt it?

I feel the support for the droid has been shafted and it seems like their putting us on the backburner now that the N1 is out which I like to see especially when I invest so much cash into a device.

So, question is. Do I lay down the money and get one once its released for Verizon or stick with the droid?
    Um since Verizon has not even officially announced the Nexus yet where to you get the impression that the Droid is on the back burner? The OS update delay was an issue with the company that does the OTA updates, not Verizon or Moto dragging their feet.

As for your initial question, it depends on your answer to the following three:

1. Do you use the Droids keyboard (even once on a while when the software one does not work right or when you need more screen space)? Could you live without it?

2. Is a faster processor and more memory more important to you than the better screen that the Droid has? (yes this is debated).

3. Do you really NEED this phone? Understand there are a lot more Android handsets on the way (HTC Desire being the most notable). By the end of the year Verizon is gonna have 7-8 Android handsets, do you really want to rush things here when something a lot better is on the way?
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Um since Verizon has not even officially announced the Nexus yet where to you get the impression that the Droid is on the back burner? The OS update delay was an issue with the company that does the OTA updates, not Verizon or Moto dragging their feet.

As for your initial question, it depends on your answer to the following three:

1. Do you use the Droids keyboard (even once on a while when the software one does not work right or when you need more screen space)? Could you live without it?

2. Is a faster processor and more memory more important to you than the better screen that the Droid has? (yes this is debated).

3. Do you really NEED this phone? Understand there are a lot more Android handsets on the way (HTC Desire being the most notable). By the end of the year Verizon is gonna have 7-8 Android handsets, do you really want to rush things here when something a lot better is on the way?
    Droid doesn't have a better screen. It just has a slightly longer screen with about 50 extra pixels added to the height. The ppi is still the same.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Droid doesn't have a better screen. It just has a slightly longer screen with about 50 extra pixels added to the height. The ppi is still the same.
    Watch any of the videos online comparing the two, the Droid blows it away. Sorry I know the Nexus is supposed to be the king of the Droids but they definitely cut corners on the color and sharpness of the screen. It still blows most phones away but the Droid is better. The average consumer probably wont care or even notice though...
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

They are both great phones. The only real difference is the physical keyboard. I'm not a big fan so I'm waiting for the Nexus One. But if you like the keyboard then the Droid would be the best option for you. Its all about preference.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Droid keyboard is very difficult for me so i would go virtual. i actually liked the pre plus keyboard better

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

I would skip a model and consider the Incredible. Wait and see how the screen looks and take the one with the better screen.

wait, you can't see a Nexus in person. I guess I was looking at it from my point of view since I already own a Nexus. I'll check out the Incredible when it comes and make a recommendation for you then
    Roy Aguilera

I have an upgrade waiting for me. I like the desire, yet I also like the N1 and love the Droid. I will keep the Droid for now. Come Summer time a whole new batch of android phones will come. Plus I really dislike HTC.

I say wait it out - there's no real need for you to switch phones, so you have the luxury of time. Until you start to feel the age of your phone, why upgrade out of cycle?