Confirmed: Verizon Nexus One Cancelled

this_is_kyle

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So to all those that are ready to jump ship and buy the Incredible, how will you feel if the Nexus One for Verizon launches with OS 2.2 or even OS 3 and you are sitting there having to wait like everyone else for the updated OS......???
Well if they would release some damn info or a release date for it then I might still consider buying this over the Inc.

Xyxyll

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
So to all those that are ready to jump ship and buy the Incredible, how will you feel if the Nexus One for Verizon launches with OS 2.2 or even OS 3 and you are sitting there having to wait like everyone else for the updated OS......???

And how often does Google really update their OS? How "terrible" is OS 2.1? If the Nexus One doesn't come out before the Incredible, I'm jumping ship guaranteed. :cool:

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The rapid update pace should slow down a bit, although I've heard issues about 2.1 with the Nexus and Droid as well. So I'm sure we could expect at least a minor update for bug fixes in the near future. Major update further down the road. (My best guess)

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

I think I'll be fine Chuckles. :)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It is just something to think about, I have been with Verizon for at least 10 years and have always been disappointed with how slow they release phones and phone updates. I am looking forward to being free of the wait and being able to be on the best network and with one of the best phones..

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It is just something to think about, I have been with Verizon for at least 10 years and have always been disappointed with how slow they release phones and phone updates. I am looking forward to being free of the wait and being able to be on the best network and with one of the best phones..

And this is the very essense of the idea Google is trying to create...
**que eye roll and head shake from Rew001**:D

solideliquid

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

I agree about the software updates being a Droid owner. But releasing the Droid, Eris, Pre/Pixi, and the Incredible within six months is nothing to scoff at.

rabaker07

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I'd have to concur. They got the best android phone (droid) before any other carrier and now they have the Incredible too. Nexus One is around the corner, so they will have a handful of the top phones on the market. This may not be their track record, but it's looking like their new standard...

EVO next?

mtb1981

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
What does everyone think the effect do the pre-orders for the Incredible will have on the availability of the N1? I personally think (hope) that it means that the N1 is going to be released at the same time without all the pre-order junk, but that's just me.

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
What does everyone think the effect do the pre-orders for the Incredible will have on the availability of the N1? I personally think (hope) that it means that the N1 is going to be released at the same time without all the pre-order junk, but that's just me.

That is my feeling. While being so close in hardware specs I doubt Google would want to wait too long for the Nexus release.

Time will tell.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the software updates being a Droid owner. But releasing the Droid, Eris, Pre/Pixi, and the Incredible within six months is nothing to scoff at.

I agree but look at Droid released running 2.0, Eris 1.5, Incredible 2.1. How long have we waited for the Eris to be upgraded to 2.1, how long did Droid owners have to wait. It is inevitable that when the N1 upgrades to a newer version of the OS, Incredible owners will be waiting once again and filling up chat room and message boards playing the guessing game. That alone is a good enough reason for me, to wait for the N1 or rumored N2 on Verizon's network.

browns1

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree but look at Droid released running 2.0, Eris 1.5, Incredible 2.1. How long have we waited for the Eris to be upgraded to 2.1, how long did Droid owners have to wait. It is inevitable that when the N1 upgrades to a newer version of the OS, Incredible owners will be waiting once again and filling up chat room and message boards playing the guessing game. That alone is a good enough reason for me, to wait for the N1 or rumored N2 on Verizon's network.

Yeah and once they do get the update, there's still going to be issues with it. Just look at the Droid 2.1 update, 16-bit color downgrade on the camera preview software, less graphic rendering, etc. This is exactly why I'm waiting on the N1 to come out. In the meantime, I'll be stuck with my Blackberry. :(

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
You're all crazy... the N1 ain't worth waiting for a minute longer. You really think Verizon will allow its release immediately prior to their big new Droid phone? Absolutely not - this is WHY Google had the Spring release date - because Verizon has been planning the Incredible all along, and wanted to get its phone out there before the N1 steals any market share. So at best, give it a few weeks after the Incredible launch before Google sneaks the CDMA N1 out the door. I'd even lean more toward an early summer release.

The Incredible looks like an absolutely sweet phone, and I'm now completely uninterested in the N1 anyway, but I also wouldn't be holding my breath if I were interested.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
what happened to this thread? Has everyone given up. I refuse to believe that no one knows anything. Incredible is coming and the Nexus is going to be left behind if we don't get some info. soon. Is the surprise worth waiting on?

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
My plan is I am planning on waiting a little after the incredible comes out to see what happens with the nexus one. I am hoping that they are redesigning the N1 and it is going to blow the INC out of the water. My hopes. I have heard ppl speculate that the reason there is nothing being heard about the N1 is because verizon was saying how they wanted to advertise the INC first and wait till that was out before they allowed google to release the N1.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You're all crazy... the N1 ain't worth waiting for a minute longer. You really think Verizon will allow its release immediately prior to their big new Droid phone? Absolutely not - this is WHY Google had the Spring release date - because Verizon has been planning the Incredible all along, and wanted to get its phone out there before the N1 steals any market share. So at best, give it a few weeks after the Incredible launch before Google sneaks the CDMA N1 out the door. I'd even lean more toward an early summer release.

The Incredible looks like an absolutely sweet phone, and I'm now completely uninterested in the N1 anyway, but I also wouldn't be holding my breath if I were interested.

The incredible has its strong points, but it also has some pretty serious drawbacks, the most significant being the painfully slow update process it will be subjected to. Remember how long its taken the Droid to get 2.1? Multiply that by at least two since this is a sense handset. Even though the Incredible is a nice phone, you're going to be waiting a long, long time for major software updates.

G

GenericMessage

Yeah and once they do get the update, there's still going to be issues with it. Just look at the Droid 2.1 update, 16-bit color downgrade on the camera preview software, less graphic rendering, etc. This is exactly why I'm waiting on the N1 to come out. In the meantime, I'll be stuck with my Blackberry. :(

Yeah I haven't had ONE issue with my Droid after the 2.1 update.

And have you all overlooked one key thing?

Google said last month that starting this year that they will be handling the updates on the phones! NOT THE CARRIERS! They are doing this to prevent fragmentation! So to go with the N1 over the Incredible PURELY based on something none of you know for a fact is silly.

If you want the N1 over the Incredible for other reasons, go for it! But don't let the imaginary threat of not getting an update at the same time as the N1 stop you.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I haven't had ONE issue with my Droid after the 2.1 update.

And have you all overlooked one key thing?

Google said last month that starting this year that they will be handling the updates on the phones! NOT THE CARRIERS! They are doing this to prevent fragmentation! So to go with the N1 over the Incredible PURELY based on something none of you know for a fact is silly.

If you want the N1 over the Incredible for other reasons, go for it! But don't let the imaginary threat of not getting an update at the same time as the N1 stop you.

Where'd you hear that? Google CAN'T take over those updates, because most carriers still need to put their stamp of approval on aspects of the software to make sure they don't mess with the network or the customer experience. No carrier in America would let Google take over that.

What you're referring to has nothing to do with that; Google has (not officially mind you) decided to spin out certain core features of android into separate apps for the market that can be updated by the user regardless of their version number. This will allow ALL users to benefit from updated features like the gallery without having a full system update.

When it comes to phones with UI layers like Sense, updates are going to be delayed and there is NO way around it. Every time Google and developers release a full system update (like the jump from 2.0-2.1), that UI layer and its features have to be rewritten and recoded to take into account changes in the underlying Android code. This process is not fast by any means, and you WILL wait for updates compared to stock versions of android.