Am I the only former iPhone owner who made the switch and is very disappointed?

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I have owned every model iPhone from the 1st Gen to the 3GS. I've been a Mac user since 1984 and I currently own 5 Macs, but I live on all of the Google apps from Gmail, Docs and especially Google Voice.

When the Google voice app was rejected from the app store I gave it 90 days to appear or I said I would move to an Android based phone. Well, it took me longer than 90 days... but 2 weeks ago I ordered a Nexus One.

I absolutely LOVE the Google Voice tie in with the Nexus One, but I have to admit, that is the ONLY thing that I like about this phone better than my old 3GS.

Things I hate about the N1. Every "con" I list below is blown out of the water by the iPhone 3GS.

#1. The screen is terrible when viewing outside here in Arizona. Most of the time I have to shield the entire phone with my body from the sun and even then it's still not very viewable. I NEVER had any issues using my iPhone in the sun at any time.

#2 The screen "smudges" are impossible to get rid of. I probably have to clean this phone 2-3 times a day so it does not look like someone slobbered all over it.

#3. The Facebook app is total crap, it's an embarrassment when compared to the iPhone app and even other non Android based apps. Most of the graphics in the rest of the apps (but not all) make me feel like I am using a late 80's console game system. The screen is so beautiful (when used inside) why can't developers take advantage of it and produce decent animations and graphics?

#4. Podcast apps are a joke, none of them even come close to the basic podcast features and playback of the iPhone. They all feel very clunky and not refined at all.

#5. The default keyboard is terrible and very inaccurate. I've also tried every 3rd party keyboard I can find and have wasted my money on every one. The touch accuracy of the N1 when compared to the iPhone 3GS is a joke.

Now, I am sure I will get flamed here and called an idiot. I really don't care as I won't be responding to this post. I really want to like the N1 and Android, I really do.... But in it's current form I cannot suggest this phone to anyone and suggest if you are a current iPhone user then stick with your iPhone until the Android OS/Hardware improves.

I've now moved back to my iPhone 3GS for full time use and only use the N1 to play with from time to time.

I'm very disappointed. :(

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Yikes! It looks like you should have done more research before getting the Nexus One. Or least played with one before you purchased. You probably would haved discovered all of you "cons" before shelling out the bucks...

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Yikes! It looks like you should have done more research before getting the Nexus One. Or least played with one before you purchased. You probably would haved discovered all of you "cons" before shelling out the bucks...

And how do you suggest that I "play with one" since it's only sold online? I don't know anyone who has one and I incorrectly assumed that Google would not put it's name on a phone that is this far behind the iPhone. Well, you know what you get when you assume...

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
And how do you suggest that I "play with one" since it's only sold online? I don't know anyone who has one and I incorrectly assumed that Google would not put it's name on a phone that is this far behind the iPhone. Well, you know what you get when you assume...

Then in that case, you had a 14 days to return it (30 days if you are in California).

MRGQ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Dude your not the only one, so far i love the phone BUT this issue i have with MMS is getting me pist the f**k off! i cant get mms or send mms even after doing everything thru google support and att support, i might have to get this unit sent it for a new one!:mad::mad:

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, return it or sell it online. Your post is very subjective. If you didn't have someone you knew personally with an N1 to test it before you bought it, then you have no one to blame but yourself. CLEARLY, you didn't research before buying it.

Last edited:

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you've had these problems. If you are going to use it to kind of futz around with, have you thought of rooting it and seeing how it works out with a different ROM on it?

No reason to flame you for a personal choice. It works from some and doesn't for others.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
The screen has its draw backs and that s the main one. Facebook, in way to busy to be on Facebook and social media is lame anyway. Podcast I can completely agree. Keyboard I have to disagree on because although it took a little longer to get comfortable with compared to my iPhone I can now type just as fast and as accurate. I know a few people that feel like you although I think you coming from a iPhone for such a long time might be a little biased and rightfully so. To me the nexus trump the iPhone for my needs. I use mine for business, its hands down better for it. The Android OS is amazing and its really in its infant state. Apple has always been a little more refined and polished. The next iPhone is going to be the ticket. I'm happy with mine although I find the little issues just that. Little. Sorry you feel that way but trays why we have choices. Look at the bright side. You have the two best phones on the market right now. Enjoy.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I'm not worried about the money spent, believe me I don't have to worry about spending $500. I'm disappointed in the phone no matter what the cost.

As far as research I did do extensive research before purchasing the phone, but the vast majority of the opinions on the phone were positive. You are right, my opinions are subjective, but I think the points I made in my first post are hard to disagree with.

Even though I can return the phone if I wanted to, I will keep it to play around with and maybe root it and play with a few roms, but will not be using it on a daily basis.

I only posted my opinions on switching from the iPhone and they are just that, my opinions. Take it or leave it, I just wanted to voice my concerns as anyone else is also able to do here.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have owned every model iPhone from the 1st Gen to the 3GS. I've been a Mac user since 1984 and I currently own 5 Macs, but I live on all of the Google apps from Gmail, Docs and especially Google Voice.

When the Google voice app was rejected from the app store I gave it 90 days to appear or I said I would move to an Android based phone. Well, it took me longer than 90 days... but 2 weeks ago I ordered a Nexus One.

I absolutely LOVE the Google Voice tie in with the Nexus One, but I have to admit, that is the ONLY thing that I like about this phone better than my old 3GS.

Things I hate about the N1. Every "con" I list below is blown out of the water by the iPhone 3GS.

#1. The screen is terrible when viewing outside here in Arizona. Most of the time I have to shield the entire phone with my body from the sun and even then it's still not very viewable. I NEVER had any issues using my iPhone in the sun at any time.

#2 The screen "smudges" are impossible to get rid of. I probably have to clean this phone 2-3 times a day so it does not look like someone slobbered all over it.

#3. The Facebook app is total crap, it's an embarrassment when compared to the iPhone app and even other non Android based apps. Most of the graphics in the rest of the apps (but not all) make me feel like I am using a late 80's console game system. The screen is so beautiful (when used inside) why can't developers take advantage of it and produce decent animations and graphics?

#4. Podcast apps are a joke, none of them even come close to the basic podcast features and playback of the iPhone. They all feel very clunky and not refined at all.

#5. The default keyboard is terrible and very inaccurate. I've also tried every 3rd party keyboard I can find and have wasted my money on every one. The touch accuracy of the N1 when compared to the iPhone 3GS is a joke.

Now, I am sure I will get flamed here and called an idiot. I really don't care as I won't be responding to this post. I really want to like the N1 and Android, I really do.... But in it's current form I cannot suggest this phone to anyone and suggest if you are a current iPhone user then stick with your iPhone until the Android OS/Hardware improves.

I've now moved back to my iPhone 3GS for full time use and only use the N1 to play with from time to time.

RBasil- as I have also switched over from a 3GS I feel your grief. I have expreienced some of the same issues you bring up - The sun and the smudging. But, there are aspects that are good about it also. I love being able to mount the phone as a external drive and manage the files anyway I want to . I seriously despise iTunes (THE worst program Apple has ever written) and how everything on the iPhone has to funnel through iTunes.
Overall, it's not the iPhone itself that made me switch over to Android, it was the whole "walled garden" aspect of Apple and how they lock all their products down. I too lost my Goggle Voice app. That really pi$$ed me off to.

Personally, I am still on the fence. I may still return my N1 and go back to the iPhone - not sure yet.

Last edited:

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
you are not the only one and i am considering returning it as well.

my issues:
1. screen in the daylight
2. touchscreen accuracy and touchscreen occasionally goes haywire
3. lack of exchange calendar integration
4. lack of ability to change fonts....
5. keyboard accuracy

what i like
1. notifications
2. email is much better than iphone especially if you have more than one acct
3. widgets and themes... just wish they were better. so much potential here

i am thinking if i do cyanogen's mod a lot of things will get better but i think the screen is seriously lacking. if it was subsidized and cost 200 i would probably keep it.

eric

load97

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site

You lied, you responded.

anon(12291)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
You had a 14 day window to play with it - if the screen didn't work in the Arizona sun (a problem with AMOLEDs that had been mentioned by every blog under the sun in their N1 reviews), you should have returned it and tried your luck with a different device.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
You lied, you responded.

I knew I would get a 12 year olds response sooner or later. Thanks for proving me right. :rolleyes:

I guess what it all boils down to is this. If you have an iPhone and are making the switch you will probably be disappointed in many aspects of the phone. Will you be disappointed enough to go back to your iPhone? I'm guessing most will. On the other hand I don't know of very many people who switch to an iPhone and then regret it and want to switch back to their old phone. But I'm hearing this more and more from iPhone to N1 switchers.

That's (in my opinion) the problem. While the N1 is a very good smartphone, it is still a distant #2 when compared to the iPhone. Every smart phone (for the next few years at least) will be compared to the iPhone and the iPhone has a huge head start in form and function. Maybe one day another phone will be just as good (or better) than the iPhone, but unfortunately I don't see that day coming anytime soon.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
You had a 14 day window to play with it - if the screen didn't work in the Arizona sun (a problem with AMOLEDs that had been mentioned by every blog under the sun in their N1 reviews), you should have returned it and tried your luck with a different device.

So you are saying since I can rerun the phone I should not be able to express my disappointment with it?

As stated before, I'm not upset about spending the $500. My post is not about if I can return the phone or not. My post is expressing my disappointment in the phone period. Being able to return the phone is not the point of my post.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I knew I would get a 12 year olds response sooner or later. Thanks for proving me right. :rolleyes:

I guess what it all boils down to is this. If you have an iPhone and are making the switch you will probably be disappointed in many aspects of the phone. Will you be disappointed enough to go back to your iPhone? I'm guessing most will. On the other hand I don't know of very many people who switch to an iPhone and then regret it and want to switch back to their old phone. But I'm hearing this more and more from iPhone to N1 switchers.

That's (in my opinion) the problem. While the N1 is a very good smartphone, it is still a distant #2 when compared to the iPhone. Every smart phone (for the next few years at least) will be compared to the iPhone and the iPhone has a huge head start in form and function. Maybe one day another phone will be just as good (or better) than the iPhone, but unfortunately I don't see that day coming anytime soon.

See, that's where I'm in disagreement with you. I think there are definitely different views on them, but what a person does or does not like will skew how they feel about the phones and what they're willing to overlook in terms of shortcomings. I like the hardware on the iPhone. The screen is nice and the phone has a good physical feel to it. For the types of things that I like to do, the iPhone is not an acceptable phone. The OS is limiting, it's too locked down, and I've never been a fan of the over simplistic UI. That said, I know plenty of people who consider those things a positive. It's an easy and intuitive phone to use from the start and needs very little tinkering for most people to just hop on and go. The locked down nature of the phone keeps things working incredibly smoothly and almost seemlessly, with almost no real fears of a 3rd party app crapping up the phone. But those are positives to some and negatives to others. I think the people who gravitate towards the iPhone would consider those the positives and would find something like the Android OS, Blackberry OS, or WebOS to be substandard for their needs. I don't have a Nexus (Droid here), but I do see some of the same flaws in the Droid as you've had with the Nexus.

I've lost the point of this diatribe, so I'm cutting it short here. :D

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site

#1. The screen is terrible when viewing outside here in Arizona. Most of the time I have to shield the entire phone with my body from the sun and even then it's still not very viewable. I NEVER had any issues using my iPhone in the sun at any time. Sun - I always complained about the brightness in the sun until I turned on auto brightness. It has been working great!

#2 The screen "smudges" are impossible to get rid of. I probably have to clean this phone 2-3 times a day so it does not look like someone slobbered all over it. Smudges - I experience this with the iPhone, many different types of BB's, palms and yes my Droid. This one is universal issue, as I see it.

#3. The Facebook app is total crap, it's an embarrassment when compared to the iPhone app and even other non Android based apps. Most of the graphics in the rest of the apps (but not all) make me feel like I am using a late 80's console game system. The screen is so beautiful (when used inside) why can't developers take advantage of it and produce decent animations and graphics? Which facebook app are we talking about? Some are way better then others.

#4. Podcast apps are a joke, none of them even come close to the basic podcast features and playback of the iPhone. They all feel very clunky and not refined at all.Which one are we talking about? I started using Google Listen, it has been good, until another one comes along.

#5. The default keyboard is terrible and very inaccurate. I've also tried every 3rd party keyboard I can find and have wasted my money on every one. The touch accuracy of the N1 when compared to the iPhone 3GS is a joke. The android key way WAY better then the Storm 1, and I have not tried Storm 2's KB but on the Droid, I fly using the VKB.

This is not a flamed against you, just adding my two cents. As I do not have a N1, but I do have a Droid. My opinion I prefer the android above the other smartphones I had in the past. I really enjoyed multi-tasking, granted other have it, but I like how android does it. Copy and paste can be little bit better, multi touch is GREAT! Be able to write your own apps, if one wishes is fantastic. Plus android is open source!

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
you are not the only one and i am considering returning it as well.

my issues:
1. screen in the daylight I started using auto brightness and it is helping out a lot.
2. touchscreen accuracy and touchscreen occasionally goes haywire Can't comment on that since I do not own a N1
3. lack of exchange calendar integration
4. lack of ability to change fonts.... If rooted you can edit a file and install your own font. There are free font packs in android market.
5. keyboard accuracy I like using HTC keyboard as your can calibrate for you.

what i like
1. notifications Would love if Bellshare would release their BerryBuzz for android.
2. email is much better than iphone especially if you have more than one acct
3. widgets and themes... just wish they were better. so much potential here Very true, plus you have the option up to unlimited home screens and wallpaper, plus customize each screen the way you want it.

i am thinking if i do cyanogen's mod a lot of things will get better but i think the screen is seriously lacking. if it was subsidized and cost 200 i would probably keep it.

eric

Please see my comments above. These are my opinions.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Auto brightness has not helped me. Maybe it's just the Arizona sun, who knows. I wish it did as this and the terrible keyboard / touchscreen accuracy are my two main complaints. If I could get these two things even close to the iPhone then I would stick with the N1.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Auto brightness has not helped me. Maybe it's just the Arizona sun, who knows. I wish it did as this and the terrible keyboard / touchscreen accuracy are my two main complaints. If I could get these two things even close to the iPhone then I would stick with the N1.

That sucks about the auto brightness. Have you tried the HTC Keyboard? I am going to reinstall this on my Droid, since I updated to 2.1 this morning.