FM radio in Nexus One?

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Does the N1 have an FM radio? There's no mention in Google's official spec sheet, (to my knowledge.) But I've heard the hardware is there and now a mention of a software update could enable this function.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
After reading the Incredible manual noticing by default they had the FM tuner and an app the you can use out of the box...I was also wondering if this was a future possibility for the Nexus One with a software update.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt it. Think about all the specialty ROMS everyone is rooting with. If there was a disabled FM radio in the N1, don't you think this would have been enabled by rooting by now?

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
There are people working on getting the radio working, only problem is that there isn't a driver available yet, or at least the last time I checked on the XDA forums

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt it. Think about all the specialty ROMS everyone is rooting with. If there was a disabled FM radio in the N1, don't you think this would have been enabled by rooting by now?

This was the case on iPod Touch as well...well bluetooth. There was the hardware inside, but no one could get it properly working even after Jailbreaking it. So I do think it's possible for the N1 to have FM radio tuner in it, but just hasn't been unlocked yet. But if there is no hardware, there is no hardware and I don't know the answer to that question.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Just because the chip supports FM radio doesn't mean the board it's mounted to has the traces connected, also there may not be an antenna attached for it to pickup stations.

Now it would be very cool if it did!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Just because the chip supports FM radio doesn't mean the board it's mounted to has the traces connected, also there may not be an antenna attached for it to pickup stations.

Now it would be very cool if it did!

Since the N1 is basically the Desire (and Incredible), the chip is there and its almost certainly connected. It would not make ANY sense manufacturing wise for HTC to put out three different phones containing near identical hardware (processor, et. al) and then have one phone with an FM chip not connected to the board. It just doesn't make any sense.

The antenna is also a moot point; on devices like these, the headphone cord IS the antenna.

I would bet money that the chip is there, but it was not enabled by HTC and Google by default. Reason? There wasn't an app ready to actually use it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Android Central podcast has some words about the FM radio being made available in the next release. Worth a listen.

veldargk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
We've seen wireless N running as of a couple days ago. Popped out by cyanogen and running on kmobs phone. As for the FM radio, it IS there.. and will very likely be officially enabled with the Froyo 2.2 update.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd love a radio app, but I'd be more excited about an FM transmitter.

I can't see much use for the transmitter. I suppose for use in a car with no AUX input.

The interesting thing about the specs of that Broadcom chip is that it supports 801.11 a/b/g/n. How long before we see the N capability turned on?

ekoulak

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
n capability is already in use by some devs, there is a vid on youtube proving that it works, as far as i know its being released in the next ota update

sjdean

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why FM Radio isn't enabled on the NexusOne.

I really want a 'droid device, and am weighing up the pros and cons between the NexusOne and Desire. For sure, speech to text is a big plus, as are noise cancelling microphones.

But why does the NexusOne lack an FM App?

If the rumours about FroYo are true, then the hardware is there in the N1. It can't be the android version. Is it drivers or apps? And why must people wait for FroYo? Why does Google seem to be dragging their heels?

Cya
Simon

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I can't see much use for the transmitter. I suppose for use in a car with no AUX input.

The interesting thing about the specs of that Broadcom chip is that it supports 801.11 a/b/g/n. How long before we see the N capability turned on?

I don't have an AUX input for my stereo, because I wouldn't know how to install it if I bought one. And no Bluetooth, so CD and radio are my only options.