Love the phone hate the battery life

noaim

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking that I may by that seido extended battery because I cant get through a entire day on the battery with this thing. Does anyone have the extended battery and can vouch for the fact that you can make a entire day with a good amount of use on that battery?

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
take a look at what you have running in the background, my AT&T one was getting 2 days when it was new out of the box. Now that I am signed into everything, doing geo updates, have all my apps loaded, I am at a day. I am currently running haptic off and auto brightness on.

noaim

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have haptic off and auto brightness on and I cant get a day I have 2 batterys so I know its not the battery.... turning it to edge saves quite a bit of battery but I prefer to run with 3g

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
You have auto brightness on, but there are three levels. On the power control, I have it with the light off. Saves a boatload of battery life.

cgjja

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Far away solution?

I am one of the many people who is not satisfied with the Nexus One's battery life. I have been searching the web since I got my phone and beside a few posts in different forums, which provided some very good advice for improving the battery life, I couldn't find any other possible solutions (neither software, nor hardware related) for this problem. But today, I came across a product for the iPhone (yes, I know, I know) called Power Skin from MiLi, so I decided to contact them and see if they were working on something similar for the Nexus One. The fact is that they are playing with the idea/project, but right now they only have this idea in their "drawing board" with no time line. My communications with them were only through email, but I was surprised by how interested they were in hearing my suggestions, and they went as far as giving me the contact information for 4 for people in the company, in case I had more questions or suggestions for them. This actually make me believe that they are very interested in the project, but maybe concerned with the profitability of the project.

I know that there are a lot of frustrated people out there, I do share some of that frustration, but I am also one of the many who LOVE the Nexus One, I think that this phone is amazing and my only grievance is the phone's battery life (No, I don't have any 3G issues), and I think that a product from this company will be a great solution to the battery situation. This case/skin (if made) will power and protect the Nexus One at the same time, plus it will maintain the beauty and form factor of the phone, which is not the case with the only similar product out there (Seidio Innocell 3200mAh Extended Life Battery). I think that most of us like this phone for three major reasons: 1. Android give us the FREEDOM to do with it whatever we want, 2. It is GREAT LOOKING, and 3. I will discuss below.

You can check the company at milidirect.com, and there are videos in youtube, just search for MiLi Power Skin.

If after seeing the videos, you agree with me, please post your suggestions for the company and I will try to get them to look at this post, well, if there are enough people interested.

My main reason for commenting here is that I want to see this product in the future, and I don't think that R&D and manufacturing will be an issue for MiLi, the problem is that the company is making products for a very large market right now, and although we are a very large community of users/owners (150K and counting), here is where #3 above comes in, we are not visible (I have yet to meet another Nexus One owner) and we like the fact that we have a phone that nobody else has (yes, I like to show off my Nexus One and so do you), but when it comes to accessories for the phone, it is not such a good thing.

So what I am trying to do is to create some noise and get people talking about this product in this forum and other blogs, so the company can see that there is a market. Also, I hope that people contact the company directly as well, so they can see that there is definitely an interest from our community.

Finally, I DON'T WORK FOR THE COMPANY, I just want to clarify this, and also that this product DOES NOT exist yet, but I think that we can get it built and probably become the best accessory out there for the Nexus One.

We as consumers can influence the market and some times manufacturers, I hope that if you took the time to read this reply, you can take the time to get this thing going.

tkao2025

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I get through about 7 hours than I need to recharge......Battery is not good, but I'm always in my office or not too far away from a charge. If you're out of a charge area, I would be upset about it too:(

robsw

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious, what phones were you using before the Nexus? The battery definitely last shorter than my previous blackberries and my Nokia E series phones, but overall is as good or better than my iPhones were. Less battery life is the price you pay for a large screen and lots of app use.

cgjja

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with tkao2025, I am always around a charger, but I get really worry as soon as I get the 30% battery notification. I travel sometimes and I don't think that the phone will make it to my destination without having to find an outlet, and I don't like the idea of having an extra battery in my pocket, that's why I posted my comment about the MiLi Power Skin.

tjnorman57

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got a desktop dock and the car dock. Solves the problem of keeping the battery charge. I do have an extra battery but don't need it anymore with the docks.

veldargk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Suggestions:

1. Get Advanced Task Killer and place widget on your desktop. Make sure you end unused processes regularly and ignore commonly used things.

2. Try flashing an undervolted kernel (if you don't know what I'm talking about make SURE you do your research at xda-developers before trying something like this).

3. Screen brightness at about 35% (no I do not use auto brightness) and timeout at 30 sec. (You should ideally lock your phone whenever you're not using it - do not wait for it to auto time out).

4. Haptic feedback off.

5. Check your sync settings. If you do not absolutely need your twitter, email, weather, and facebook updates every 5 minutes. Change these. Stuff like this will have a huge impact on battery life.

6. As tough as it may be, try not to use the phone 24/7 like me. Of course it's not going to last a day under these conditions :p.

EDIT:

7. Turn live wallpapers off.

8. If you're not using the bluetooth, wifi, or gps antennas use your powerbar to turn them off.

Jim

Last edited:

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Suggestions:

1. Get Advanced Task Killer and place widget on your desktop. Make sure you end unused processes regularly and ignore commonly used things.

2. Try flashing an undervolted kernel (if you don't know what I'm talking about make SURE you do your research at xda-developers before trying something like this).

3. Screen brightness at about 35% (no I do not use auto brightness) and timeout at 30 sec. (You should ideally lock your phone whenever you're not using it - do not wait for it to auto time out).

4. Haptic feedback off.

5. Check your sync settings. If you do not absolutely need your twitter, email, weather, and facebook updates every 5 minutes. Change these. Stuff like this will have a huge impact on battery life.

6. As tough as it may be, try not to use the phone 24/7 like me. Of course it's not going to last a day under these conditions :p.

EDIT:

7. Turn live wallpapers off.

8. If you're not using the bluetooth, wifi, or gps antennas use your powerbar to turn them off.

Jim

Other than the undervolted kernel, that is pretty much how I run mine. I am getting a full day no problem (off the charger at 8am, battery is ~45% at 10pm). When it was new out of the box, I could go a full 2 days. It wasn't until I started adding all my apps that it started draining quicker. Email polling, weatherbug and screen were my biggest culprits.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
You don't need a auto task killer as the android system kills tasks only when that memory is needed by another program. It takes just as much battery to hold that open space in memory as it does to have an app sitting in the background doing nothing. You shouldn't need an UV Kernel to get a day from your battery. Also at idle EDGE actually uses more power than 3G, only slightly mind you. At full use 3G obviously uses more but i'm sure we would all agree to give up a little battery for speed. WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR is apps that are NOT ALLOWING THE PHONE TO SLEEP. If you look at your apps, Settings>Manage Applications. Select an app and scroll down to see its permissions. I'll give you a prime example. Weatherbug, great app but it sucks you r battery life if you use it as a widget or enable from the jump. It doesnt allow the system to sleep, the system is always running when there is no need. What i suggest that you do is fully discharge the battery, charge it up fully with the phone off overnight. When you turn it back on start deleting apps ONE BY ONE to see whats causing the battery drain. I use to get the same battery life as most of you. Maybe a good 7-8 hours. Once I figured out what was causing the battery drain i changed my settings for that app. A good tool is systempanel, free for now in the market. ANDROID DOES NOT NEED A TASK KILLER. I can easily go a full day with heavy usage and still have around 20% by 11pm. My day starts at 6am so i say thats is pretty damn good. Ten times better than my iphone and hangs with my BB. I hope this helps some of you and i hope it doesn't offend any as this wasn't my intention. If you need help or have any questions feel free to PM me and i will respond as quickly as i can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34