Is this even going to be considered?

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
So obviously hardware wise the Nexus 10 is on par or better with the iPad. But will people even consider this with Google's shortages of tablet-made apps? This means apps that are made soley for tablets or apps that are truely optimized and not just operable with a bigger screen. I don't just mean games but apps for business people. We need word processing, presentation tools, etc. For students, this means handwriting apps, note taking apps, etc. Such apps are available for phones but are not as useful as they would be if it were optimized for the bigger screen.

So what do you guys think?

I've been with Apple for a long time but with iOS 6 and the lack of new useful features (actually, it lost functionality), I'm looking at Android and I'm looking for a tablet. I've waited for the Nexus 10 to come out to make my decision and the hardware is amazing, the Android as a whole is amazing, but right now the tablet apps are eh at best. Is this something I can depend on for productivity for school and work or will it flop and yield superiority to the iPad as other 10 inch Android tablets have?

tdream

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even though the nexus 10 is made by Samsung. I believe Samsung will make their own tablet version better. If it has a Wacom digitiser and an sd card slot, make the body out of a grippy material and you've got a winner.

On tablet apps, I think if I was a developer I would code for iOS as I know its got a huge tablet userbase. It's a few years ahead of android and the monetisation is much better on iOS, mainly because of the walled garden approach, easier testing and validation ie. only have to test for one device or two now. However Samsung and Wacom with their in built apps are proving they can compete with note taking. Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit so we can get some healthy competition and the note taking apps will improve quickly.

The nexus 10 is very appealing, the power, the price, the screen quality, pure android, but I know I'd pick up a Wacom android tab in a heartbeat.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I like the 7" form factor for an e-reader/netflix/web browsing/game apps type of tablet--which is exactly how they're marketing the N10: http://www.google.com/nexus/10/index.html.

Aside from some beefed up features like higher resolution, I just don't see this as a different device from the N7; and there's no point in getting a larger 10" tab for twice as much $$ unless you reaally want that larger screen. Like you said, for productivity, we need better apps and/or actual programs. Wouldn't a lot of apps not look so great with " dazzling 2560-by-1600"?

//anyone else think it's kind of weird how they're marketing this as a "shareable" device? it's great/creative that they included that feature, but it's weird to have that listed first and foremost since I can't imagine that many people would use it.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So obviously hardware wise the Nexus 10 is on par or better with the iPad. But will people even consider this with Google's shortages of tablet-made apps? This means apps that are made soley for tablets or apps that are truely optimized and not just operable with a bigger screen. I don't just mean games but apps for business people. We need word processing, presentation tools, etc. For students, this means handwriting apps, note taking apps, etc. Such apps are available for phones but are not as useful as they would be if it were optimized for the bigger screen.

I've been with Apple for a long time but with iOS 6 and the lack of new useful features (actually, it lost functionality), I'm looking at Android and I'm looking for a tablet. I've waited for the Nexus 10 to come out to make my decision and the hardware is amazing, the Android as a whole is amazing, but right now the tablet apps are eh at best. Is this something I can depend on for productivity for school and work or will it flop and yield superiority to the iPad as other 10 inch Android tablets have?

with nexus 7 tons of apps get updated to support 7 inch form factor, ie tablet. thats was the first step.

after nexus 7 was released about 3 months ago 5-6 apps that i use got tablet support and its growing. Nexus 10 is the next step toward that goal.
it only gets better.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Because as everyone and their brother complain about on this site is Touchwiz, which in my opinion is decent. Earlier versions of touchwiz were bad, but like everything, it has gotten better with time.

I am writing this on my Note 10 and find everything mentioned previously except for "pure android" to be on par with mentioned software and hardware.

Once you get people to accept Samsung more, and I don't mean buying something just to root it right out of the box, then the realization that an Apple killer has been there the whole time amongst the crowd of android tablets.

I will put my Note 10 up against an iPad any day just to show that it is better at what I need it for. Things like taking notes, editing documents, creating documents, handwriting recognition, the S Pen, hardware specs and more. Needless to say, I use my tablet for more than just watching videos, playing games and music or twitter and Facebook.

When Apple makes a tablet that steps up to the plate and offers real world uses for business and productivity, maybe I will change my tune.

As for the Nexus 10, expect this to be Samsung's Galaxy Tab 3 With SD slot included.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This is why Apple's IPad will always be better and it hurts for me to admit that.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Everybody complains that there are no tablet apps for Android. That's not my experience.

You were talking about note-taking apps. Catch.com, Springpad, and Evernote all have tablet apps, some for a long time now, and they look great IMO. I'm sure there are others.

Quill and Sketchbook work well for drawing. Yes yes, tablet-optimized.

For "office people" there is Quickoffice and OfficeSuite Pro.

There are plenty more. Seriously. Just look at the Play store instead of putting too much weight into what tech blogs go on about.

I'm not saying there isn't work to do, but I think the situation is a bit overblown.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
This is why Apple's IPad will always be better and it hurts for me to admit that.

I don't think it will always be like that with more and more Android tablets coming to the market!

Well for note taking, I find Evernote to be awesomely optimized :)
I do wish we have an app as polished as Pages on iPad but I use Office suite Pro and its work great! Also, I have come across very few apps that I want, that aren't available and don't have a good alternative!

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7

crankyd00d

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Have you considered the Galaxy Note 2? IMO Samsung would have a winner if they made a tablet with decent specs and the stylus functionality of the Note 2

jncryer

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Why not the Note 10.1?
The note 10.1 is about $250 overpriced for what it is. Its a poor resolution, flimsy, slow tablet with a nice stylus and a bundle of specialized handwriting apps.
If the Nexus 10 had the S-Pen with the same note-taking/drawing apps that the note does, it'd be a winner. I'd pay $450-$500 for that.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't Google Doc's work on the nexus 10. Not sure if the tablet version is as good as pages or office.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Everybody complains that there are no tablet apps for Android. That's not my experience.

You were talking about note-taking apps. Catch.com, Springpad, and Evernote all have tablet apps, some for a long time now, and they look great IMO. I'm sure there are others.

Quill and Sketchbook work well for drawing. Yes yes, tablet-optimized.

For "office people" there is Quickoffice and OfficeSuite Pro.

There are plenty more. Seriously. Just look at the Play store instead of putting too much weight into what tech blogs go on about.

I'm not saying there isn't work to do, but I think the situation is a bit overblown.

I don't dispute that it has some notetaking apps. But the notetaking app I currently use on my iPad is far superior than just any note taking app. A tablet is much like a virtual notebook and it is much faster to write and draw than to type notes. That's why I have Notes Plus on iPad. It allows me to use a stylus to write and draw shapes on the same page. It's just like a notebook but it gets better with handwriting recognition which turns my handwriting into text. THAT is something I want and as a student, I can't get a tablet without rich features like this.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I toyed with a co-workers first gen Asus Transformer to get an idea of the apps and I was extremely disappointed. My wife has an iPad3 (I'm still pissed about Apple pulling this iPad4 crap) and the apps are phenomenal. The DirecTV, ESPN, Twitter, Facebook, etc apps on Android tablets aren't just bad...they are complete garbage. It's almost embarrassing. I really want to buy an Android tablet and I thought the Nexus 10 was finally the hardware I was looking for, but it's hard to believe any Android tablet is worth the money if the apps stay this way.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
//anyone else think it's kind of weird how they're marketing this as a "shareable" device? it's great/creative that they included that feature, but it's weird to have that listed first and foremost since I can't imagine that many people would use it.

I would buy it for that reason alone. To me, and my household, that is a HUGE selling feature. And that's one that sets them apart from the competition, so I can see why the lead in with that. That's a HUGE feature, in my opinion.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Anyone that says having user switching is not needed... ...likely doesn't have a wife and/or kids.

My wife really doesn't use our current tablet beyond watching netflix while running on the treadmill. She isn't comfortable with the way I have it laid out and I'm not comfortable plastering the homescreen with app shortcuts.

I'm interested in knowing how the user switching will work. If you have two profiles, and one of them has a bunch of crap that runs in the background (monitoring facebook, twitter, weather updates, etc.) and the other one doesn't; will all that crap still be running in the background when the other profile is active?

-Suntan

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
now that we have an official nexus tablet, i think the nexus brand will become more mainstream and in turn will spur devs into creating more apps for the nexus. It may take some time but i have no doubt the android app ecosystem will be just as good as apples.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't dispute that it has some notetaking apps. But the notetaking app I currently use on my iPad is far superior than just any note taking app. A tablet is much like a virtual notebook and it is much faster to write and draw than to type notes. That's why I have Notes Plus on iPad. It allows me to use a stylus to write and draw shapes on the same page. It's just like a notebook but it gets better with handwriting recognition which turns my handwriting into text. THAT is something I want and as a student, I can't get a tablet without rich features like this.

Notes Plus looks very impressive. Thanks for the reference. Their website says they have plans for an Android version but not in the near future. I have no problems waiting, and using one of the other apps available for Android in the meanwhile.

Let me say what has led me to move away from the Note 10.1. - the review on The Verge. It was a walkthrough of some of the multi-tasking and Samsung apps using the S-Pen and I was stunned by how sub-optimal the user experience is. I think a great note-taking app like Note Plus or an equivalent with a stylus on the Nexus 10 is the way to go.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I want games, multimedia and work capable apps for tablet use. Google really needs to push the developers (cash incentives if necessary) to get this going. What is motivating is the price point, the over all tech specs, Google OS updates vs waiting for ever but the final nail was having bought an iPad 3 LTE 3 months ago and having Apple make me so butt hurt with the new iPad 4 Retina (when the iPad 3 was already Retina) that was it. The iPad 3 was a prize I won at work and I paid the difference to get the LTE version but no more. Mine is going up for sale this weekend so I can get the Nexus 10 next week. FU Apple.