Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by itsmax View Post
    I never use Android Tablet before and I'm considering between N7 and N10.

I like 10" form factor but from what I heard the app that optimized for 10" numbers are very small,
    so if anyone own Xoom/TF, can you tell me how apps work on 10" tablet.
    Like does App Optimized to use on 10" space properly? Ugly/Beautiful UI? or its just a smartphone apps stretch out?

While N7 is a mass success for Android Tablet, it surely will get lots of apps optimized for it.
    7" would not be my ideal, But if its great, its better choice for me.

Thanks for your replied in advanced
    As far as optimization, scaled-up phone apps aren't always as bad as they sound. On my Nexus 7, I use plenty of non-tablet optimized apps and they aren't blurry or hard to used and most work great. Of course, this might be a bit less appealing on a bigger tablet with a higher screen-res but I think that the rate of tablet optimization is pretty good.

Otherwise, I love the 7-inch form factor of my Nexus 7. If I wanted a bigger tablet though, the Nexus 10 would be my first choice.

Of course, it mainly depends on what you plan to do with your device; Gaming, working, watching etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    itsmax 

I have a 10" tablet (TF101.)

Honestly, I can only think of one or two apps, both cheap children's games, that don't format well on the tablet.

All the other apps run just fine on the tablet. Yes, apps that are specifically tailored to a tablet setup have more densly packed option buttons, instead of having multiple menus of buttons, but in reality it isn't a big deal. The apps are still fully functional on a tablet.

I never really got the notion that android "doesn't have tablet apps" when I heard it, and it confused me, because most every app I load on the tablet works fine. Then I realized that the people that were claiming android has no tablet apps were mostly apple fans making pointless arguments.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I have a 10" tablet (TF101.)

Honestly, I can only think of one or two apps, both cheap children's games, that don't format well on the tablet.

All the other apps run just fine on the tablet. Yes, apps that are specifically tailored to a tablet setup have more densly packed option buttons, instead of having multiple menus of buttons, but in reality it isn't a big deal. The apps are still fully functional on a tablet.

I never really got the notion that android "doesn't have tablet apps" when I heard it, and it confused me, because most every app I load on the tablet works fine. Then I realized that the people that were claiming android has no tablet apps were mostly apple fans making pointless arguments.

-Suntan
    Unfortunately, there's a big difference between "apps that work on a tablet" and "tablet apps". I loathe Apple...but my wife has an iPhone and an iPad so I'm definitely familiar with them and I use the iPad frequently while I wait for my perfect Android tablet. Having messed around with a co-workers Transformer 1st-gen, the apps are definitely not there. The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen. On the Android tablet, they are merely scaled up versions of the phone app. Albeit, they look better than scaled up phone apps on the iPad because it has intelligent scaling instead of trying to make a 4px X 4px icon into a 16px X 16px icon just scaling. But there is NO CONTEST between some big time apps on Android and iOS. Look at those two apps on both ecosystems and tell me that it's not a major difference. They may still be usable on Android, but the experience is not the same.
    Thanked by:
    itsmax 

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
    Unfortunately, there's a big difference between "apps that work on a tablet" and "tablet apps". I loathe Apple...but my wife has an iPhone and an iPad so I'm definitely familiar with them and I use the iPad frequently while I wait for my perfect Android tablet. Having messed around with a co-workers Transformer 1st-gen, the apps are definitely not there. The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen. On the Android tablet, they are merely scaled up versions of the phone app. Albeit, they look better than scaled up phone apps on the iPad because it has intelligent scaling instead of trying to make a 4px X 4px icon into a 16px X 16px icon just scaling. But there is NO CONTEST between some big time apps on Android and iOS. Look at those two apps on both ecosystems and tell me that it's not a major difference. They may still be usable on Android, but the experience is not the same.
    If I remember it correctly, Transformer 1st Gen is only 1 and a half year ago, right?
    How about major apps nowadays? like Facebook, Twitter, Kindle ( unfortunately, my country support only Google Play Apps, No Movies/Books ), NAVER Line, Root Explorer?

I'm sure Games are ok, 3d rendering + vector should scale up well with little effort from developers.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by itsmax View Post
    If I remember it correctly, Transformer 1st Gen is only 1 and a half year ago, right?
    How about major apps nowadays? like Facebook, Twitter, Kindle ( unfortunately, my country support only Google Play Apps, No Movies/Books ), NAVER Line, Root Explorer?

I'm sure Games are ok, 3d rendering + vector should scale up well with little effort from developers.
    Yes, it's an older device, but I was using it this week and had downloaded the most recent app updates. Those apps are my experience from this week, not from when it came out. And it wasn't the only example. DirecTV, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook were all worse on Android than iOS (Facebook less so, but it still had annoyances, it was still worse overall)
    Last edited by sumx4182; 11-02-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    Thanked by:
    itsmax 
    itsmax likes this.

Yes, it's an older device, but I was using it this week and had downloaded the most recent app updates. Those apps are my experience from this week, not from when it came out. And it wasn't the only example. DirecTV, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook were all worse on Android than iOS (Facebook less so, but it still had annoyances, it was still worse overall)
    I won't disagree that tablet formatted apps tend to make better use of the screen.

My comments were more to clear up the notion that "non-tablet optimized" apps are still completely usable on an android tablet.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:
    itsmax and TomsAndroid like this.

I won't disagree that tablet formatted apps tend to make better use of the screen.

My comments were more to clear up the notion that "non-tablet optimized" apps are still completely usable on an android tablet.

-Suntan
    I'll agree with that. They work fine. You can still get the information that you need. It's just not as refined of an experience and not as enjoyable sometimes. Unfortunately though, some apps are definitely missing features compared to their iOS counterparts. I don't think the DirecTV app for Android can watch TV or recorded shows and that is a major buzzkill. That experience is great on my wife's iPad. In fact, I can watch shows while running on the treadmill and I don't have to pay DTV monthly for an additional receiver in my basement.
    itsmax likes this.

I don't have any experience with direct TV.

That said, I usually use Netflix to watch shows while on the treadmill. Or else I use Splashtop to acess the DVRd shows on the media server.

-Suntan

-Suntan
    Taken straight from the Engadget review:

Remember when the new iPad shipped and everyone was scrambling to update their apps to support it? There's no need here. The way Android is structured, apps just natively support the higher resolution. We tried dozens of apps, including third-party browsers like Dolphin and lots of different random utilities and games, and we didn't spot a hint of blurry text.

Of course, some feature graphics and assets that could use a higher degree of polish now that they're being consumed at such a preposterous resolution, and those with less than 20/20 vision may be squinting at some occasionally tiny text, but on average it's a big step above the blurry messes that many tablet apps were on the Retina iPad when it first launched. (A state that, we're happy to say, has long since passed thanks to the quick work of all those devs.)
    -Suntan
    Thanked by 2:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Taken straight from the Engadget review:

-Suntan
    You're still kind of arguing a point that no one is really opposing. We all agree that the apps will scale okay and that it won't just look like a blurry mess. Tablet-optimized is a whole 'nother story.
    teffects likes this.

Here is Gizmodo's Hands on

Interesting that they ran into problems running Dead Trigger at high graphics settings. There is alos nice image of a poorly scaled app though they make it clear this is far from comon.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

You're still kind of arguing a point that no one is really opposing. We all agree that the apps will scale okay and that it won't just look like a blurry mess. Tablet-optimized is a whole 'nother story.
    I wasn't arguing anything.

I was providing a point of view for anyone that hasn't used a 10" tablet.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Selling my Nexus 7 and buying this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Quote Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
    Why? (Just out of interest).

Sent from my Nexus 7

+2. Getting another Nexus 7. 32GB with 3G data this time, same price I paid for my 16GB wifi only.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

Quote Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
    I'm buyng an N7 today. But will still be ordering the N10 when the time comes. imo, 10" tablets just aren't optimized for hand held gaming. Too big to hold comfortably and the screen layout requires too much thumb reaching.

-Suntan

Thinking of getting one! Was planning to get the Nexus 7 but held back because a 7-inch tablet seemed redundant. I have a Kindle Touch I use for dedicated reading and a Note2 for everything else. So most likely the tablet will be a device im keeping at home and this is perfect for times I need a larger screen. Also it allows multiple users so even if my sibs tinker with it we can keep separate apps, email accounts etc. Im not really worried about the tablet apps. Im pretty sure that with a nexus tablet out, and the almost near certainty of having one every year, devs will be clamoring to fill up a niche which has been largely empty. It's a huge opportunity.

So yeah I want the N10. I'm getting it as soon as someone brings it to the Philippines! The question is how soon that would be!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by BruhMan View Post
    This doesn't even hold a candle to the Galaxy Note 10.1
    Of course it doesn't. Tablets don't have hands. They can't hold candles.

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Of course it doesn't. Tablets don't have hands. They can't hold candles.
    Hahaha. I like the way you retort, mister.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by alikoyyy View Post
    Hahaha. I like the way you retort, mister.

Why, thank you :-P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by alikoyyy View Post
    Thinking of getting one! Was planning to get the Nexus 7 but held back because a 7-inch tablet seemed redundant. I have a Kindle Touch I use for dedicated reading and a Note2 for everything else. So most likely the tablet will be a device im keeping at home and this is perfect for times I need a larger screen. Also it allows multiple users so even if my sibs tinker with it we can keep separate apps, email accounts etc. Im not really worried about the tablet apps. Im pretty sure that with a nexus tablet out, and the almost near certainty of having one every year, devs will be clamoring to fill up a niche which has been largely empty. It's a huge opportunity.

So yeah I want the N10. I'm getting it as soon as someone brings it to the Philippines! The question is how soon that would be!

Yeah, if you already have a Kindle Touch and a Note 2, a 10-inch tablet would be better for you. And the Nexus 10 is the best one out there. But I don't know when or if Google will ship to other countries like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Yeah, if you already have a Kindle Touch and a Note 2, a 10-inch tablet would be better for you. And the Nexus 10 is the best one out there. But I don't know when or if Google will ship to other countries like yours.

Which is why I said "someone". Might ask one of my friends to get it in the US. )

The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen.
    I can't make comment on score center, it was one of the worst apps I used on iOS, and just as bad on Android. I haven't had it loaded on a device in at least 2 years. Much better options are out there that don't consume all my battery and actually have Widgets.

Weather app though, while the same for phone and tablet on Android it's well sorted in landscape view to show what you want. I'm very content with it. I suppose if you don't like to consume in landscape it might be annoying.

It's all personal preference and I personally will never choose iOS again so long as I would be forced to interact with my device through iTunes when connected to my computer. IMO that is apple's biggest weakness, and the app issue for Android will get better, but apple shows no sign of leaving iTunes.

Now this nexus 10, I'll be getting one asap, that's what I think. Only dissatisfaction is 32gb and no 64gb.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by samagon View Post
    I can't make comment on score center, it was one of the worst apps I used on iOS, and just as bad on Android. I haven't had it loaded on a device in at least 2 years. Much better options are out there that don't consume all my battery and actually have Widgets.

Weather app though, while the same for phone and tablet on Android it's well sorted in landscape view to show what you want. I'm very content with it. I suppose if you don't like to consume in landscape it might be annoying.

It's all personal preference and I personally will never choose iOS again so long as I would be forced to interact with my device through iTunes when connected to my computer. IMO that is apple's biggest weakness, and the app issue for Android will get better, but apple shows no sign of leaving iTunes.

Now this nexus 10, I'll be getting one asap, that's what I think. Only dissatisfaction is 32gb and no 64gb.
    If you have an Android tablet, look at the Weather Channel app...then look at at the slideshow at the end of this:

Also, since you haven't seen Scorecenter in years, you just don't know. More pretty pictures here:

These are the kind of apps Android needs. These are big name app makers. If ESPN and The Weather Channel aren't bothering to code for your tablets, small developers probably don't want to either. It has to change.

If you have an Android tablet, look at the Weather Channel app...then look at at the slideshow at the end of this:

Also, since you haven't seen Scorecenter in years, you just don't know. More pretty pictures here:

These are the kind of apps Android needs. These are big name app makers. If ESPN and The Weather Channel aren't bothering to code for your tablets, small developers probably don't want to either. It has to change.
    The weather channel app for iOS does nothing for me compared to the Android version in landscape, I actually prefer the Android version. Buttons on the side versus on the bottom are great as a matter of fact.

The stuff available from the iOS score center app are nice, but nothing I can't access via the browser.

I guess my point is, I don't envy iOS users or the app selection they have available. It's something users should be aware of, but I'm confident that developers are going to begin paying attention to the Android tablet market in the way you desire.
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast