What do you all think?

KKDiamond

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think I am drooling to get a Nexus 10.

I'm new to tablets, new to android -- and an old codger at that. I'm such a newbie -- and as green as that little image in the Avatar....

-- But I sprung for the Nexus 7-- and I don't know how I lived without it. Semi-seriously, I think Google just invented the Nexus 7 so that I would be come addicted and then be in need of the Nexus 10. I just can't wait to get it. The biggest draw for me is that rear facing camera. I have so much fun with the camera on N7 -- but I use it for gimmicky things like cartoons, comics and walking around narrating and taking movies/videos without being quite able to see what I'm shooting. This device packs more fun that anything.

I just cannot wait to get a N10...counting the days.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I am drooling to get a Nexus 10.

I'm new to tablets, new to android -- and an old codger at that. I'm such a newbie -- and as green as that little image in the Avatar....

-- But I sprung for the Nexus 7-- and I don't know how I lived without it. Semi-seriously, I think Google just invented the Nexus 7 so that I would be come addicted and then be in need of the Nexus 10. I just can't wait to get it. The biggest draw for me is that rear facing camera. I have so much fun with the camera on N7 -- but I use it for gimmicky things like cartoons, comics and walking around narrating and taking movies/videos without being quite able to see what I'm shooting. This device packs more fun that anything.

I just cannot wait to get a N10...counting the days.
seriously.. me too.. i am just frustrated that i have to wait 14 more days.

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get the N10 to replace my TF101, which is not aging gracefully.

The question is, do I also get an N7 for gaming? (10" tablets aren't comfortable to hold for extended gaming, imo.)

-Suntan

lol, this is exactly my thoughts. except the 7" part, I can't seem to justify the need for a 7" tablet when I have a phone that I carry everywhere already, and if I'm going to carry a tablet, it might as well be one big enough to actually use. I don't play many games where it takes advantage of the accelerometer, so when I play bad piggies, or angry birds, it's resting on my lap.

tf101 was a great priced device that gave me the excuse to give a shot to tablets, and now I am aware of the capabilities and usability of a tablet, I'm ready to get one that is 10" and says nexus on the back.

my only misgiving is I wish it came with 64gb, 16gb that I currently have certainly isn't enough, 32gb just seems like it will be better, but it will only slake my thirst, I'll still get it, no doubt about it.

DeeBee85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I held out on a tablet (not including the nook color) for years. I saw no need for one. Then the N7 came out and I figured 'what the heck, only 200 bucks'. Now the N10 comes out and I am searching for any excuse to buy one. I think it looks very, very awesome. Looks like the GF is about to be the proud new owner of a nexus 7.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Definately depends on what you plan to use it for. For me, the N10 would sit on the counter or used when sitting on the couch, etc. for general internet stuff.

The N7 would be the goto for other areas of the house, when in bed or on the pot, etc.

As for gaming, for fps and other fast paced games that require you to hold on and move thumbs at speed, a 10" tablet can be uncomfortable. Yet a 4.8" phone can feel a little small.

Decisions, decisions...

-Suntan

BobJones19

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I like the N10 a lot but, i need way more space, i do a lot of video and media creation. 64GB is still not be enough for me. If the N10 had a sd or micosd or usb, then it would be great, but it doesn't. So I'm not getting a nexus devise until they have ext memory slots or internal memory of 128gb, which hopefully from Google won't be to long.

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The N7 supports USB OTG. I would have to think the N10 will too. OTG dongles cost all of a buck and a half at Amazon.

-Suntan

itsmax

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I never use Android Tablet before and I'm considering between N7 and N10.

I like 10" form factor but from what I heard the app that optimized for 10" numbers are very small,
so if anyone own Xoom/TF, can you tell me how apps work on 10" tablet.
Like does App Optimized to use on 10" space properly? Ugly/Beautiful UI? or its just a smartphone apps stretch out?

While N7 is a mass success for Android Tablet, it surely will get lots of apps optimized for it.
7" would not be my ideal, But if its great, its better choice for me.

Thanks for your replied in advanced

Last edited:

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I never use Android Tablet before and I'm considering between N7 and N10.

I like 10" form factor but from what I heard the app that optimized for 10" numbers are very small,
so if anyone own Xoom/TF, can you tell me how apps work on 10" tablet.
Like does App Optimized to use on 10" space properly? Ugly/Beautiful UI? or its just a smartphone apps stretch out?

While N7 is a mass success for Android Tablet, it surely will get lots of apps optimized for it.
7" would not be my ideal, But if its great, its better choice for me.

Thanks for your replied in advanced

As far as optimization, scaled-up phone apps aren't always as bad as they sound. On my Nexus 7, I use plenty of non-tablet optimized apps and they aren't blurry or hard to used and most work great. Of course, this might be a bit less appealing on a bigger tablet with a higher screen-res but I think that the rate of tablet optimization is pretty good.

Otherwise, I love the 7-inch form factor of my Nexus 7. If I wanted a bigger tablet though, the Nexus 10 would be my first choice.

Of course, it mainly depends on what you plan to do with your device; Gaming, working, watching etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a 10" tablet (TF101.)

Honestly, I can only think of one or two apps, both cheap children's games, that don't format well on the tablet.

All the other apps run just fine on the tablet. Yes, apps that are specifically tailored to a tablet setup have more densly packed option buttons, instead of having multiple menus of buttons, but in reality it isn't a big deal. The apps are still fully functional on a tablet.

I never really got the notion that android "doesn't have tablet apps" when I heard it, and it confused me, because most every app I load on the tablet works fine. Then I realized that the people that were claiming android has no tablet apps were mostly apple fans making pointless arguments.

-Suntan

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a 10" tablet (TF101.)

Honestly, I can only think of one or two apps, both cheap children's games, that don't format well on the tablet.

All the other apps run just fine on the tablet. Yes, apps that are specifically tailored to a tablet setup have more densly packed option buttons, instead of having multiple menus of buttons, but in reality it isn't a big deal. The apps are still fully functional on a tablet.

I never really got the notion that android "doesn't have tablet apps" when I heard it, and it confused me, because most every app I load on the tablet works fine. Then I realized that the people that were claiming android has no tablet apps were mostly apple fans making pointless arguments.

-Suntan
Unfortunately, there's a big difference between "apps that work on a tablet" and "tablet apps". I loathe Apple...but my wife has an iPhone and an iPad so I'm definitely familiar with them and I use the iPad frequently while I wait for my perfect Android tablet. Having messed around with a co-workers Transformer 1st-gen, the apps are definitely not there. The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen. On the Android tablet, they are merely scaled up versions of the phone app. Albeit, they look better than scaled up phone apps on the iPad because it has intelligent scaling instead of trying to make a 4px X 4px icon into a 16px X 16px icon just scaling. But there is NO CONTEST between some big time apps on Android and iOS. Look at those two apps on both ecosystems and tell me that it's not a major difference. They may still be usable on Android, but the experience is not the same.

itsmax

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, there's a big difference between "apps that work on a tablet" and "tablet apps". I loathe Apple...but my wife has an iPhone and an iPad so I'm definitely familiar with them and I use the iPad frequently while I wait for my perfect Android tablet. Having messed around with a co-workers Transformer 1st-gen, the apps are definitely not there. The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen. On the Android tablet, they are merely scaled up versions of the phone app. Albeit, they look better than scaled up phone apps on the iPad because it has intelligent scaling instead of trying to make a 4px X 4px icon into a 16px X 16px icon just scaling. But there is NO CONTEST between some big time apps on Android and iOS. Look at those two apps on both ecosystems and tell me that it's not a major difference. They may still be usable on Android, but the experience is not the same.

If I remember it correctly, Transformer 1st Gen is only 1 and a half year ago, right?
How about major apps nowadays? like Facebook, Twitter, Kindle ( unfortunately, my country support only Google Play Apps, No Movies/Books ), NAVER Line, Root Explorer?

I'm sure Games are ok, 3d rendering + vector should scale up well with little effort from developers.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If I remember it correctly, Transformer 1st Gen is only 1 and a half year ago, right?
How about major apps nowadays? like Facebook, Twitter, Kindle ( unfortunately, my country support only Google Play Apps, No Movies/Books ), NAVER Line, Root Explorer?

I'm sure Games are ok, 3d rendering + vector should scale up well with little effort from developers.
Yes, it's an older device, but I was using it this week and had downloaded the most recent app updates. Those apps are my experience from this week, not from when it came out. And it wasn't the only example. DirecTV, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook were all worse on Android than iOS (Facebook less so, but it still had annoyances, it was still worse overall)

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's an older device, but I was using it this week and had downloaded the most recent app updates. Those apps are my experience from this week, not from when it came out. And it wasn't the only example. DirecTV, Pandora, Twitter, Facebook were all worse on Android than iOS (Facebook less so, but it still had annoyances, it was still worse overall)

I won't disagree that tablet formatted apps tend to make better use of the screen.

My comments were more to clear up the notion that "non-tablet optimized" apps are still completely usable on an android tablet.

-Suntan

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I won't disagree that tablet formatted apps tend to make better use of the screen.

My comments were more to clear up the notion that "non-tablet optimized" apps are still completely usable on an android tablet.

-Suntan

I'll agree with that. They work fine. You can still get the information that you need. It's just not as refined of an experience and not as enjoyable sometimes. Unfortunately though, some apps are definitely missing features compared to their iOS counterparts. I don't think the DirecTV app for Android can watch TV or recorded shows and that is a major buzzkill. That experience is great on my wife's iPad. In fact, I can watch shows while running on the treadmill and I don't have to pay DTV monthly for an additional receiver in my basement.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any experience with direct TV.

That said, I usually use Netflix to watch shows while on the treadmill. Or else I use Splashtop to acess the DVRd shows on the media server.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan

Taken straight from the Engadget review:

Remember when the new iPad shipped and everyone was scrambling to update their apps to support it? There's no need here. The way Android is structured, apps just natively support the higher resolution. We tried dozens of apps, including third-party browsers like Dolphin and lots of different random utilities and games, and we didn't spot a hint of blurry text.

Of course, some feature graphics and assets that could use a higher degree of polish now that they're being consumed at such a preposterous resolution, and those with less than 20/20 vision may be squinting at some occasionally tiny text, but on average it's a big step above the blurry messes that many tablet apps were on the Retina iPad when it first launched. (A state that, we're happy to say, has long since passed thanks to the quick work of all those devs.)

-Suntan

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Taken straight from the Engadget review:

-Suntan
You're still kind of arguing a point that no one is really opposing. We all agree that the apps will scale okay and that it won't just look like a blurry mess. Tablet-optimized is a whole 'nother story.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech