What do you all think?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You're still kind of arguing a point that no one is really opposing. We all agree that the apps will scale okay and that it won't just look like a blurry mess. Tablet-optimized is a whole 'nother story.

I wasn't arguing anything.

I was providing a point of view for anyone that hasn't used a 10" tablet.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Selling my Nexus 7 and buying this.

I'm buyng an N7 today. But will still be ordering the N10 when the time comes. imo, 10" tablets just aren't optimized for hand held gaming. Too big to hold comfortably and the screen layout requires too much thumb reaching.

-Suntan

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of getting one! Was planning to get the Nexus 7 but held back because a 7-inch tablet seemed redundant. I have a Kindle Touch I use for dedicated reading and a Note2 for everything else. So most likely the tablet will be a device im keeping at home and this is perfect for times I need a larger screen. Also it allows multiple users so even if my sibs tinker with it we can keep separate apps, email accounts etc. Im not really worried about the tablet apps. Im pretty sure that with a nexus tablet out, and the almost near certainty of having one every year, devs will be clamoring to fill up a niche which has been largely empty. It's a huge opportunity.

So yeah I want the N10. I'm getting it as soon as someone brings it to the Philippines! The question is how soon that would be!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of getting one! Was planning to get the Nexus 7 but held back because a 7-inch tablet seemed redundant. I have a Kindle Touch I use for dedicated reading and a Note2 for everything else. So most likely the tablet will be a device im keeping at home and this is perfect for times I need a larger screen. Also it allows multiple users so even if my sibs tinker with it we can keep separate apps, email accounts etc. Im not really worried about the tablet apps. Im pretty sure that with a nexus tablet out, and the almost near certainty of having one every year, devs will be clamoring to fill up a niche which has been largely empty. It's a huge opportunity.

So yeah I want the N10. I'm getting it as soon as someone brings it to the Philippines! The question is how soon that would be!

Yeah, if you already have a Kindle Touch and a Note 2, a 10-inch tablet would be better for you. And the Nexus 10 is the best one out there. But I don't know when or if Google will ship to other countries like yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you already have a Kindle Touch and a Note 2, a 10-inch tablet would be better for you. And the Nexus 10 is the best one out there. But I don't know when or if Google will ship to other countries like yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Which is why I said "someone". Might ask one of my friends to get it in the US. :))

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The ESPN Scorecenter and the Weather Channel apps are prime examples. The ESPN app provides so much more information without having to completely change menus or screens. The Weather Channel app on the iPad is gorgeous. It provides all of the information (hourly, right now, day/night, 10-day, etc) from one screen with menus that fold and unfold amongst themselves rather than hitting a line item on a menu bar and switching screen.

I can't make comment on score center, it was one of the worst apps I used on iOS, and just as bad on Android. I haven't had it loaded on a device in at least 2 years. Much better options are out there that don't consume all my battery and actually have Widgets.

Weather app though, while the same for phone and tablet on Android it's well sorted in landscape view to show what you want. I'm very content with it. I suppose if you don't like to consume in landscape it might be annoying.

It's all personal preference and I personally will never choose iOS again so long as I would be forced to interact with my device through iTunes when connected to my computer. IMO that is apple's biggest weakness, and the app issue for Android will get better, but apple shows no sign of leaving iTunes.

Now this nexus 10, I'll be getting one asap, that's what I think. Only dissatisfaction is 32gb and no 64gb.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't make comment on score center, it was one of the worst apps I used on iOS, and just as bad on Android. I haven't had it loaded on a device in at least 2 years. Much better options are out there that don't consume all my battery and actually have Widgets.

Weather app though, while the same for phone and tablet on Android it's well sorted in landscape view to show what you want. I'm very content with it. I suppose if you don't like to consume in landscape it might be annoying.

It's all personal preference and I personally will never choose iOS again so long as I would be forced to interact with my device through iTunes when connected to my computer. IMO that is apple's biggest weakness, and the app issue for Android will get better, but apple shows no sign of leaving iTunes.

Now this nexus 10, I'll be getting one asap, that's what I think. Only dissatisfaction is 32gb and no 64gb.

If you have an Android tablet, look at the Weather Channel app...then look at at the slideshow at the end of this: The Weather Channel iPad App Tops 10 Million Downloads | TechCrunch

Also, since you haven't seen Scorecenter in years, you just don't know. More pretty pictures here: ESPN ScoreCenter App for iPad ? ESPN MediaZone

These are the kind of apps Android needs. These are big name app makers. If ESPN and The Weather Channel aren't bothering to code for your tablets, small developers probably don't want to either. It has to change.

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If you have an Android tablet, look at the Weather Channel app...then look at at the slideshow at the end of this: The Weather Channel iPad App Tops 10 Million Downloads | TechCrunch

Also, since you haven't seen Scorecenter in years, you just don't know. More pretty pictures here: ESPN ScoreCenter App for iPad ? ESPN MediaZone

These are the kind of apps Android needs. These are big name app makers. If ESPN and The Weather Channel aren't bothering to code for your tablets, small developers probably don't want to either. It has to change.

The weather channel app for iOS does nothing for me compared to the Android version in landscape, I actually prefer the Android version. Buttons on the side versus on the bottom are great as a matter of fact.

The stuff available from the iOS score center app are nice, but nothing I can't access via the browser.

I guess my point is, I don't envy iOS users or the app selection they have available. It's something users should be aware of, but I'm confident that developers are going to begin paying attention to the Android tablet market in the way you desire.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The weather channel app for iOS does nothing for me compared to the Android version in landscape, I actually prefer the Android version. Buttons on the side versus on the bottom are great as a matter of fact.

The stuff available from the iOS score center app are nice, but nothing I can't access via the browser.

I guess my point is, I don't envy iOS users or the app selection they have available. It's something users should be aware of, but I'm confident that developers are going to begin paying attention to the Android tablet market in the way you desire.
It's not just the buttons. How about the fact that you don't have to leave a single screen to see all of the information available. You can literally see the 10 day, the 36 hour, the daily, the right now...all on one screen that starts out collapsed and the panes expand amongst themselves to show more info. You basically only have to leave the screen to see the radar map. It's a great apps. And IMHO, apps are better than a browser. They generally load faster and you don't have to hope that the site isn't using Flash (if you haven't hacked flash onto your device), and there's no zooming in and out. Apps make or break a device IMHO. I hope you're right about the developers though. I just think that saying "I can get it on the browser" is a cop-out excuse us Android users use to defend the lack of apps. Yes, it's an option...but it's only a viable option because we're getting the shaft on app quality. We wouldn't do it if the apps didn't blow.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The only apps I really envy, is Garageband. There are some great mixers and synthesizers but nothing compared to Garageband.
Otherwise, I find Android apps to be great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I held out on a tablet (not including the nook color) for years. I saw no need for one. Then the N7 came out and I figured 'what the heck, only 200 bucks'. Now the N10 comes out and I am searching for any excuse to buy one. I think it looks very, very awesome. Looks like the GF is about to be the proud new owner of a nexus 7.

I was kinda iffy on the whole tablet thing, then i got the galaxy tab 10.1 and fell in love, but the tegra 2 was weak so i got the n7 and loved the speed. i have high hopes for the dual core a15, i need this tablet 10 days ago!!!!

tawfiqmp

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why? (Just out of interest).

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well, it's nothing against the Nexus 7 (it's probably the best tablet I've owned), but I wanted a bigger screen. The Nexus 7 is actually perfect in size or a lot of things including reading, but I really wanted something a little bit bigger when it came to watching movies and tv shows. Other than that, there's really no other reason. $200 more for a bigger screen is a lot, I get that, but at the same time, I think I'll be using this a lot more than my Nexus 7 because I didn't like watching videos on it (but that's not to say it's bad for watching videos on, just my personal preference being that I wasn't comfortable watching on that small of a screen).

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I cant wait for my n10...i have to wait til December when I'm in the US... There's nothing that could ruin this tablet for me :p... Been waiting since they released the n7 and I figured this would be coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2