Nexus 10 Wallpaper Size?

dblasphemy

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've searched all over Google in vain for the answer to this question so I thought I would come here and ask the experts. What is the proper size for a Nexus 10 wallpaper? I'm guessing 2560 x 2560 (to account for the user rotating the device) but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks!

~Ryan

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Good question, I guess that would work especially since you would be scrolling across the various pages so you want the theme to scroll with it.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me of just what sort of a hell we're facing re- images on this thing. I get the feeling we'll have to do a lot of wallpaper editing.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Fermentle

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I made a grid in photoshop and played around with various dimensions - sending the image back and forth from my computer to my Nexus 10 - and found some dimensions that work perfectly.

Basic
Width: 1940 px
Height: 1250 px
Resolution: 72 ppi

Of course we have to take into account the N10's awesome resolution of 2560x1600, which equates to resolution of 299 ppi. Thus, keeping the aspect ratio the same as above and setting the resolution at an even 300 ppi, we get the following:

Width: 8083 px
Height: 5208 px
Resolution: 300 ppi

[Edit 11/24 - at a reasonable hour in the evening]

I don't know what I was thinking at 3am when I posted the above, but that resolution is outrageously large. Guess what happens when you scale the size back down and keep the same aspect ratio! You get dimensions of

Width: 2560 px
Height: 1650 px
Resolution: 300 ppi

Duh!

So after all that, all there really is to conclude is that you can design your backgrounds for the exact dimensions Google has advertised. It will still account for the scrolling and will fit quite nicely. I would only note that a height of 1650 seems to fit slightly better. As far as resolution goes, go with whatever you feel is best. IMO, 72 ppi is too low (background seems a little blurry), and 300 ppi is probably too high and creates an unnecessarily large file size. 300 ppi is usually reserved for printing, not computer displays. I would recommend you find something in between that works for you.

Now go design something cool! :D

-Aaron

Last edited:

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've searched all over Google in vain for the answer to this question so I thought I would come here and ask the experts. What is the proper size for a Nexus 10 wallpaper? I'm guessing 2560 x 2560 (to account for the user rotating the device) but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks!

~Ryan
So glad that you are looking into scaling your wallpaper for the Nexus 10. I don't have one yet, but I'm looking to get one for christmas. I'm a lifetime member on your site and am always getting compliments on your wallpaper. Since you didn't promote website, I'll do it for you. Please visit Digital Blasphemy for wonderful wallpaper.

jpits45

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there a trick to installing the wallpaper? I have a 2560x1600 image, but when I go to save it as a wallpaper the built in tool can't be stretched to fit the image. The only way I can get it to work is by using a PhoTile Tile app.

Last edited:

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a trick to installing the wallpaper? I have a 2560x1600 image, but when I go to save it as a wallpaper the built in tool can't be stretched to fit the image. The only way I can get it to work is by using a PhoTile Tile app.

ah yes, the old wallpaper sizing bug from android 1.0, alive and kicking in android 4.2...

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As far as resolution goes, go with whatever you feel is best. IMO, 72 ppi is too low (background seems a little blurry), and 300 ppi is probably too high and creates an unnecessarily large file size. 300 ppi is usually reserved for printing, not computer displays. I would recommend you find something in between that works for you.

For a screen the resolution doesn't matter, only the width and height in pixels.

Try making 2 files in photoshop; File > New, select the 640x480 preset to start with, and set the pixel dimensions to 300 for both the width and height. Set the resolution to 72 ppi for one file and 300 ppi for the other file. Flatten, etc. and save each, as jpg or whatever. Note that the file sizes are the same. Next create another file 600 pixels width and height, and the resolution at 150; fill it with a different color than the other 2 files. Take the 72 ppi file and do a Select > All, Edit > Copy, select the 600 pixel file and Edit > Paste. Use the photoshop move tool and move the pasted square to the upper left corner. Then do the same thing with the 300 ppi file but move it to the bottom right corner. As you will see, they are both the same size, in pixels.

For printing the ppi does matter. But don't ask me how or why because all my work has always been with screen images, where the ppi doesn't matter.

Last edited:

dblasphemy

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have plenty of 2560 x 1600 images available on my site. I guess I am concerned about what happens with the user rotates the tablet to portrait orientation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463