Should I get this tablet? Hoping for some help from the community

jep_googler

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
if you're looking for a tablet to replace your laptop then an android tablet probably isn't going to help with you also being a student and also talking about it replacing your laptop, at this point I would say go for the surface tablet because it's basically a laptop in it's own right and also comes with a keyboard that's part of the cover, that full office suite should help as a student as well

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
if you're looking for a tablet to replace your laptop then an android tablet probably isn't going to help with you also being a student and also talking about it replacing your laptop, at this point I would say go for the surface tablet because it's basically a laptop in it's own right and also comes with a keyboard that's part of the cover, that full office suite should help as a student as well

The only thing I would disagree with about your statement on whether or not a tablet could replace his laptop is that it depends on what he plans to do with it. If he's just looking for something to keep notes in class, or look up info, maybe do some editing of a paper, etc, an Android tablet will work great. Especially with a $15 investment to pickup QuickOffice Pro or OfficeSuite Pro. Both are fairly full-featured word-processing applications, and there's trial versions of both (and several others, for that matter) so he can try them out before he makes a decision.

Something to note, in terms of a keyboard/mouse: if you *do* pick up a tablet with a full-size usb, or grab a USB OTG cable, I can plug the USB receiver from my wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo into my ICS-based tablet and both work flawlessly. On-screen mouse cursor and all. Not the most compact option, but something to consider in terms of the power Android being able to use accessories. Google put in a lot of work on the USB host mode starting back in Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) and it has come even further since. You're not limited to just bluetooth anymore. You could even have a small BT Keyboard you carry around for notes, and just use the USB option while you're sitting at your desk at home doing more extensive writing. Just something to think about.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My Transformer Prime has been pretty great for use in class with the keyboard dock. Can definitely keep up with note-taking, and there are plenty of apps that work well for that purpose. It isn't far from being stock Android, either. Asus does some minimal additions, but those are mostly for power management and whatnot. They're really good with sending out updates, too. Customer service isn't great though, so that might be something to consider up front if you're used to AppleCare.

Saw a video of the Apple Magic Trackpad being used with the Nexus 7 and that looks like it works pretty well for gestures and whatnot if you were to go the non-keyboard dock route.

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought OfficeSuite Pro when it went on sale in the Play Store, and all I need is something to take notes on. My laptop is still my computer that I use to play games through Steam, work on Powerpoint slides, and just school stuff when I'm at home. The tablet would just be for in class taking notes and when I'm at library and I don't feel like carrying my huge laptop around.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought OfficeSuite Pro when it went on sale in the Play Store, and all I need is something to take notes on. My laptop is still my computer that I use to play games through Steam, work on Powerpoint slides, and just school stuff when I'm at home. The tablet would just be for in class taking notes and when I'm at library and I don't feel like carrying my huge laptop around.

Honestly, if you have a word-editing program that you like and you're only going to be taking notes/web-browsing/light research, pretty much anything will do. Your primary concerns are the keyboard, battery life, and whether or not Android has the apps you want. Unless you're in a field of study where you'd need to spend a considerable amount of time drawing diagrams or equations, you really don't need the S-Pen or anything like that. If you want something that records hand-written notes, you can always sideload APK's (like the ASUS Supernote).

I'm an undergrad working on a research paper, and I'm actually using my Nexus 7 just fine, with a keyboard case. My hands are small enough that working on a miniature keyboard doesn't bother me (I've gotten the hang of it, but I wouldn't recommend it for fast-paced lectures), and I really like the size because I literally have it with me at all times anyway. I just head to the library with my N7 and a portable book stand, and I'm set. Freshman year before tablets became mainstream, I had my old clunky 17" laptop with a weak battery life and an enormous charger. I can only imagine what you used for freshman undergrad :D.

If you absolutely need the full functionality of MS Office, the Surface RT (which comes pre-loaded with it) is a worthwhile investment. But then again, you don't have the Play store's app market. If apps like Kingsoft/OfficeSuite/Evernote/Supernote/etc are totally fine for your needs, you could get something as cheap as the Tab 2 10.1" ($350 16GB w/microSD, for which you can buy this neat Logitech keyboard case). Another question is whether or not you'd need a statistical package--I haven't found any worthwhile apps for Android, and I doubt the Windows app market would have anything better; in that case you could look into tablets with a full x86 OS like Windows 7/8 (alternatively, root/install Ubuntu).

The other question is the keyboard. Would you be fine toting around a separate bluetooth keyboard, or would you want an eloquent keyboard/case combo? Since then N10 hasn't even been released, there won't be many options readily available. Keep in mind that with slim touch keyboards (like the advertised Surface one) you'd sacrifice considerable typing efficiency.

My word of advice is, you might end up using your tablet wayy more often than you expected, and for far more purposes than you intended. I got my N7 just for kicks as my first tablet. I meant to use it just for occasional, light note-taking--in case I didn't need to lug around my laptop--and media consumption (e-reading, Netlfix, etc). With a plethora of productivity apps, it's helped me stay organized; with a $10 navigation app, I now retired my old GPS; due to its portability, I replaced my iPod; I use it to download/read research articles; etc. So you might as well get the best device you can, if you plan on using it a long time. Good luck!

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if you have a word-editing program that you like and you're only going to be taking notes/web-browsing/light research, pretty much anything will do. Your primary concerns are the keyboard, battery life, and whether or not Android has the apps you want. Unless you're in a field of study where you'd need to spend a considerable amount of time drawing diagrams or equations, you really don't need the S-Pen or anything like that. If you want something that records hand-written notes, you can always sideload APK's (like the ASUS Supernote).

I'm an undergrad working on a research paper, and I'm actually using my Nexus 7 just fine, with a keyboard case. My hands are small enough that working on a miniature keyboard doesn't bother me (I've gotten the hang of it, but I wouldn't recommend it for fast-paced lectures), and I really like the size because I literally have it with me at all times anyway. I just head to the library with my N7 and a portable book stand, and I'm set. Freshman year before tablets became mainstream, I had my old clunky 17" laptop with a weak battery life and an enormous charger. I can only imagine what you used for freshman undergrad :D.

If you absolutely need the full functionality of MS Office, the Surface RT (which comes pre-loaded with it) is a worthwhile investment. But then again, you don't have the Play store's app market. If apps like Kingsoft/OfficeSuite/Evernote/Supernote/etc are totally fine for your needs, you could get something as cheap as the Tab 2 10.1" ($350 16GB w/microSD, for which you can buy this neat Logitech keyboard case). Another question is whether or not you'd need a statistical package--I haven't found any worthwhile apps for Android, and I doubt the Windows app market would have anything better; in that case you could look into tablets with a full x86 OS like Windows 7/8 (alternatively, root/install Ubuntu).

The other question is the keyboard. Would you be fine toting around a separate bluetooth keyboard, or would you want an eloquent keyboard/case combo? Since then N10 hasn't even been released, there won't be many options readily available. Keep in mind that with slim touch keyboards (like the advertised Surface one) you'd sacrifice considerable typing efficiency.

My word of advice is, you might end up using your tablet wayy more often than you expected, and for far more purposes than you intended. I got my N7 just for kicks as my first tablet. I meant to use it just for occasional, light note-taking--in case I didn't need to lug around my laptop--and media consumption (e-reading, Netlfix, etc). With a plethora of productivity apps, it's helped me stay organized; with a $10 navigation app, I now retired my old GPS; due to its portability, I replaced my iPod; I use it to download/read research articles; etc. So you might as well get the best device you can, if you plan on using it a long time. Good luck!

Freshman undergrad until now I have been using pen&paper combo or every once in a while if I needed to work on a paper when I had down time between classes I brought my clunker of a HP laptop.....or was it Dell? Who knows. What kind of keyboard case do you use? If you don't mind me asking. Both of those keyboard links you posted are really nice. I definitely wouldn't mind the cheaper of the two but either one could suffice. That Logitech keyboard is pretty sexy though. I would love a setup similar to the Transformer, a faux-laptop configuration. But you are right, I have to wait and see what comes out in the coming months after the launch of the N10. I might end up getting that Logitech one in the end.

I am also thinking about what will happen once I get my first tablet, will I just use it only for note taking/working on papers in the library, and just light media consumption? Or will it turn out similar to the way you use your N7 now. I definitely want a product that will last me at least 2 years and maybe even more.

I'm just way too excited and I am waiting for next week to already be here!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What kind of keyboard case do you use? If you don't mind me asking. Both of those keyboard links you posted are really nice. . I would love a setup similar to the Transformer, a faux-laptop configuration. But you are right, I have to wait and see what comes out in the coming months after the launch of the N10. I might end up getting that Logitech one in the end!

It's a generic 7" keyboard case, $8 on amazon. Cheap as hell but ghetto, since it doesn't hold the device well. I just removed the prongs and superglued a TPU case on (pic, review here) and it works fine. Keyboard is 8"x3"--tiny but manageable. You could do the same thing with the larger equivalent (here) but keep in mind it is bulky. I only have my tablet in there when I want to take notes.

Just a head's up, From now until Friday (unless it sells out), Groupon has the (refurb) ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 for $270 with the dock: here, Pretty great deal, considering the keyboard alone is $100. Obviously the technology is older and it's heavier/thicker than any new tab you'd be interested in--but it's cost-effective. I'm debating whether or not I want it--so cheap! Though, I hear Groupon is shady. I suppose if I don't like it, it'd just be an extremely generous gift to my much-younger sibling :p.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Freshman undergrad until now I have been using pen&paper combo or every once in a while if I needed to work on a paper when I had down time between classes I brought my clunker of a HP laptop.....or was it Dell? Who knows. What kind of keyboard case do you use? If you don't mind me asking. Both of those keyboard links you posted are really nice. I definitely wouldn't mind the cheaper of the two but either one could suffice. That Logitech keyboard is pretty sexy though. I would love a setup similar to the Transformer, a faux-laptop configuration. But you are right, I have to wait and see what comes out in the coming months after the launch of the N10. I might end up getting that Logitech one in the end.

I am also thinking about what will happen once I get my first tablet, will I just use it only for note taking/working on papers in the library, and just light media consumption? Or will it turn out similar to the way you use your N7 now. I definitely want a product that will last me at least 2 years and maybe even more.

I'm just way too excited and I am waiting for next week to already be here!

You would not regret any Asus Transformer tablet. But the style of the TF101 is nothing compared to the Prime or Tf300 and 700. I have the 101 and 201 and the 201 is what you want. My only complaint is the way the selection works in the browser. It needs to be more like the ipad in how the drop downs work. I've heard the N7 doesn't have this problem. Not sure about the 300 or 700.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You would not regret any Asus Transformer tablet. But the style of the TF101 is nothing compared to the Prime or Tf300 and 700. I have the 101 and 201 and the 201 is what you want.

I'm pretty tempted to jump on the $270 TF101 deal. The technology's old and it does seem a little thick (thicker than my 3-year-old laptop), but I've read that it's sturdily built. My biggest concern is the screen resolution--is 1280x800 on a 10" device noticeably blurry/un-crisp to you? As far as specs go, I doubt I'd notice the difference between Tegra 2 vs. Tegra 3.

I wonder if this is a major part of the answer to note-taking needs on a 10-inch Android tablet: Exclusive: Microsoft Office for iPhone, iPad, and Android revealed | The Verge.

Look like you can only view docs, and in order to get some basic editing functionality you'd need to get a 365 subscription. I dunno, I'm just skeptical because their OneNote app sucks lol. I can't blame them though, since Office software is really the only thing Windows has that other OS's blatantly lack. It's their main selling point. with Surface RT.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty tempted to jump on the $270 TF101 deal. The technology's old and it does seem a little thick (thicker than my 3-year-old laptop), but I've read that it's sturdily built. My biggest concern is the screen resolution--is 1280x800 on a 10" device noticeably blurry/un-crisp to you? As far as specs go, I doubt I'd notice the difference between Tegra 2 and 3

The screen is actually pretty nice. The TF201 is still better but I don't think you would be upset about the quality. The size is very small and the keyboard is really nice. The sides of the tablet have a bit of an edge which can dig into your hands a bit when you are just holding the tablet.

The big plus is the features on the keyboard itself. The extra battery is amazing, sd card, usb support and htmi out are super handy. I plug it into hotel tvs and watch movies. Transfer photos from my camera when I'm on vacation and use a mouse when I want a desktop experience.

The only thing you may want to think about is that it doesn't look like you will be getting any more updates. ICS runs smoothly on it but jelly bean would be nice. The hardware is certainly capable of handling it.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Now I reaally want a transformer lol, I keep hearing great things about it. Unfortunately, the Groupon deal just ran out for the tab/keyboard combo, but I found a few people on craigslist who claim they bought it new a few months back, so I'll see if the manufacturer's warranty is still valid (that's really all I care about lol). This comes at perfect timing, since Evernote keeps crashing/not saving my notes, which is driving me crazy.

Does anything pre-JB come preloaded with flash, or would I sideload it like I did on my N7?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Now I reaally want a transformer lol, I keep hearing great things about it. Unfortunately, the Groupon deal just ran out for the tab/keyboard combo, but I found a few people on craigslist who claim they bought it new a few months back, so I'll see if the manufacturer's warranty is still valid (that's really all I care about lol). This comes at perfect timing, since Evernote keeps crashing/not saving my notes, which is driving me crazy.

Does anything pre-JB come preloaded with flash, or would I sideload it like I did on my N7?

I side loaded Flash on mine and it works fine.

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I have a TF101, as mentioned the corners do tend to dig into your hand when not resting it on your lap and holding it for a long period of time. The plastic on the back is fairly slippery, so you have to grip it really hard to hold with one hand, which will tire your hand out rather quickly.

Otherwise, it's been a terrific device to carry around and take with me on business trips, and personal vacation alike. it comes with Polaris Office, which is great for note taking (at least I think so), and I never got the keyboard dock, I've gotten by with just the on screen keyboard.

To your comment about MS Office, I'm not excited about the capability, or the subscription based system that's been rumored. I'll probably spring for another option (probably polaris office if I can't find something better) for a productivity app.

Bolshoie

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Im actually thinking of selling my Galaxy Note 10.1 once the N10 arrives here in the Philippines, was so excited before on buying my first tablet and since I was a fan of the Galaxy Note Phone (N7000) I didnt really listened to bad reviews about the tablet, overpriced as it is I bought it and was happy with it at first...but as usual,Im not a student or my job does not require me to draw boobies so the S-pen functionality really was not that useful to me. I like looking at HD graphics/movies and I theme a lot but the 1280x800 resolution isnt cutting it for me.Samsung bloatware just takes up space and Im not into rooting.The thing is laggy but Im hoping project butter will fix this...

So GOOGLE Why announce the Nexus10 just months after I bought a Note 10.1?!?!?!?!

TL:DR :
Galaxy Note 10.1 is Quad-core while the N10 is dual only but the N10 has better resolution
The 10.1 has expandable memory but Apps2sd doesnt work (samsung infrastructure)

So should I switch to the N10 even if its just dual core, I really wanted to have a pure google experience as well

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Im actually thinking of selling my Galaxy Note 10.1 once the N10 arrives here in the Philippines, was so excited before on buying my first tablet and since I was a fan of the Galaxy Note Phone (N7000) I didnt really listened to bad reviews about the tablet, overpriced as it is I bought it and was happy with it at first...but as usual,Im not a student or my job does not require me to draw boobies so the S-pen functionality really was not that useful to me. I like looking at HD graphics/movies and I theme a lot but the 1280x800 resolution isnt cutting it for me.Samsung bloatware just takes up space and Im not into rooting.The thing is laggy but Im hoping project butter will fix this...

So GOOGLE Why announce the Nexus10 just months after I bought a Note 10.1?!?!?!?!

TL:DR :
Galaxy Note 10.1 is Quad-core while the N10 is dual only but the N10 has better resolution
The 10.1 has expandable memory but Apps2sd doesnt work (samsung infrastructure)

So should I switch to the N10 even if its just dual core, I really wanted to have a pure google experience as well

The dual core chip in the N10 is superior to the quad core chip in your Note tablet. It is based on the new A15 chip set which is much faster. So this is a plus and not a minus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae