Should I go for a Nexus 10 or a Microsoft Surface or a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
But the added functionality of using the yoga as a tablet computer might outweigh the software advantages of the N10.

Sent from my DROID4 using Android Central Forums

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of the toga because if its ability to be a powerful laptop as well as a powerful windows 8 tablet with a pretty good 1600x900 resolution display.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the ecosystem right now for Windows is crap. The apps are seriously lacking. In essence you cannot be that wrong with any of the three, I would just save the money and go my route

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That is a good point but since I'm still a student who uses Microsoft word a good amount as well as other Microsoft office products I'm inclined to go with the idea pad because of its ability to run full windows. Though the apps are still lacking a lot, they probably will get better in the coming months. I do need a laptop replacement that will last me 3 to 5 years so I'm still a little cautious to go with an Android tablet (albeit a fantastic one) over a convertible laptop with a core i7 processor and 8 gigs of RAM.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That is a good point but since I'm still a student

Personally, I wouldn't rely on just an android tablet (any tablet) as my only "computer."

But at the same time, if I were still a student, I wouldn't spend $1000 on a computer either.

-Suntan

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
to me, the surface is just another windows device. i got bored of using windows 8 on my laptop and using the same in tab is like boring.

I need change. also surface wont have customization. they are pretty much same and cant be changed.
surface wont even get windows 9 or u will have to pay.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
to me, the surface is just another windows device. i got bored of using windows 8 on my laptop and using the same in tab is like boring.

I need change. also surface wont have customization. they are pretty much same and cant be changed.
surface wont even get windows 9 or u will have to pay.

Frankly, I find it hard to be bored of Windows 8 because it is a new OS. There is a learning curve to all new software that is a major overhaul. Getting bored is just a sign of someone that does not care (i.e., Apple fanboys or Linux fanboys etc.) or someone that doesn't use the OS enough.

For one, the Surface tablets are Windows RT, Which runs apps like the Windows Phone OS, but looks like Windows 8 Pro. Yes, the app marketplace is rather light right now, but a lot of developers won't make apps for a fledgeling OS until they have enough marketshare to warrant jumping on the bandwagon.

I also have been running Windows 8 on my laptop since the beta was released, not the customer release preview, but the unfinished beta. You think apps are scarce now?

If Word and Excel are needed, Surface has them, just in a lesser functioning manner. There are some things Office RT just can't do. That is okay, though, as the apps are only meant for minor editing or creation functionality. These are not full Office apps, no one should mistake them for such.

When the Windows Pro tablets are released in a few months, then there will be a lot to be interested in, as they will run a full version of Windows 8 and will run any application made for Windows 8, within reason. They will also run a full version of Office 2013.

As for upgrades, Windows 9 may not be released for another 2 years minimum, unless Microsoft decides on a yearly OS upgrade schedule. That has yet to be heard. Besides, I see Microsoft updating the Surface for free at least through one OS upgrade, but then they will want to sell new hardware. The Windows Pro will probably need to purchase an upgrade due to license upgrading. Windows Phone devices have had free updates since inception. The Windows Phone 7 devices will not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 due to hardware requirements and changes in the OS coding software. So they do show a history of upgrading their mobile devices for free.

The yoga looks nice due to its hybrid function that allows it to go from laptop to tablet, but make sure you look at how the hinges are made. If you can physically handle one of the devices, it would be easy to tell if the hinges will last considering they will be used a lot. Laptops are somewhat stiff when opening them when new, but loosen up some over time. I have seen some year old laptops that can be rather loose due to cheap plastic on the hinges or the interior brackets loosen.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
N10, almost none of the third party software available for windows 7 isn't available for windows 8 get because the core of windows has changed so much. Frankly I think its an abomination and still prefer windows xp over any of them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I find it hard to be bored of Windows 8 because it is a new OS. There is a learning curve to all new software that is a major overhaul. Getting bored is just a sign of someone that does not care (i.e., Apple fanboys or Linux fanboys etc.) or someone that doesn't use the OS enough.

For one, the Surface tablets are Windows RT, Which runs apps like the Windows Phone OS, but looks like Windows 8 Pro. Yes, the app marketplace is rather light right now, but a lot of developers won't make apps for a fledgeling OS until they have enough marketshare to warrant jumping on the bandwagon.

I also have been running Windows 8 on my laptop since the beta was released, not the customer release preview, but the unfinished beta. You think apps are scarce now?

If Word and Excel are needed, Surface has them, just in a lesser functioning manner. There are some things Office RT just can't do. That is okay, though, as the apps are only meant for minor editing or creation functionality. These are not full Office apps, no one should mistake them for such.

When the Windows Pro tablets are released in a few months, then there will be a lot to be interested in, as they will run a full version of Windows 8 and will run any application made for Windows 8, within reason. They will also run a full version of Office 2013.

As for upgrades, Windows 9 may not be released for another 2 years minimum, unless Microsoft decides on a yearly OS upgrade schedule. That has yet to be heard. Besides, I see Microsoft updating the Surface for free at least through one OS upgrade, but then they will want to sell new hardware. The Windows Pro will probably need to purchase an upgrade due to license upgrading. Windows Phone devices have had free updates since inception. The Windows Phone 7 devices will not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 due to hardware requirements and changes in the OS coding software. So they do show a history of upgrading their mobile devices for free.

The yoga looks nice due to its hybrid function that allows it to go from laptop to tablet, but make sure you look at how the hinges are made. If you can physically handle one of the devices, it would be easy to tell if the hinges will last considering they will be used a lot. Laptops are somewhat stiff when opening them when new, but loosen up some over time. I have seen some year old laptops that can be rather loose due to cheap plastic on the hinges or the interior brackets loosen.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

It might be a new OS but i have been using windows 8 for about a year now. Office 2013/Windows and all the new software because i have a MSDN subscription.
I loved 7 but 8 is just boring to me because of the metro!!!

and btw there wont be windows 9 for at least 3 years. thats MS refresh policy.

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered my Yoga 13 and Note 2 I'm pretty excited about both of the devices!

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Most, if not all, windows 7 software will run on windows 8. Note that I'm referring to the non-RT version of windows 8. I'd avoid winRT at this point.

There are plenty of full windows 8 tablets and other touch capable devices coming out - look at what ASUS is showing off on their site, for instance. Their transformer book device looks neat.

For college, a non-rt windows 8 device would be a good choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Depends. What do you want to do with it?

If you'll be using MS Office at a desk a lot, go with Surface plus the keyboard (the one that has pressable keys). If you'll be using MS Office (and/or other windows applications) in your lap (e.g. on a bus, a becnh, a plane/train, etc) then get the Lenovo (as the surface doesn't work quite as well in a lap). If you'll be looking to use a lot of cool apps, watch movies, listen to music (basically only consumption), get a Nexus 10.

G3TCASHM0N3Y

May 17, 2012
Visit site
People seem to forget that Office will be released for Android within the next few months. If you are willing to make do with replacement apps in the meantime, Nexus 10 is a viable productivity tablet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
People seem to forget that Office will be released for Android within the next few months. If you are willing to make do with replacement apps in the meantime, Nexus 10 is a viable productivity tablet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
Thanks for pointing this out. I had no idea that Office was coming. I've been all over waiting for the version of the Surface with full Windows 8. I'm a mobile user, and I think it would be nice to have a surface for the times I'm working in tight spaces and not typing in an Office program. My biggest hangup with getting a tablet has been the fact that even the good apps for Android, like OfficeSuite, are incompatible with my required settings/formats inside Microsoft Word. It makes a tablet nothing more than a large phone for me.

Now, a Nexus 10 that can run full blown Office retaining my settings, docked to a keyboard, well, now we're talking. That doesn't allow me to completely abandon a laptop, but it solves 90% of the majority of my computing needs. It's certainly a tempting proposition.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Haha im sure myself and the majority of the people here, in this forum, will tell you to go for the N10. Haha remember youre posting this in Android Central.

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the IdeaPad Yoga primarily because I like the thought of having a computer that is maneuverable as well as a powerful i7 8gb RAM windows 8 tablet in one form factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith