Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Why isn't there a 3G version of the N10?

Quote Originally Posted by teffects View Post
    Are people with iPads more likely to be the sort to travel, and especially abroad? For anybody who travels abroad, especially to East and South Asia as I do, not having mobile connectivity on the tablet severely undermines their utility during travel.
    Android user here. Been round and round this globe. Take a "global" roaming phone with me and get one of the company SIM cards for the areas I am headed to. I'd say 6 times out of 10 I can actually get a local provider to hook up when I get in country. That said, 9 times out of 10 I can catch an open wifi signal. Even when traveling to remote parts of Eastern Europe and the sort.

I have no need for anything more than wifi on my tablets, and they get thousands of miles put on them yearly.

-Suntan
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Android user here. Been round and round this globe. Take a "global" roaming phone with me and get one of the company SIM cards for the areas I am headed to. I'd say 6 times out of 10 I can actually get a local provider to hook up when I get in country. That said, 9 times out of 10 I can catch an open wifi signal. Even when traveling to remote parts of Eastern Europe and the sort.
    -Suntan
    Global phone with local SIM-card is the only way I am able to communicate in an affordable way when I'm abroad. So thats not an issue.

I would like to be able to use local provider's data plan on the N10 also. I don't get free open wifi that easily when I travel. People with iPads around me do fine now and would do so every time, whereas I, if I buy the wifi-only N10, would stand out as the loser Android loyalist.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Do you really need 3G in a tablet? I'm of two minds.

• I can have a single "everywhere" communications device, my unlocked phone with tethering or hotspot capabilities, and let the tablets connect through that. My phone is always with me, other devices are optional.
    • If my tablet can effectively be my "phone" (using Google Voice, SIP, or 3G direct), then I can leave my "phone" behind if I'm traveling with my tablet. Then my "phone" is a capability that any device I choose to carry provides, rather than a specific hardware device. This appeals to me, but haven't tried it.

In the first case, I don't need a 3G SIM slot in my phone, and my 7" tablet, and my 10" tablet, etc. But in the second case, I could either have several SIMs and prepaid accounts, or a single SIM that I swap out easily from one device to another depending upon what I want to carry.

I can't decide until I try all the options. Perhaps someone who does Use Case #2 can tell me what that's like, how well it works, etc.
    First off I mean no disrespect at all and enjoy the discussion. That said where is it written that someone else gets to determine what I need in a tablet? There are plenty of reasons why tethering and hotspot are not viable options for me. Chief among them being that with current LTE phones you need to be chained to a power outlet which doesn't work and in my mind defeats the purpose. Now I understand that for many, even most, people wifi is probably fine and they don't want a 3G/4G tablet because they don't want the cost of another data plan. That's fine and I don't propose telling them how they have to use their tablets and that they have to buy a 3G/4G version. This happens to be a function I need, it is technologically possible, but manufacturers of Android tablets seem fine to let Apple have that market and that is frustrating to me...

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I would say cost is one factor for not adding cellular capabilities in the Nexus 10, that and dealing with carriers in general (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc) in the US is a PITA to say the least. Compromises, updates, bloatware. Forget about it Google realizes you can clearly tether to your phone, access WiFi Hot Spots or get a MiFi to carry with you. All of those are reasonable options.

Get an external power supply e. g. Anker Astro3 or ZaggSparq -- no more chained to outlet. Works wonders for me daily.

I'm still interested in hearing others' real world experiences.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

I would like to be able to use local provider's data plan on the N10 also. I don't get free open wifi that easily when I travel. People with iPads around me do fine now and would do so every time, whereas I, if I buy the wifi-only N10, would stand out as the loser Android loyalist.
    To each their own. I was just commenting that in my experience (whether it is a technically advanced market region or a back woods rural region) it is much easier getting a wifi connection than it is getting a local celular connection. YMMV, but that's what I've encountered.

In any case, it is what it is. If you want built in celular, get something else. Not saying it's right, just saying it is. If you want your friends to think you're cool, it sounds like you should buy an ipad like they did.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

If you want built in celular, get something else. Not saying it's right, just saying it is. If you want your friends to think you're cool, it sounds like you should buy an ipad like they did.
    Right. Precisely. You got it. Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Floorman63 View Post
    I have a nexus7 and and when I want to tether it to my phone the only way I can do this is with the phone
    on the charger plugged in.
    I had a Transformer Prime and with the keyboard dock on, it was able to charge the phone during tethering. Weird, huh? Got me through a few hairy meetings, and worked great. Not sure yet whether the N10 will be able to do that with OTG or not, and of course it will have half the battery life.

Right. Precisely. You got it. Genius.
    I smile when people get frustrated with reality...

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by moregadgets View Post
    Now I understand that for many, even most, people wifi is probably fine and they don't want a 3G/4G tablet because they don't want the cost of another data plan. That's fine and I don't propose telling them how they have to use their tablets and that they have to buy a 3G/4G version. This happens to be a function I need, it is technologically possible, but manufacturers of Android tablets seem fine to let Apple have that market and that is frustrating to me...
    Apple sells lots and lots and lots of iPads. Way more than Android. Selling an iPad is much more of a sure thing than selling yet another Android tablet, especially since the larger Android tablets. You might want a specific function, but that hardly matters to the companies when their biggest concern is likely whether or not many people will be buying the WiFi version of the tablet. Companies aren't going to be spending lots of money until they can be reasonably sure that the product will sell. You don't have to like that, but that's the way it is right now.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

The Verge calls it review of the N7, "Google Nexus 7 with mobile data review. Or, why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again."

David appears to have read my earlier post on this subject. He says, "I stopped thinking about where I'd be able to find a Wi-Fi hotspot. I no longer needed to make sure I had downloaded the documents I needed before I went to a meeting to discuss them. It all felt a bit like the first time I had a smartphone, or the first computer I used with Wi-Fi; all this preparation I'm used to doing, and all the location-scouting to figure out where I can get connected and get to work, was just gone."
    Thanked by:

The Verge calls it review of the N7, "Google Nexus 7 with mobile data review. Or, why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again."

David appears to have read my earlier post on this subject. He says, "I stopped thinking about where I'd be able to find a Wi-Fi hotspot. I no longer needed to make sure I had downloaded the documents I needed before I went to a meeting to discuss them. It all felt a bit like the first time I had a smartphone, or the first computer I used with Wi-Fi; all this preparation I'm used to doing, and all the location-scouting to figure out where I can get connected and get to work, was just gone."
    I'm going to go out on a ledge and guess that your man writing the review wasn't sitting at a cafe in Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam when he was making those comments. You said you want easy data access when travelling abroad, don't be too disapointed when that fantasy doesn't meet up with expectations in a lot of regions of the world.

-Suntan

I'm going to go out on a ledge and guess that your man writing the review wasn't sitting at a cafe in Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam when he was making those comments. You said you want easy data access when travelling abroad, don't be too disapointed when that fantasy doesn't meet up with expectations in a lot of regions of the world.

-Suntan
    It's an unlocked device. So arguably you could just get a prepaid local carrier SIM at the airport and use that. Of course, you could, and probably would, do that with your phone, so barring any block-ware preventing tethering, a non-3G N7 could tether to the phone. But ... I suppose a busy traveler could get SIMs for phone and tablet. Really depends upon where and how much $ ....

(edit) Oh, duh. Like you already said earlier in the thread (top of this page). Sorry.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

I am in great need of a tablet. I'm a college graduate student researching and writing more papers than I can imagine and would love to have the portability option and access to google docs all the time. I also enjoy browsing websites like CNN and NFL but do not enjoy the iOS experience. I would like Google and Samsung to please come out with a 3G or 4G option for the Nexus 10 soon so I can get this taken care of. If not, they will lose another customer to Apple. Also looked at Asus Transformer Infinity but am not in love with their build quality. If anybody hears anything about a release, please let me know ASAP.

Cause the Nexus 10 is so fast and powerfull that you will go through data like you wouldn't freaken believe. Just hit 20gb of data today and haven't even been 30 days yet
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12