Is This Possible?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of tablets running a full OS, like the Samsung Series 7 or the Surface Pro--but they're upwards of $1,000, and the N10 is $400. the only reason that appeals to me is because I'd like to run actual programs on it, which obviously Android can't. I know nothing about operating systems, but I was wondering if you could advise me on the following:

My question is, if I root it and install Ubuntu, could I run something like MS Office without too much lag? It'd also be great to have Photoshop, via Wine, but "Dual-core A15" and "Mali T604" are totally incomprehensible to me. Would it just be a slow, laggy hot mess, or could I successfully use it without giving up in frustration?

I already use and love my Nexus 7 with Android 4.1, but it'd be pointless to have essentially the same device with a larger screen. With Ubuntu, the N10 could serve a different purpose which would make the $400 well worth it. My laptop is aging, and although it's thin/light, it's not as thin/light as the N10, and my charger is a total deadweight--fine for use at home, but I like mobility. I'm sure switching to Ubuntu on such a beautiful device seems like a waste, but if it could allow the N10 to run programs without lag, I'm all in. Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated :).

(the one drawback is the 16GB/32GB without expandable memory--might lean towards the Tab 2, but if its specs are considerably worse for $50 less, I'd just get the N10).

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea if what you are asking would work, but your theory is sound and I would really like to know how that would pan out. If you don't find an answer here you may stop over XDA and see if someone over there can help. I think your on to something though. Good luck and keep us posted!

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of tablets running a full OS, like the Samsung Series 7 or the Surface Pro--but they're upwards of $1,000, and the N10 is $400. the only reason that appeals to me is because I'd like to run actual programs on it, which obviously Android can't. I know nothing about operating systems, but I was wondering if you could advise me on the following:

My question is, if I root it and install Ubuntu, could I run something like MS Office without too much lag? It'd also be great to have Photoshop, via Wine, but "Dual-core A15" and "Mali T604" are totally incomprehensible to me. Would it just be a slow, laggy hot mess, or could I successfully use it without giving up in frustration?

I already use and love my Nexus 7 with Android 4.1, but it'd be pointless to have essentially the same device with a larger screen. With Ubuntu, the N10 could serve a different purpose which would make the $400 well worth it. My laptop is aging, and although it's thin/light, it's not as thin/light as the N10, and my charger is a total deadweight--fine for use at home, but I like mobility. I'm sure switching to Ubuntu on such a beautiful device seems like a waste, but if it could allow the N10 to run programs without lag, I'm all in. Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated :).

(the one drawback is the 16GB/32GB without expandable memory--might lean towards the Tab 2, but if its specs are considerably worse for $50 less, I'd just get the N10).
ARM != x86 or x64

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It sounds kind of like putting Katana on the handle of sledgehammer. Yes you can use the combo tool but not as effectively as if you used them separately.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It sounds kind of like putting Katana on the handle of sledgehammer. Yes you can use the combo tool but not as effectively as if you used them separately.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can. The Ubuntu that is being compiled now is being adjusted to work on ARM architecture. Any apps and programs would have to be recompiled as well. This could happen for Ubuntu applications but that's a looooong way off, if it happens.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My question is why not just get a cheap laptop, or maybe even the Chromebook instead.

The Nexas 10 is using the new Samsung CPU, so until allot of work is done to the ubuntu arm distro it probably won't even work.
Several desktop apps have counterparts in the play store so you can do most productivity tasks.
Most of the benifit of a touch interface would be lost with a desktop OS, with the only exception I can come up with is if there was a digitizer like on the NOTE series of tablets.

Memory can be expanded with usb storage via OTG USB adapters.

Another option could be a Asus Transformer tablet with a keyboard dock.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Another quick option would be to just put Splashtop HD on the tablet. That will allow you to connect to your desktop and you can then work from your desktop on your tablet. It isn't quite the same as what you were thinking but may be the best of both worlds. A tablet that keeps all it's functionality, and then the ability to run whatever desktop apps you want. You just need to have a desktop to connect to. But my guess is that if it cam down to it that could even be a headless system .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lenovo Thinkpad Twist with touchscreen and Windows 8 is on sale at Staples for $799. 4GB RAM, Core i5, 500GB HD.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
ARM != x86 or x64

Desktop does not mean it needs to run x86 or x64, prime example Mac run on PowerPC before they switched to x86, but PowerPC is still used in consoles and IBM servers :p as apecially as we talk about Linux system here which runs on many architectures.

Lot of desktop application works on ARM and in most cases as long as they don't use lower level functions of hardware all they need to be done is being recompiled (thats what langueges like C/C++ was made for). Bigger problem is closed source software, like Flash and as Linux desktop on x86 is not so popular so ARM even more.

Gentoo distribution got nice archotecture avability info in there package list:

Gentoo Packages

Thru even if something is not listed available in specific architecture there, it might be because no body want to maintain package for that architecture, so it's not like compliantly lost chance to work on ARM.

In case of Wine, even if there would people ready to make it work on ARM... it's impoosible, because Wine is not x86 emulator and won't run windows x86 application. Wine is Windows API for Linux with feature allowing ready exe file execution, something like Cygwin for Windows, but Cygwin won't run Linux bineries, you need to recompile application... in matter of fact its not even Linux, just unix-like entrainment for Windows

Besides Ubuntu guys already playing with ARM and they already run Linux software on on top of Linux kernel that powers Android :p

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
As said above, if you already have a good computer, Splashtop 2 is a great way to stream from your computer. It's probably going to be as close as you'll get unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 7

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point out that splash top works pretty good. I have been using it for a while and really like it. I have only seen it complained to me when certain programs take over the scree like media center.

Obviously if you don't have a desktop to piggy back on it can be a little interesting.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My question is why not just get a cheap laptop, or maybe even the Chromebook instead

I wanted the quick-access, hands-on feel of a tablet, that can run programs; chromebook is essentially a tablet without the elegance of tablet or the functionality of a laptop. I was basically interested in a ghetto Linux version of the Surface Pro, but I realize that's not possible. I know there are a plethora of productivity apps--I use most of them--but honestly none beat the full functionality of x86 programs. I still can't find a suitable statistical package for one thing, even though programs like Rcmdr are free. I just wanted something that could make me retire using the laptop outside the house--it's slim and 13", but a drag to carry around all day esp. with the deadweight charger.

I would get a desktop emulator as that does seem the best option, but I don't have a desktop. My laptop would die if I kept it running all the time lol. I guess I'll just suck it up and hope for more complex, functional apps.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking what kind of laptop do you have.

It might be cheaper to just get a ultra Book with a touchscreen. If your old laptop is so old you are wording about killing it, it may simply be time for an upgrade. And then the cost of the N10 plus what ever option you get to provide the desktop experience my equal each other.

You could always get a cheap desktop at a mom and pop shop. Around 200 or so. If you can find a way to set it up headless you can atleast save the cost of a monitor

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21