Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the Nexus 10 eventually replace the Chromebook?

I don't think Google want to clutter up their decent sized lineup of "Nexus" devices with Chromebooks and such. Isn't that why the Nexus Q was supposedly discontinued, because the phone and tablets made it essentially obsolete?

Default Re: Will the Nexus 10 eventually replace the Chromebook?

At the price tablets are selling for, I don't see why someone would prefer to pay $250 for a tablet sans Play store/touchscreen, with the clunky awkwardness of a laptop--when you could buy decent tablet for near the same price, and a keyboard for not much more.

But I'm sure it has a niche/following, likely among frugal students. The Chrome app store has some interesting things you can't otherwise find; not tomention, everything's free (you can't get Chrome store apps to work in a tablet chrome browser, right?). I guess if you just need to take notes and don't need much else, it's the way to go. But I'm the sort of person who likes to consolidate usage and eliminate redundancy--e.g. having a chromebook and a slim regular laptop.
    Thanked by:

Nexus Q was not discontinued. it was delayed for improvments.

chromebook is a netbook. Nexus 10 is a tablet. chromebook can become a full fledged desktop. but there are rumors that chromeOS will merge with Android.

like when you connect android to a dock it turns to chromeOS with Android integration

they both serve different purposes so no i dont believe the nexus 10 will REPLACE the chromebook but it may be more widely accepted

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Nexus Q was not discontinued. it was delayed for improvments.

chromebook is a netbook. Nexus 10 is a tablet. chromebook can become a full fledged desktop. but there are rumors that chromeOS will merge with Android.

like when you connect android to a dock it turns to chromeOS with Android integration
    Unless ChromeOS stops being cloud based, I can't see that. You're talking about hopping between two completely different OSes. The learning curve alone would be off putting for anyone.

via Tapatalk