I'm new here, wondering about the video playback capabilities of the Nexus 10

airrphoto

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, can the Nexus 10 play high-definition video smoothly at 1920x1080 resolution? This includes playback through the mini-hdmi port. My current Galaxy Tab 10.1 does poorly even at 720p when trans-coded to a MP4 file viva Handbrake.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried MX Player on your 10.1? As long as you are using a player with hardware decoding support 1080P should be fine on any Tegra 2 and greater.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You should be fine.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has the Tegra 2 processor, which does not support MP4 high profile in hardware accelerated playback and did not have the processing power to support it in software playback.

Most all of the newer chips (in fact most of the top end chips that were available right after the Tegra 2) have hardware support for high profile.

I can't say as I've tested 1080p on my GSIII or N7 (both newer chips, but not the one that will be in the N10) but they both play 720p high profile just fine. I tend to use the "Android high" preset in Handbrake myself. A setting that my TF101 (Tegra 2) could never play smoothly.

-Suntan

Sgolden5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, can the Nexus 10 play high-definition video smoothly at 1920x1080 resolution? This includes playback through the mini-hdmi port. My current Galaxy Tab 10.1 does poorly even at 720p when trans-coded to a MP4 file viva Handbrake.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

The supported resolution of google nexus 10 goes up to 1080p, though video playback and most apps never break out of 720p. For watching videos on the Android 4.2 based Tablet, 720p with 2000~2500kbps is just all right.

I used to rip Blu-ray and DVD movies to PC and WD TV Live players and learned video codecs and settings well. I find the file size and video quality is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.

For myself, I'm using an all-in-one app entitled pavtube bluray video converter ulitimate for conversions.