Please help a newbie

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Hope this doesn't wind anyone up too much.
My wife and I both have android phones (mine is a nexus s running jellybean)
So as I want to get a first ever tablet, I was looking at the nexus 7 or nexus 10.
Struggling a bit as to which, as I feel both have advantages.
Main point here though is I still am struggling to see whether I should get one of these as opposed to one of the Ipads (full or mini).
I really don't understand this point about apps being better on the ipad. I would prefer to get an android tablet to be consistent, and won't really play games much etc. but it would help if someone could put my mind at rest as some of the reviews suggest google are really struggling to get enough developer buy-in for the new 10". Don't want to buy a dead end product.
Any comments would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
buy a nexus 7. nexus 10 is not out yet and reviews are limited at the moment.
Nexus 7 has good reviews. also, it depends on how comfortable you are with 7inch screen.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
It really comes down to what you want to do with your device, how much control you want over your device, and how much you want to pay for that device. Solutions Etcetera made good points about screen real estate when using apps on an iPad. If the decision were mine, I would stick with the Android simply for maintaining the same operating system between all of my devices. The benefit in my eyes is that any apps that I've paid for on my phone can be moved onto the tablet without having to repurchase them through the iTunes app store (if the same product is available). Plus the extra savings I'd get from purchasing the Nexus tab is a no-brainer (to me at least), but I'm budget conscious. There's no iHate from me, it just seems that the Nexus tab is the smarter choice in this instance. If you or your wife had an iPhone, my answer would probably be different. Happy shopping!

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are using Android phones then stick to a Android tablet (ideally Nexus). I really think tablet apps are over rated, most of what tablets are used for is web browsing and the N10 is going to provide a better experience but less portability out of the house then the N7. We don't have special apps on the PC for sports, weather, TV, etc so why do we need this on a tablet if it provides a great web experience? Phone are different because phone specific websites are generally not as feature/graphical rich but this is not the case with a 10 inch tablet and Chrome. Apple fan boys will cling on the app support because it's the only thing left that they can. I'm not saying high quality specialized apps are not beneficial but they are WAY OVER RATED!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would stick with what you know in Android. Plus save some $. I haven't found any real issue with the tablet apps. But you might have a specific app that could be better on the ipad so look at what you are going to do with it first then compare the apps.

For which nexus to buy its all about portability and if you prefer the smaller size. I have a Transformer Prime and it is smooth and light in the 10inch. Other tablets can feel bulkier. But the N10 screen looks incredible in the super high rez, so don't forget to keep that in mind for future proofing.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So grateful for all the replies. Thanks very much. I guess I am just wondering what my star gazing apps, airplane apps etc will look like. Really want to use for an e-reader as well which is why I was tempted by the N7. But thought that web browsing and email etc would be better on a 10" which is why I was headed for the N10 or ipad. Thanks again for all the useful points.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It does depend on what you plan to do with your tablet. If, like you said, aren't into gaming and won't miss having all the latest game first then Android is generally great. I love my Nexus 7 and its apps and have plenty that are tablet optimized, some even specifically for the Nexus 7.

As for reading, the Nexus 7 will probably be more book-like and comfortable. Email checking will most likely be the same. Web-browsing will obviously be better on a larger tablet but I love my Nexus 7 for that too and, coming from a phone, it will be a big improvement.
I noticed that you mentioned stargazing/plane apps and was thinking that Augmented-reality apps will be better on the N10 with its rear camera. Anyway, keep us updated on your thoughts :)
Sent from my Nexus 7

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If you already are using an Android phone go with the N7 or N10. It's up to you which one works for you. Don't go to the Dark Side.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If you already are using an Android phone go with the N7 or N10. It's up to you which one works for you. Don't go to the Dark Side.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

The Dark Side - sounds scary - no, wife and I are both Android phone users, the kids both have ipods. I have no allegiance one way or the other. Just trying to get the best thing for everyone. It seems to me to be the choice of quality apps (playing the piano, I love the idea of garageband) on the ipad, against cheaper, more flexible and familiar android.
I just wish there was a way to predict how the future will be in terms of development etc. (maybe I should use the force)
I'm going to go to the local apple store with my wife soon to have a play there, but I'm not sure where / when I will be able to have a play with an N10 here in the UK (I've had a quick go with the N7 and really like it). At the moment it suggests it will be available from the play store from 13th Nov.
Thanks again for all the very helpful balanced views.
As a little green fella once said, "hard to see the future is"

Sent from my ancient slow PC

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The Dark Side - sounds scary - no, wife and I are both Android phone users, the kids both have ipods. I have no allegiance one way or the other. Just trying to get the best thing for everyone. It seems to me to be the choice of quality apps (playing the piano, I love the idea of garageband) on the ipad, against cheaper, more flexible and familiar android.
I just wish there was a way to predict how the future will be in terms of development etc. (maybe I should use the force)
I'm going to go to the local apple store with my wife soon to have a play there, but I'm not sure where / when I will be able to have a play with an N10 here in the UK (I've had a quick go with the N7 and really like it). At the moment it suggests it will be available from the play store from 13th Nov.

PC World and Curry's will both no doubt be displaying (and selling) it, so you can try it there. Actually, since they have iPads there too, you might be able to try out both side by side.

There are -instrument- apps (piano, guitar, etc) on Android that work fine on a tablet, but nothing that lets you compile them into a track or song like GarageBand.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I think you can see the future to some degree if you look at the pace of development by Google and Apple. Google has been updating their OS at double the pace of Apple. They are out innovating them in every way. Apple has had the head start, so Google is catching up to some degree. But the rate that Google is moving i would be willing to bet that their tablet apps and new innovations will be far ahead within a year. And also for much less money. There are still little things that need attention but the space is getting much smaller in almost every way.

But that being said, if you have a specific app (like garage band) that is only available on iPad and there isn't anything that compares on Android, then you need to determine how important this app is.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I can say as a long time Android user who has from time to time gone to iOS devices only to return back again (happily) to Android, it comes down to what you will use the tablet for. Media rich content, music, movies, streaming both are just fine. Apps "built for tablet" well iOS does have an advantage there but that is due in large part to Apples strict control on screen resolution and there is only one iPad mfg so they dictate what you get when you get it and they build in planned obsolesence as well.

Now I actually won an iPad through work back in July, and paid to upgrade it to a 64GB LTE (Verizon) model, only to have Apple yank the rug out and intro the iPad 4 just 3 months later. Sure the iPad 3 had been out for 6 months or so, but this is the complaint I hear from Apple fans about Android mfg's too many new devices rolling out. Well the incremental update from Apple is the same thing. The difference is will there be an iPad 5 in the spring as their normally is if so the iPad 4 users will not be happy.

So I am selling my iPad 3 64GB (Verizon) model just trying to decide if I should go eBay, Amazon.com Trade-in or some other route and then cancel my AppleCare+ on it. The updates to Android OS to Jelly Bean and what is coming next with KLP make the move back a firm one for me.

Your mileage will vary depending on what your ultimate needs are and daily uses will be. For me it is movies, games (of course) but more importantly its being mobile with web content, Cisco related apps for my job and email, office document editing and creating. The question I have is more do I get the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 either in 32GB.

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I can say as a long time Android user who has from time to time gone to iOS devices only to return back again (happily) to Android, it comes down to what you will use the tablet for. Media rich content, music, movies, streaming both are just fine. Apps "built for tablet" well iOS does have an advantage there but that is due in large part to Apples strict control on screen resolution and there is only one iPad mfg so they dictate what you get when you get it and they build in planned obsolesence as well.

Now I actually won an iPad through work back in July, and paid to upgrade it to a 64GB LTE (Verizon) model, only to have Apple yank the rug out and intro the iPad 4 just 3 months later. Sure the iPad 3 had been out for 6 months or so, but this is the complaint I hear from Apple fans about Android mfg's too many new devices rolling out. Well the incremental update from Apple is the same thing. The difference is will there be an iPad 5 in the spring as their normally is if so the iPad 4 users will not be happy.

So I am selling my iPad 3 64GB (Verizon) model just trying to decide if I should go eBay, Amazon.com Trade-in or some other route and then cancel my AppleCare+ on it. The updates to Android OS to Jelly Bean and what is coming next with KLP make the move back a firm one for me.

Your mileage will vary depending on what your ultimate needs are and daily uses will be. For me it is movies, games (of course) but more importantly its being mobile with web content, Cisco related apps for my job and email, office document editing and creating. The question I have is more do I get the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 either in 32GB.

So it sounds like you are not too concerned with the 'App' sizing issue. Encouraging.
I think I am looking for a tablet to do the following things, probably in the following order:
1. Web browsing - i.e to save going to the study to boot up the old pc
2. Reading - don't have an e-reader and was hoping to have something that would fulfil that without the need of a separate device
3. A few apps that I enjoy - love planes and astronomy and music related things (as I play the piano albeit very poorly)
4. Being able to store and share latest photos to show to family etc.
I think music is very mow priority - may watch a few films and probably won't play games - not really into that
Still need to decide on size - if its 7" then I am pretty sure it will be the N7
If its 10 (my current favourite option) then I need to choose between N10 and Ipad - I want the N10 to be really great and not to feel let down if I download an app and find it takes up a tiny little space at the centre of the screen.

Exciting times...

Thanks to all the posters above too. Apologies if I haven't 'thanked' properly - these forums are new to me so I am probably getting things wrong but all the input is very genuinely appreciated.

Steve

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you were a gamer I'd strongly suggest an iPad. No, I'm not an iFan nor Android enthusiast; just someone speaking from my own personal experience. My household consist of both iOS and Android and the same game played on an android device is slow and dull. Play it on iOS and it's clear, vibrant, fast and glitch free. If you want to prove it for yourself try Asphalt 7: Heat (I have the paid version) on both platforms.

When it comes to casual use I don't think either device is better than the other which would lead me to suggest you stay within the system you're already in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 7 is a nearly perfect device. It's comfortable to hold one handed, is great for reading books (I just finished Devil in the White City)/magazines/web. And the display is fantastic for movies/tv (I routinely use HBO, Netflix, and Hulu). I listen to tons of podcasts, and even the respected Apple folks (like Andy Inhatko) have Nexus 7s. AND.....drum roll please....it's $200. Or a bit more for the new 3g one. As a person that loves tech, and Android in general, I had zero interest in any of the Android tablets, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Transformers, etc. However, my 7....I love it.

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Ohhh... this is not what I meant at all. Your screen will be full. But in the case of the Nexus 7, most apps just look like large phone screens instead of using that extra space for multi-columns, sidebars, or other interface enhancements that would present more data, make it more legible, and minimize repetitive user interaction.

Many thanks for clarifying that

asterather

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if you already have an android phone, then you should get an android tablet. you'll have all your stuff that you have on your phone (music and whatnot) and be able to sync it with your tablet. I am writing this from my nexus 7. it is amazing and I don't regret buying it at all. if you're mainly going to be at home, or in an office setting, then the 10 might be your thing, but if you want portability and a tablet that is easy to hold, then you want the 7. hope this helped and doesn't get lost in the stream. lolz

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane