Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #26  
    dvdmon's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by ShanMan14 View Post
    Correct. However I'm thinking about access to the Play store and resale value as well.
    Yeah, resale value I have no idea about. Then again, at $129, I bet you could resell it for $75 in a year without too much of a problem and then you're out, what $50 for an entire year's worth of use?

    As far as Google Play, it is true that it's much less painful to have full Google Play capability vs. sideloading, and if you don't want to have to root, that might be worth $100 to some. Hope you can find the N7 for a discounted price. Are there any BF sales for it?
  2. #27  
    Husker Z's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    ROM
    Mean ROM

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Just a quick note, my sister and bro in law got their boy one last Christmas, the first Nabi and they say its been the biggest POS they've ever purchased. Nothing works right on it and the battery tanked after just a couple of months. I'm sure it's improved, but it truly seems more of a toy than anything. I got my kids 8&4 the N7 for Xmas, I think they are going to love it.
  3. #28  
    dvdmon's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Z View Post
    Just a quick note, my sister and bro in law got their boy one last Christmas, the first Nabi and they say its been the biggest POS they've ever purchased. Nothing works right on it and the battery tanked after just a couple of months. I'm sure it's improved, but it truly seems more of a toy than anything. I got my kids 8&4 the N7 for Xmas, I think they are going to love it.
    We had the first Nabi as well, and yes, the quality was not great compared with higher-end tablets. More on par with cheapo no-name brands. However the current Nabi is like night and day different. It has the same processor as the N7 and is incredibly quick and responsive. We've had almost zero glitches and Fuhu pushed firmware updates to the tablet 3 times to both remove bugs and increase performance, battery life, etc. The N7 is a great tablet of course, and definitely has some advantages (and some disadvantages) to the Nabi, and I'm sure they will love it. For those who are looking to save a little money without sacrificing a lot, though, I still think that the Black Friday price for the Nabi 2 is an incredible bargain, so for those who want to give a tablet to 2 or more kids, you could end up saving hundreds of dollars by opting for that over the N7.

    Also, another note - Fuhu just came out with sneak previews of a whole bunch of (kid-friendly) accessories to the Nabi that will go on sale in 5 days on their online store. No pricing info yet, and just images, but there's stuff like keyboards, kickstands, REALLY nice headphones that have volume limiting in kids mode but not parent mode, etc. You can see them on the Nabi's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nabitablet
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    All great info everyone!! We've decided to get 1 nabi 2 and 1 Nexus 7. We have 3 children. So with the Nabi 2 having access to Fooz Kids university (everything educational) and the N7 having access to Google Play. We can enjoy the best of both worlds. Both seem like great tablets, that offer different things.
    dvdmon likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by akaluza View Post
    All great info everyone!! We've decided to get 1 nabi 2 and 1 Nexus 7. We have 3 children. So with the Nabi 2 having access to Fooz Kids university (everything educational) and the N7 having access to Google Play. We can enjoy the best of both worlds. Both seem like great tablets, that offer different things.
    I do realize if you're super tech. savvy you can root the Nabi to Google Play, but.... I am not. LOL!!
  6. #31  
    dvdmon's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by akaluza View Post
    I do realize if you're super tech. savvy you can root the Nabi to Google Play, but.... I am not. LOL!!
    Sure, but remember that you can also sideload any apps from your N7 onto your Nabi 2. Here's a blog post that has step-by-step directions to do just that.

    Wanting to Play! ~ Everything Nabi!

    Also, definitely check out the Nabi Facebook page and support page for lots of great info, and you might want to pick up a microSDHC card to store music, photos, videos, etc. - you can convert your kids favorite DVD's to digital files and put them on that for viewing in the car or anywhere else that doesn't have Wifi. Good luck!
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    At $129 its compelling, assuming you can get one at that price. The specs are good, but I would still rather pay the extra $70 to have access to the Play store without messing around with ADB, rooting, installing GApps etc. The screen is not as good as the Nexus 7 and the N7 has 16gb of storage versus the 8gb of the Nabi.

    With 4.2 and multiple users, I could easily set it up as a 7" option for me if I don't want to bring the Nexus 10 with me. I've tested this with the N10 and the Kids Place app I posted earlier.

    The Nabi 2 does one thing very well. For a little more I can make a N7 do the same thing. And, the N7 does a lot more when its not a kids tablet.
  8. #33  
    davela72's Avatar

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    We had the first Nabi as well, and yes, the quality was not great compared with higher-end tablets. More on par with cheapo no-name brands. However the current Nabi is like night and day different. It has the same processor as the N7 and is incredibly quick and responsive. We've had almost zero glitches and Fuhu pushed firmware updates to the tablet 3 times to both remove bugs and increase performance, battery life, etc. The N7 is a great tablet of course, and definitely has some advantages (and some disadvantages) to the Nabi, and I'm sure they will love it. For those who are looking to save a little money without sacrificing a lot, though, I still think that the Black Friday price for the Nabi 2 is an incredible bargain, so for those who want to give a tablet to 2 or more kids, you could end up saving hundreds of dollars by opting for that over the N7.

    Also, another note - Fuhu just came out with sneak previews of a whole bunch of (kid-friendly) accessories to the Nabi that will go on sale in 5 days on their online store. No pricing info yet, and just images, but there's stuff like keyboards, kickstands, REALLY nice headphones that have volume limiting in kids mode but not parent mode, etc. You can see them on the Nabi's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nabitablet
    Not to jump too off topic, but I saw all of the accessories that are going to be released for the Nabi and am very impressed! I think it's the fact that for a small company, they are releasing such a variety of what appear to be quality accessories.

    My wife and I waited at Wal Mart last night for roughly an hour and a half and picked up 2 Nabi's. I am going to play with one of them to get the Play store to work, it doesn't look like too difficult of a task. My wife wanted me to give our 8yo daughter the N7 that I recently picked up for Christmas but I'm having a hard time with that.
  9. #34  
    dvdmon's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by davela72 View Post
    Not to jump too off topic, but I saw all of the accessories that are going to be released for the Nabi and am very impressed! I think it's the fact that for a small company, they are releasing such a variety of what appear to be quality accessories.

    My wife and I waited at Wal Mart last night for roughly an hour and a half and picked up 2 Nabi's. I am going to play with one of them to get the Play store to work, it doesn't look like too difficult of a task. My wife wanted me to give our 8yo daughter the N7 that I recently picked up for Christmas but I'm having a hard time with that.
    Dave, just a heads up that both Walmart and Best Buy seem to have way underestimated the demand for the Nabi on Black Friday and due to the large number of new tablets out there, Fuhu is having some server issues when it comes to creating your initial account. If you've done this successfully so far, great, but if not (or if you run into any other issues getting to some of the Foozkids apps), you might want to wait till later today when they resolve the issues.
  10. #35  
    davela72's Avatar

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Dave, just a heads up that both Walmart and Best Buy seem to have way underestimated the demand for the Nabi on Black Friday and due to the large number of new tablets out there, Fuhu is having some server issues when it comes to creating your initial account. If you've done this successfully so far, great, but if not (or if you run into any other issues getting to some of the Foozkids apps), you might want to wait till later today when they resolve the issues.
    I just read that on their FB page, thanks for the heads up. Yes, I was surprised that a LOT of people in line at WM were there for the Nabi. OK, back to Nexus10 material, I'll quit hijacking.
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Just an update on this.

    I bought two Nexus 7's as I intended. I checked at the time and the $129 Nabi's were out of stock. I hadn't really intended to go that route but I checked into it.

    Cases: I still like the BobJ case I linked earlier but I actually wound up with the Seidio ACTIVE Case for Google Nexus 7. They were $7 more, each, than the BobJ and the colors were a little more subdued. The Amazon.com: Poetic REVOLUTION was another front runner but only comes in black and I already deal with enough "that's mine" from little people. The colors make it easy to figure out what tablet belongs to what kid.

    Screen protectors: I bought some clear 3-pack from Ebay.

    Parental Control: I am currently test driving several. The best launcher replacement is KIDOZ however I really want the kids to use a less custom "Fisher Price" looking interface, i.e. Android. The solution thus far is Funamo. This basically sets up controls leaving stock Android (mostly) as is. I really like this one, kicker so far is that it's $20 per tablet.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Hi there. I was wondering how you were getting on with Funamo. I got a nexus 10 which the family want to share and, after the 7 yo got herself onto YouTube, I'm looking to wrest back some control, while still letting them have their own user accounts.
    Last edited by PoledratheSorceress; 02-11-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by PoledratheSorceress View Post
    Hi there. I was wondering how you were getting on with Funamo. I got a nexus 10 which the family want to share and, after the 7 yo got herself onto YouTube, I'm looking to wrest back some control, while still letting them have their own user accounts.
    have tou tried kids place? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ware.kidsplace

    Features:
    ★ Custom home screen displays only apps that parents have authorized
    ★ Can prevent children from buying or downloading new apps
    ★ Capable of blocking incoming calls when Kids Place is running
    ★ Capable of disabling all wireless signals while Kids Place is running to avoid exposure to cell phone, wifi and Bluetooth radiation
    ★ Can restarts apps accidentally stopped by small children, allowing parents to stay focused on their own tasks.
    ★ Add custom wallpaper to customize your childs experience while in Kids Place
    ★ Timer feature to lock Kids Place after specified amount of time.
    ★ Appropriate for children of all ages - babies, toddlers, even teenagers
    Thanked by:
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Thanks for the link Still1, I will add it to my bookmarked apps in the play store incase i ever need to share it with another parent.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

    Quote Originally Posted by PoledratheSorceress View Post
    Hi there. I was wondering how you were getting on with Funamo. I got a nexus 10 which the family want to share and, after the 7 yo got herself onto YouTube, I'm looking to wrest back some control, while still letting them have their own user accounts.
    Funamo is great. It's transparent (until something restricted is attempted) the support is great, the online web console is very good too. I bought Funamo after testing some free options, Funamo is the way to go IMO. I also installed Cerberus.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 10: 16gb vs 32gb
    By Max Heller in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
  2. Nexus 10 Dual core vs other Quad core processor
    By still1 in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
  3. Nexus 7 vs the Nexus 10 - Is the 7 too small?
    By TerryMasters in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
  4. Nexus 7 vs. Note 10.1
    By LegalAmerican in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions