Nabi 2 vs. Nexus 10

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all~
I am new to this website, so I am learning how this works. I joined in hopes of getting some advice/opinions on a learning tablet for my 6 yo and 4 yo. They are pretty responsible and quite savvy with my droid touch phone. As far as quality, durability, price and kid -friendly. How would you match up the Nabi 2 vs the Nexus 7 or 10? Also, is there otterboxes for the Nexus 7 and 10? I know the Nabi 2 comes with a protector. Can you get Google Play on the Nabi 2?

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So then I have to ask. Whats the major difference between the N7 and N10?
N10 has better screen and better processor. its not like N7 has bad processor. N7 is a beautiful,powerful device.
The screen is good resolution too.

if you dont have problem shelling 400 for a tablet go for it. the premium you pay is for the screen and processor.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
No Otterbox yet, but there's a Gumdrop case to be release some time soon--hopefully before xmas. There's also a thick, cheap rubber case known as the Bobj, which comes in kid-friendly colors.

I can see getting the 6yo a Nexus 7, but I'm not so sure about the 4yo. I'm sure they'll have their tablets for at least a couple years, but even by the time the 4yo is 6, I don't think the Nabi would be inappropriately 'kiddy'. That being said, I don't think a Nexus 7 would be inappropriate, just no specifically geared for little kids like the Nabi is (it comes preloaded with a bunch of apps right? If so, that might be the best value).

You should check on the availability of kid-friendly apps in the Play market--do a search for lists of 'top android apps' on parenting websites. The biggest thing for the little one would be having a kid-friendly launcher (by kid-friendly, I'm not saying the regular launcher is inappropriate, just that it's not "fun" with big icons and text). Read articles like this: How to make Android child-friendly | News | TechRadar

Good luck! I would definitely get the smaller tab, not the Nexus 10. You might want to use the same Google account for both devices, to avoid spending twice for the same app. By the time they need their own apps, they'll long outgrow the kid ones.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A couple things to note here in regards to the Nabi 2 vs. the Nexus 7. The Nabi has a lot of kid friendly apps preinstalled, some that you just can't get from other sources, even Google Play. It also has a microSD slot and a miniHDMI port. It has a lot of free books as well, and the case COMES with it, you don't have to pay extra.

On the downside, it has slightly lower res screen, less main memory (8GB vs. 16/32), and no GPS. It also doesn't have access to Google Play, but there are a couple of workarounds available for it, including sideloading, and, if you really want, rooting. Oh, and the Nabi has ICS vs. the Nexus having Jelly Bean, if that's matters.

The other thing of note, if cost is a factor, is that the Nabi 2 will be only $129 at Walmart (and $169 at Best Buy) on Black Friday. Not sure if the N7 is going to see any similar sales - has anyone seen any?

For kids tablets, I think it's sometimes hard to seperate out what we want to have on a tablet as an adult vs. what really matters for the child. Presumably, both of these tablets are going to look ancient in terms of technology when your kids reach an age that they can really start taking advantage of some of the more sophisticated features of the OS. By then, you probably will have replaced these with something much better, and maybe even a lot cheaper. I know that my daughter does not have any technology (as do her parents except for maybe an extra laptop) that's more than 2 or 3 years old at OLDEST. It's both sad (that things don't last as long in terms of becoming obsolete) but also interesting that technology is progressing so fast that things outlast their relevance well before their physical functioning degrades...

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking long term here. and I suppose if I can better device at the price of the Nabi 2, then why not? If the N7 is better than the Nabi 2. Kid-friendly would be nice, but for that amount of money I'm thinking long-term investment here. I have no clue what "rooting" is or even know how to do that. Play apps is nice, but I'm all about educational apps for my girls. Fun but learning at the sametime. So much to think about when it comes to the Nabi 2 and N7. It's really tough.

Just curious..... Any opinions about the Genesis Ematic tablet? I just heard about this, this morning. It's a ICS, wonder how it compares to the Nabi 2..... The Genesis Sells for $49 on BF, other $59 regular price.

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No Otterbox yet, but there's a Gumdrop case to be release some time soon--hopefully before xmas. There's also a thick, cheap rubber case known as the Bobj, which comes in kid-friendly colors.

I can see getting the 6yo a Nexus 7, but I'm not so sure about the 4yo. I'm sure they'll have their tablets for at least a couple years, but even by the time the 4yo is 6, I don't think the Nabi would be inappropriately 'kiddy'. That being said, I don't think a Nexus 7 would be inappropriate, just no specifically geared for little kids like the Nabi is (it comes preloaded with a bunch of apps right? If so, that might be the best value).

You should check on the availability of kid-friendly apps in the Play market--do a search for lists of 'top android apps' on parenting websites. The biggest thing for the little one would be having a kid-friendly launcher (by kid-friendly, I'm not saying the regular launcher is inappropriate, just that it's not "fun" with big icons and text). Read articles like this: How to make Android child-friendly | News | TechRadar

Good luck! I would definitely get the smaller tab, not the Nexus 10. You might want to use the same Google account for both devices, to avoid spending twice for the same app. By the time they need their own apps, they'll long outgrow the kid ones.

Thank you so much on the tip to use the same Google account for both devices. I wouldn't have thought of that!

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just curious..... Any opinions about the Genesis Ematic tablet? I just heard about this, this morning. It's a ICS, wonder how it compares to the Nabi 2..... The Genesis Sells for $49 on BF, other $59 regular price.

What is "BF"?

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it a hassle to install Google Play on the Nabi 2? I only say this because I am not technology savvy what so ever via why I am on here asking for more intellect advice from those who are :)

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What is "BF"?

Oops, BF = Black Friday? I guess. Which tablet are you talking about? Thing is, that with either Google or Fuhu (who make the Nabi), I trust the company to make a good product and support it. The fact that Ematic seems to make about 30 different tablets makes me a little suspicious. I checked out the one that LOOKS like the Nabi (Funtab Pro), but it has the hardware specs of the old Nabi tablet from last year, which has a lot lower hardware specs than the Nabi 2 or the N7. RIght now it sells for $150, which is a similar price to a whole slew of kids tablets out there that compete with the Nabi 2, but have generally much lower specs. I would say if you are trying to plan for a longer-term ownership, you probably don't want these because they are probably going to be frustratingly slow by and large, and you have no idea how long they will last. You can certainly get protection plans for them, which will help, but still, if I had the choice of spending $50 or so extra for added piece of mind, I'd do it. Then again, given your budget $50 (or $100 if you're considering two) may not be an insignificant amount to deal with...

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oops, BF = Black Friday? I guess. Which tablet are you talking about? Thing is, that with either Google or Fuhu (who make the Nabi), I trust the company to make a good product and support it. The fact that Ematic seems to make about 30 different tablets makes me a little suspicious. I checked out the one that LOOKS like the Nabi (Funtab Pro), but it has the hardware specs of the old Nabi tablet from last year, which has a lot lower hardware specs than the Nabi 2 or the N7. RIght now it sells for $150, which is a similar price to a whole slew of kids tablets out there that compete with the Nabi 2, but have generally much lower specs. I would say if you are trying to plan for a longer-term ownership, you probably don't want these because they are probably going to be frustratingly slow by and large, and you have no idea how long they will last. You can certainly get protection plans for them, which will help, but still, if I had the choice of spending $50 or so extra for added piece of mind, I'd do it. Then again, given your budget $50 (or $100 if you're considering two) may not be an insignificant amount to deal with...

Good point! Thanks :)

akaluza

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No problem. Here is a blog post that goes over step by step how to "sideload" apps from Google Play onto the Nabi 2: Wanting to Play! ~ Everything Nabi!

Thank you for this!!!! I sure do appreciate all the help, in steering me in the right direction. I never knew picking out a tablet for my 2 girls would be difficult. But so far, this is my thoughts and where I am mentally. I'm literally a sponge right now, with all the hours in research.

So in theory, I suppose it depends on what you want your child to have in reference to apps. It boils down to apps. Is it a hassle to try to "root" the Nabi by installing Google Play--to have access to more apps. Or does the N7 have good amount of access to kid-friendly apps, when the Nabi 2 has prestalled kid apps but no Google Play installed. RAWR!!!! Decisions on what is best and what's a hassle.
The Nexus 7, is a long-term future investment. This is the way I see it. I also see this as both being on the same, but offering different things, as what you can do. Nabi 2 is geared for children in Kindergarten to 5th grade, while the N7 works just like the iPad, sooooo would the N7 just last longer as far as mental growth and maturity? RAWR again!
So, I may purchase both. N7 for Savannah and the Nabi 2 for Carrina, to get both of best worlds.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for this!!!! I sure do appreciate all the help, in steering me in the right direction. I never knew picking out a tablet for my 2 girls would be difficult. But so far, this is my thoughts and where I am mentally. I'm literally a sponge right now, with all the hours in research.

So in theory, I suppose it depends on what you want your child to have in reference to apps. It boils down to apps. Is it a hassle to try to "root" the Nabi by installing Google Play--to have access to more apps. Or does the N7 have good amount of access to kid-friendly apps, when the Nabi 2 has prestalled kid apps but no Google Play installed. RAWR!!!! Decisions on what is best and what's a hassle.
The Nexus 7, is a long-term future investment. This is the way I see it. I also see this as both being on the same, but offering different things, as what you can do. Nabi 2 is geared for children in Kindergarten to 5th grade, while the N7 works just like the iPad, sooooo would the N7 just last longer as far as mental growth and maturity? RAWR again!
So, I may purchase both. N7 for Savannah and the Nabi 2 for Carrina, to get both of best worlds.

Well, I wouldn't say the N7 "works just like the iPad"! It's actually a bit more sophisticated. The Nabi 2's kids interface (they call "Nabi Mode" is more like the iPad as it just shows a list of apps (and folders if you choose.

Apps are definitely important. The Nabi has the advantage of having a whole kids curriculum (math, science, English and social studies) of lessons built into it which are not available on the N7. There might be ways of purchasing some of the same content, but I'm not sure exactly. Regarding apps again, The Nabi can easily install the Amazon App Store, which has 50,000 apps on it, so it's not like they are going to be missing much. There definitely some apps that are so far only available on Google Play, and if those apps are things that you really want, then it's worth taking the trouble to sideload them. I wouldn't recommend rooting for someone who isn't all that tech-savvy, plus it supposedly could void your warranty. The main apps that you wouldn't have access to on Amazon which you would have on Google Play are Google apps, but those also can be loaded from files that are available elsewhere on the net - you don't have to get them from Google Play.

I'd definitely take them to a local Best Buy (or maybe Walmart), but call first to make sure they are on display, and have them play with each and see what they think.

One other thing I should mention is that while Android Central is a great forum for asking questions and getting help on Android devices in general, most of it is geared towards adults, not kids. I'd love it if they would make an "Android for kids forum" and have suggested it, but so far there hasn't been a response. Some people do modify their N7 (and other tablets) for use for their kids and so post here occasionally, but in general, it's not going to be as easy to get answers here as it is for the Nabi. I say that because the Nabi has a facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/nabitablet) which has a ton of activity. I came to it last December when we got our first Nabi and started helping less tech-savvy people with questions. The company, Fuhu, was enlightened enough with me and a couple of other parent who would help out that they made us official helpers or "Fan-a-Techs" and our number has grown to I think 16 or so overall. So generally when you post there any question, you will get multiple detailed answers almost any time of the day or night from us or from the Fuhu employees. They are truly one of the most customer-oriented companies I've seen. I've worked with them behind the scenes as well, and they are coming out with some really awesome kid-centric accessories for the Nabi 2 hopefully in time for the holidays as well. They are really a great company. Google isn't too shabby either ;-) And of course they are huge huge huge in comparison to Fuhu, but that size also means it is sometimes dificult to get a personalized answer or help from them, whereas that is fairly common for the Nabi, which is especially important if you are not particularly tech savvy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy