Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Sorry for the duplicate posts I realized I put the previous post in the wrong place.

    Someone gave me a Kindle Fire which is fine however it has no "Dark Horse" app. Yes I can side load it but even then I cant purchase in app (It looks for the Google Play store). So I'm not buying the Amazon branded tablets. Also I love the Nexus 7 but I'm tired of pinching and zooming.

    It seems like from what I can tell the perfect comic 10 inch tablet is the Nexus 10. I get Comixology and Dark Horse even Marvel if needed and the strong point of the Nexus 10 is the ONLY thing I care about the screen.

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    You might find your favorite newspaper comics at gocomics.com. By signing up, you can receive a daily email with which ever ones you choose.

    I get a couple of dozen comics each morning. But comic books are not available.

    I can't wait to view them on my Nexus 10.

    Shelly
  3. #3  
    ptjTkVHCPo77pyoEcGkMnQn2's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    I'm considering the same thing. Are Image day and date yet?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Yes, they are day and date with Comixology or the Image Comics App.
  5. #5  
    ltracte's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly. Any 10 inch tablet will do. I have been using a Xoom since the day it came out, and am glad to be finally retiring it for a nexus 10, but any 10 inch android tablet will suit your needs. Comics look fantastic on the 10 inch screens, and while a small amount of pinching and zooming is sometimes necessary, it is MUCH better than on a 7 inch screen. If you collect digital comics in the form of .cbr or .cbz files, i would strongly recommend Komik, or if you dont mind shelling out $15 for it, Comic Reader Mobi is an absolutely beautiful comic reader app. I use it every day so the cost was well worth it. It has intelligent zoom functions, like if you tap a dialogue box on a page, it detects the edges of it and pops open a perfectly framed zoom window for just that box. It also has really nice page turn animations. just a really well put together app, aside from the menus, that is. Check them out, well worth the look.
    technician199 likes this.
  6. #6  
    crankyd00d's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Good choice, you should try to get a tablet with the most RAM you can get in case you want to start reading comics in .cbr or .cbz, or .rar or .zip formats, depending on how many pages are packed in a file that RAM will come in handy. Regarding apps, you should try Perfect Viewer for your local files, or Manga Watcher for web reading. I hope this helps
  7. #7  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltracte View Post
    Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly. Any 10 inch tablet will do. I have been using a Xoom since the day it came out, and am glad to be finally retiring it for a nexus 10, but any 10 inch android tablet will suit your needs. Comics look fantastic on the 10 inch screens, and while a small amount of pinching and zooming is sometimes necessary, it is MUCH better than on a 7 inch screen. If you collect digital comics in the form of .cbr or .cbz files, i would strongly recommend Komik, or if you dont mind shelling out $15 for it, Comic Reader Mobi is an absolutely beautiful comic reader app. I use it every day so the cost was well worth it. It has intelligent zoom functions, like if you tap a dialogue box on a page, it detects the edges of it and pops open a perfectly framed zoom window for just that box. It also has really nice page turn animations. just a really well put together app, aside from the menus, that is. Check them out, well worth the look.
    It's better to have a very high-res tablet for comic, magazine etc viewing IMO. Just so you can read it as if it were print.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ltracte View Post
    Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly.
    Yes it does. Either Nexus 10 or iPad 3gen. The sharper the screen the better comic book looks - art and fonts everything looks sharper and more vivid on fullHD+ screens. Since I tried new ipad I can't read on 1280х800 tablets anymore - they comics look soapy and ugly.
    Check the attachment to see the difference Attachment 46462
    But even the HiRes screens still loose to printed comic books. I think the resolution should be twice higher for eyes to be unable to notice the difference between paper and digital screen.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Looks like I'm going to be the only one to suggest it.

    Save yourself the money and buy a Nexus 7.

    I tell ya, one of the primary things I use my Nexus 7 for is reading comics. Never once have I had to pinch and zoom unless on two page splash pages. And neither have I had a complaint about resolution either. Actually I usually recommend it as a comic book reader when people ask me about. My suggestion to you would be to try and get your hands on one and download Perfect Viewer (phenomenal free app BTW) and test it out. Plus, the 7 inch size is perfect to hold just like a comic book.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
    Looks like I'm going to be the only one to suggest it.

    Save yourself the money and buy a Nexus 7.

    I tell ya, one of the primary things I use my Nexus 7 for is reading comics. Never once have I had to pinch and zoom unless on two page splash pages. And neither have I had a complaint about resolution either. Actually I usually recommend it as a comic book reader when people ask me about. My suggestion to you would be to try and get your hands on one and download Perfect Viewer (phenomenal free app BTW) and test it out. Plus, the 7 inch size is perfect to hold just like a comic book.
    Looks like you didn't read his original post.
    He said he doesn't want to pinch and zoom. Don't come in here acting like the hero when you didn't read his statement. And op, nexus 10 FTW!
    Keep it stress-free, brah!!!
  11. #11  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    If you are going to be reading comics in the .cbr .cbz etc format then I highly recommend you get Comic Rack. It is by far the best comic reader I've used. They have a paid and a free app. If you get the desktop application you can organise your comics on your desktop machine and sync them to your device.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    i have found that since purchasing the nexus7, that i mostly read comics on it.....it just looks so damn good (comixology and dark horse apps).

    if the comic is "setup" right, you do not have to pinch and zoom.
    the two i use have frame transitions that make the reading so much easier.

    you can spin landscape or portrait as well to make the frame fill the screen...but even on a 7" screen, i find it unnecessary.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by gfsockmonkey View Post
    i have found that since purchasing the nexus7, that i mostly read comics on it.....it just looks so damn good (comixology and dark horse apps).

    if the comic is "setup" right, you do not have to pinch and zoom.
    the two i use have frame transitions that make the reading so much easier.

    you can spin landscape or portrait as well to make the frame fill the screen...but even on a 7" screen, i find it unnecessary.
    The only thing I disagree with here is that I do find it necessary to rotate between landscape and portrait.
    I also use Comixology and have it setup to show the whole page on a page turn, then zoom panel by panel, then show the whole page again before turning the page. This way I get that great graphic overview of the whole page and the full screen panel to read - in my opinion, no compromise.

    I've ordered the Nexus 10 (got my shipping notification this morning), am am looking forward to my comics on it! Magazines too.
    Darth Vader offers you a Guinness.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Noble View Post
    If you are going to be reading comics in the .cbr .cbz etc format then I highly recommend you get Comic Rack. It is by far the best comic reader I've used. They have a paid and a free app. If you get the desktop application you can organise your comics on your desktop machine and sync them to your device.
    This guy knows what he's talking about.

    ComicRack is the absolute best comics app for android.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by littleemp View Post
    ComicRack is the absolute best comics app for android.
    This is the reason i go back from iPad to android tablet (Nexus 10) - there is no iOS version of ComicRack
    all iOS .cbr readers kneel before ComicRack
  16. #16  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    you can also side load Google play. look for the gapps download that everyone flashes when they put on roms like cyanogenmod. (that would be the most cost effective solution)

    if cost is no issue, in my experience, anything less than a 10 inch screen is not ideal for reading comic books
  17. #17  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    I smell a lot of dirty pirates in this thread. Thanks for killing the industry.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    A lot of dirty pirates, eh? Comixology, Marvel, and Dark Horse apps are all paid-content-only apps; how, exactly, is this killing the industry?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Asus TF700. Nice high def screen.
  20. #20  
    ptjTkVHCPo77pyoEcGkMnQn2's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satellite#AC View Post
    Yes, they are day and date with Comixology or the Image Comics App.
    Thanks!

    Soon as the N10s hit J&R I'll order.

    I've only been reading a few years and now that I'm up to 100s of issues and 160 trades I see this is not sustainable.

    Kinda sad b/c my shop is really awesome but I really need to save space.
    Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericinmilpitas View Post
    Thanks!

    Soon as the N10s hit J&R I'll order.

    I've only been reading a few years and now that I'm up to 100s of issues and 160 trades I see this is not sustainable.

    Kinda sad b/c my shop is really awesome but I really need to save space.
    Im in the same boat trades, singles that stuff adds up and you have closets or rooms full of crap. Ive gone digital with everything and comics digitally is a homerun for me.

    By the way everyone thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated. I'm going to get the Nexus 10 when the 32GB is available.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by TemporalBeef View Post
    I smell a lot of dirty pirates in this thread. Thanks for killing the industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by devlogic View Post
    A lot of dirty pirates, eh? Comixology, Marvel, and Dark Horse apps are all paid-content-only apps; how, exactly, is this killing the industry?
    Pretty sure he wasn't referring to the people recommending those apps, but the ones recommending the CBR/CBZ viewing apps. Since (afaik) the only way to get files of that type is by downloading them from file-sharing sites (or scanning the comics in yourself I guess).
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  
    Cdub100's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    I would LOVE to use my free digital download from the marvel comics but I don't want to ruin the "value" by tearing off the sticker blocking the code. Sigh... there has to be a better way.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfreemanoh View Post
    Pretty sure he wasn't referring to the people recommending those apps, but the ones recommending the CBR/CBZ viewing apps. Since (afaik) the only way to get files of that type is by downloading them from file-sharing sites (or scanning the comics in yourself I guess).
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant... thanks for reading between the lines.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

    Comicrack +1!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.
    By Satellite#AC in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
  3. Does anyone buy the tablet->phone dock for nexus S?
    By E_man in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  4. What android tablet for under 200? wait or buy an old one?
    By urban ali in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
  5. Buying a tablet for travel instead of laptop
    By maryoser in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Posting Permissions