Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Craig King
  • 2 Post By carracerz14
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  • 2 Post By PJnc284
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default is the nexus 10 worth $100 more than the galaxy tab 2 10.1?

hi
    debating on which tab to get. i have the galaxy s2 and love samsung devices.
    costco has the galaxy tab 2 for $329 right now, but i think there will be some black friday deals
    so is the nexus 10 worth the extra money?
    thanks

Default Re: is the nexus 10 worth $100 more than the galaxy tab 2 10.1?

What you need to remember is that in most cases the Nexus 10 is a upgrade. It has a better screen, more ram, and much faster CPU. On top of that it is a nexus instead of a skined device, so you get all your updates right from google. After haveing a xoom wifi since it's release the fast update cycle is great.

Samsung is notorious for just releasing a new tablet instead of updating the ones they already have. So if you get the galaxy tab 2 you will probably be stuck with it the way it is till you get rid of it. Well unless you root and use custom roms.

The only thing I can see with the Galaxy tab 2 might have over the Nexus is the Micro SD Slot. That is debateable though since the nexus 10 is suppose to be able to use flash drive via (OTG usb adapters)
    Thanked by:
    crxssi, Live2ride883 and Caldera like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post
    What you need to remember is that in most cases the Nexus 10 is a upgrade. It has a better screen, more ram, and much faster CPU. On top of that it is a nexus instead of a skined device, so you get all your updates right from google. After haveing a xoom wifi since it's release the fast update cycle is great.

Samsung is notorious for just releasing a new tablet instead of updating the ones they already have. So if you get the galaxy tab 2 you will probably be stuck with it the way it is till you get rid of it. Well unless you root and use custom roms.

The only thing I can see with the Galaxy tab 2 might have over the Nexus is the Micro SD Slot. That is debateable though since the nexus 10 is suppose to be able to use flash drive via (OTG usb adapters)
    This is exactly what I wanted to reply to this topic. you made my life easier.
    Last edited by still1; 11-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post
    That is debateable though since the nexus 10 is suppose to be able to use flash drive via (OTG usb adapters)
    Well, it doesn't.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

It does, you just have to use a program for it to work

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

N10 all the way, unless you need mSD.

I did some research myself and had to go with the Nexus 10. I've never had a pure Google device, which was a deciding factor for me. Besides I was tired of waiting for updates.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Well, it doesn't.
    Root and use stick mount. It's awesome. I can even mount my phone to it and transfer files

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    Root and use stick mount. It's awesome. I can even mount my phone to it and transfer files
    Root it and:

* Your warranty on your few-day old device is gone (at least it does on all other brands)
    * You risk damaging the device in a way that cannot be recovered.
    * Your DRM is broken and you can no longer use Google video rentals (at least it does on other brands)
    * You can no longer use the TiVo stream (something I would like to do)
    * If you plan on using certain security to protect the tablet, that is no longer effective
    * You then have to sometimes delay updates

Rooting is not without consequences. You shouldn't have to root the device just to mount a flash drive.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

ROM
    Arctic HD

I think you don't understand rooting. Rooting doesn't change anything. You won't damage your device. There is always a way to recover unless you really screwed up when flashing a rom, Google movies still works, you can always take it back to stock for warranty purpose and no one will ever know, and it doesn't make anything less secure.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:
    clarker07 and icebluelily like this.

Well, it doesn't.
    Well i think the point is that it does support it, as intended. There is a thread here were Jerry addresses this issue. I guess it works the same way as it does on any other Nexus device. OTG is nice, but it isn't anything I would consider for using for anything other then media content. Like load up a 128GB Flash drive with movies to take on a play or on a trip for my daughter.

The only reasons I can think of to use it to write to would be for pictures or videos made on the tablet. I may be the only one that feels this way but for the most part the camera on tablets is a complete and total waste. I have had my Xoom since the wifi was released. I have used the camera maybe twice. I just think it is a complete waste when I can do it, and probably better with my phone.

I do worry about the capacity though. With the screen resolution of the nexus 10 everything is going to get larger. I really don't know how far the 16GB is going to get you once you add on multi user.

Well, it doesn't.
    Yes, it does. You just need to download the Nexus Media Importer app--I use to access my USB drive on my Nexus 7 without rooting. Apparently they've already released an update for 4.2 compatibility.
    Live2ride883 likes this.

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

Quote Originally Posted by roberts68 View Post
    hi
    debating on which tab to get. i have the galaxy s2 and love samsung devices.
    costco has the galaxy tab 2 for $329 right now, but i think there will be some black friday deals
    so is the nexus 10 worth the extra money?
    thanks
    Everything about the n10 is better but the sdcard. I had the first 10.1 and in sold it to get this and I'm soooooo glad. Display, CPU, battery, ram, and it being a nexus is all the reason to pay the price.

Root it and:

* Your warranty on your few-day old device is gone (at least it does on all other brands)
    * You risk damaging the device in a way that cannot be recovered.
    * Your DRM is broken and you can no longer use Google video rentals (at least it does on other brands)
    * You can no longer use the TiVo stream (something I would like to do)
    * If you plan on using certain security to protect the tablet, that is no longer effective
    * You then have to sometimes delay updates

Rooting is not without consequences. You shouldn't have to root the device just to mount a flash drive.
    Contrary to popular belief, the act of simply rooting does NOT void your warranty. Every device I've had has specific clauses relating to ONLY defect and damage caused by modification. The warranty terms on the Nexus 10 are no exception. Sure if you overclock and fry your cpu or brick your device (next to impossible especially on a nexus) then you're up the creek but assuming you have a little common sense and can follow directions, then you should have no issues. With that said, I'm not advocating unlocking and rooting your device out of the gate without first doing research and understanding what's involved.
    crxssi and Caldera like this.

ROM
    Stock, Paranoid, CM10

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the act of simply rooting does NOT void your warranty.
    Yep. I have never been denied warranty service for a rooted device.

Considering that the Tab 2 is junk that even many Android sites are giving bad reviews I would say its a no brainier to get a Nexus 10.
    Thanked by:

Not so fast. Even though it is legal to jailbreak or root many manufacturers and carriers will withhold warrant service for doing this. The fact that it is legal does not prevent them from making their own support requirements. Telling people it does not void your warranty is very bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the act of simply rooting does NOT void your warranty. Every device I've had has specific clauses relating to ONLY defect and damage caused by modification. The warranty terms on the Nexus 10 are no exception. Sure if you overclock and fry your cpu or brick your device (next to impossible especially on a nexus) then you're up the creek but assuming you have a little common sense and can follow directions, then you should have no issues. With that said, I'm not advocating unlocking and rooting your device out of the gate without first doing research and understanding what's involved.