Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Nexus 10 crash & reboot

Same thing here. Crashes multiple times a day. This is the only thing I don't like about this. Hoping that Google releases a software patch.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

My Nexus 10 has crashed twice. I'm hoping it's just an Android 4.2 problem.

I'm confident that it's a software bug that will get fixed in the next (or a future) release.

Glad I'm not the only one having these problems. It happens most often when I run graphics heavy apps, including chrome. This does not happen with the N7 or N4, both running 4.2. It's probably the driver for the graphics, knowing samsung... it may be a while before we get a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    But you also probably never used the N7 with 4.2, did you?
    It's completely different hardware and drivers with the N10 so I don't think it's relevant.

Personally, I'm not worried, or scared that I bought a lemon. It's annoying but it reboots so quickly that it's mainly just annoying at this point.

As soon as the N10 is powered on for the first time, it automatically starts downloading 4.2 it comes with 4.1.1 and that treasures a while to go through and soon as it does it reboots. So that's most likely the cause.

So my nexus 10 is also randomly rebooting and freezing multiple times a day. V disappointing as it is great in every other way. Does anyone know how you can feedback to Google directly about these issues?

I got good news. For me at least, the 4.2.1 update has stopped the random reboot issue. I haven't gotten it once since the update. And for me it only happened while in idle. My nexus 10 has never frozen out crashed before just random reboots.

Try unchecking enable background sync on currents then reboot and see if that helps.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

I was using chrome on Amazon and scrolling down a page and BAM, it just froze with the screen on. Had to hold power to reboot.
    Looks like along with the 4.2.1 update there is an update to Chrome to address instability and performance problems. This might be just what is needed to fix the problems people are reporting.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Looks like along with the 4.2.1 update there is an update to Chrome to address instability and performance problems. This might be just what is needed to fix the problems people are reporting.
    I had a crash last night that wasn't in chrome. I've been using firefox but I don't remember if there may have been a chrome in the background.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
    I had a crash last night that wasn't in chrome. I've been using firefox but I don't remember if there may have been a chrome in the background.
    Well, I didn't mean to imply that ALL the problems with the Nexus 10 and 4.2.0 were due to Chrome- just seemed like a lot of them were. Let's hope the 4.2.1 update plus the Chrome update are the "knockout punch" for most of what ails people
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Just had a reboot while watching YouTube video. While that was random, I am impressed with how quickly it starts back up though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    gaxfax likes this.

So did I today, getting crashes twice a day since I received my nexus 10. crashed 10 minutes after booting since the 4.2.1 update. The second time I just started the n10 and got distracted for a while so didn't use it at all and it still rebooted after about 10 minutes.
    Last edited by gaxfax; 11-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Just happened again so now I remember where it happened last night: Adobe acrobat reader.

Just wanted to add another confirmation here, I'm seeing similar behavior. I'm not getting an instant reboot though most of the time, that has happened once since having the tablet for about a week. Before this I did have a Nexus 7, got the update to 4.2 just before returning it, and I did see some similar behaviors in the two weeks I had it but definitely not as frequent. The most common problem so far seems that at some point it begins to crash apps out (I think possibly something is going wrong with the garbage collection and the system is running out of RAM then killing out my apps). After a reboot this is resolved but seems to arise again after a few hours (usually I've watched some things on Netflix or YouTube and left the tablet sitting for some time afterwards then on the next use, this behavior begins, also eluding to a memory leak/software issue). I just grabbed a free logcat app from the play store to see if it can show me anything about the crash, I may have to get a bit deeper into it though as this doesn't seem to be giving me much info. I'll let you all know if I find anything too.

If anyone out there is aware of any good logging software for the android system info that will run in the background to help diagnose what's going on that would probably be a good start.

-Shaun

yep same here, at least 3 times a day. Most of the time, I'm not even using it. It will be sitting on the coffee table, then spring to life on the boot screen. I was hoping the 4.2.1 update would fix it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

Until now, I only had 2 crashes when using Chrome (that was before the recent updates).

Maybe you can try to set your WiFi frequency setting on the N10 to 2.4 GHz instead of Auto. Auto crashed my GNex with 4.1 1-3 times per day.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Google must have heard me. I haven't seen the strange crash since I posted this query. It's been nicely stable and behaving itself.

Of course, now that I've said that...

I am on the market for a new tablet and I was looking between the nexus 10 and ipad mini, I know the mini has low res, I have used a nexus 7 and lagged a lot, and the nexus 7 had much more horsepower and better res, but all this crashes that people are having are making me think is not a great choice, I heard chrome or facebook are the culprits. I need some help on what to choose, none of the other android tablets I am interested on, I tried even the kindle fire HD 8.9 and the browser was a bad experience, the speakers were good though.

what I am looking for:
    Performance
    Apps
    Great Speakers
    Great for video watching specially in HD.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1087 View Post
    I am on the market for a new tablet and I was looking between the nexus 10 and ipad mini, I know the mini has low res
    And is much slower, and has much less memory, and a worse camera, and far worse sound, and much smaller screen, and, and, and...

I have used a nexus 7 and lagged a lot,
    The Nexus 10 is much faster than the Nexus 7. I never see any "lag".

and the nexus 7 had much more horsepower and better res, but all this crashes that people are having are making me think is not a great choice,
    I have not had but a single crash/freeze and that was with the stock browser (Chrome) quite a while ago.

I heard chrome or facebook are the culprits. I need some help on what to choose, none of the other android tablets I am interested on, I tried even the kindle fire HD 8.9 and the browser was a bad experience, the speakers were good though.
    You might end up with no problems at all on an N10. One thing is for sure, the N10 is Google's flagship device, it has already seen updates in its short life and will continue to be updated to fix any issues. The N10 should make the Fire HD seem like a toy...

And is much slower, and has much less memory, and a worse camera, and far worse sound, and much smaller screen, and, and, and...

The Nexus 10 is much faster than the Nexus 7. I never see any "lag".

I have not had but a single crash/freeze and that was with the stock browser (Chrome) quite a while ago.

You might end up with no problems at all on an N10. One thing is for sure, the N10 is Google's flagship device, it has already seen updates in its short life and will continue to be updated to fix any issues. The N10 should make the Fire HD seem like a toy...
    but there is a chance I might end up with problems on it huh? darn I like the nexus but I keep reading about random reboots and freezes makes me think before making an order I guess I will have to wait until there is a fix for it at least for now.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1087 View Post
    but there is a chance I might end up with problems on it huh? darn I like the nexus but I keep reading about random reboots and freezes makes me think before making an order I guess I will have to wait until there is a fix for it at least for now.
    Believe it or not, there is also a chance you could buy an iPad and have problems (or at least disappointment and regret). There are just so many possibilities.

From someone who has owned and/or used many, many different devices, I can tell you that, for me, the N10 experience has been very positive so far, and I think it is only going to get even better. If you want to wait, that is certainly valid- it just means even more accessories will be available after your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by dodysw View Post
    Happened to me. There weren't specific pattern, any app can trigger a hang, nothing could be pressed after that, even the home button froze. After about half a minute, it would reboot itself.

This happened strangely often when launching chrome with existing tabs on previous session. But I can not reproduce this reliably. Firefox is hopeless in my case, it would crash in a few seconds, but won't cause rebooting.
    I had the same issue with chrome even after their latest update I've since been using dolphin browser and seems to be okay now. Its sad chrome should be much better if they want to ship the nexus 10 with it as the default browser.

Add me to this list of crashing. Went to colored X and stalled. I had to force restart the tablet. So far this being my first nexus device I'm a bit disappointed with all the quirks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

I have also had periodic restarts, some are just quick reboots, others cause the system to hang and I have to a hard restart (holding the power button) to get it to come back. I cannot pin point it to a particular app, I have had it freeze in a variety of apps.

I am also experience issues with the wireless where the connection will just stop, only way to get it back to a good state is to disable and enable the wireless.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast