Nexus 10 crash & reboot

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think the 4.2 release was rushed a bit. Lots of apps need updating. I have had no crashes or reboots, but I have had it be a bit flaky and chose to reboot. Be patient, I am sure as a Nexus flagship device, it will be updated again soon.

mike downing

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 10 crash & reboot and no drivers

This is my first tablet so I thought that the freezing was kinda a normal thing, I do have a biiger problem with my n10 I had this for a couple days and spend night and day getting it all setup to my liking when I decided to put some pictures on it and I just sent some via e-mail then I read about plugging it into the computer using the USB and when I did it was unknown to my computer so I spent hours playing with it and nothing, I called support and spent another hour on the phone only to have them say I don't know send it back, I really hate to have to do that and loose all I have setup on it, I tried to download SDK and get the drivers there but that's way over my head I could not find them so right now I just don't know what to do, if support knew anything I would think they could e-mail me the USB drivers. I am very frustrated right now over my first tablet that I do enjoy a lot, am looking for suggestions on a fix for me. Thank you all.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my first tablet so I thought that the freezing was kinda a normal thing, I do have a biiger problem with my n10 I had this for a couple days and spend night and day getting it all setup to my liking when I decided to put some pictures on it and I just sent some via e-mail then I read about plugging it into the computer using the USB and when I did it was unknown to my computer so I spent hours playing with it and nothing, I called support and spent another hour on the phone only to have them say I don't know send it back, I really hate to have to do that and loose all I have setup on it, I tried to download SDK and get the drivers there but that's way over my head I could not find them so right now I just don't know what to do, if support knew anything I would think they could e-mail me the USB drivers. I am very frustrated right now over my first tablet that I do enjoy a lot, am looking for suggestions on a fix for me. Thank you all.

jbc28

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
But you also probably never used the N7 with 4.2, did you?

I have 2 N7's with 4.2. The N7 doesn't crash. The N10 has at least 3 a day while using chrome.

Edit....speaking only for our devices. I'm sure there are some that are buggy.

zero262

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. Crashes multiple times a day. This is the only thing I don't like about this. Hoping that Google releases a software patch.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Ray Maxwin

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one having these problems. It happens most often when I run graphics heavy apps, including chrome. This does not happen with the N7 or N4, both running 4.2. It's probably the driver for the graphics, knowing samsung... it may be a while before we get a patch.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
But you also probably never used the N7 with 4.2, did you?

It's completely different hardware and drivers with the N10 so I don't think it's relevant.

Personally, I'm not worried, or scared that I bought a lemon. It's annoying but it reboots so quickly that it's mainly just annoying at this point.

asterather

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As soon as the N10 is powered on for the first time, it automatically starts downloading 4.2 it comes with 4.1.1 and that treasures a while to go through and soon as it does it reboots. So that's most likely the cause.

simonboscoe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So my nexus 10 is also randomly rebooting and freezing multiple times a day. V disappointing as it is great in every other way. Does anyone know how you can feedback to Google directly about these issues?

Jugador

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I got good news. For me at least, the 4.2.1 update has stopped the random reboot issue. I haven't gotten it once since the update. And for me it only happened while in idle. My nexus 10 has never frozen out crashed before just random reboots.

Try unchecking enable background sync on currents then reboot and see if that helps.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was using chrome on Amazon and scrolling down a page and BAM, it just froze with the screen on. Had to hold power to reboot.

Looks like along with the 4.2.1 update there is an update to Chrome to address instability and performance problems. This might be just what is needed to fix the problems people are reporting.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like along with the 4.2.1 update there is an update to Chrome to address instability and performance problems. This might be just what is needed to fix the problems people are reporting.

I had a crash last night that wasn't in chrome. I've been using firefox but I don't remember if there may have been a chrome in the background.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a crash last night that wasn't in chrome. I've been using firefox but I don't remember if there may have been a chrome in the background.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that ALL the problems with the Nexus 10 and 4.2.0 were due to Chrome- just seemed like a lot of them were. Let's hope the 4.2.1 update plus the Chrome update are the "knockout punch" for most of what ails people :)

xxLiquidX

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just had a reboot while watching YouTube video. While that was random, I am impressed with how quickly it starts back up though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

gaxfax

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So did I today, getting crashes twice a day since I received my nexus 10. crashed 10 minutes after booting since the 4.2.1 update. The second time I just started the n10 and got distracted for a while so didn't use it at all and it still rebooted after about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Shaun Husain

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add another confirmation here, I'm seeing similar behavior. I'm not getting an instant reboot though most of the time, that has happened once since having the tablet for about a week. Before this I did have a Nexus 7, got the update to 4.2 just before returning it, and I did see some similar behaviors in the two weeks I had it but definitely not as frequent. The most common problem so far seems that at some point it begins to crash apps out (I think possibly something is going wrong with the garbage collection and the system is running out of RAM then killing out my apps). After a reboot this is resolved but seems to arise again after a few hours (usually I've watched some things on Netflix or YouTube and left the tablet sitting for some time afterwards then on the next use, this behavior begins, also eluding to a memory leak/software issue). I just grabbed a free logcat app from the play store to see if it can show me anything about the crash, I may have to get a bit deeper into it though as this doesn't seem to be giving me much info. I'll let you all know if I find anything too.

If anyone out there is aware of any good logging software for the android system info that will run in the background to help diagnose what's going on that would probably be a good start.

-Shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol