No USB Flash Drive Support

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just picked an OTG cable and experienced the same issue - just plugging a USB flash into my Nexus 7 yields no joy. Now for the interesting thing, I tried the same thing with my Samsung S3 running 4.0.4 and it immediately recognized my flash and let me start playing tunes from it.

Any ideas what extra element has Samsung loaded to allow this? This is the way things are supposed to work.

Samsung and just about every other vendor added back the missing automount support so it works they way it should, without needing to root.

Maturola

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
WRONG! Try again. There are at least several apps that will no longer work due to DRM.

WRONG! there easy fix to make those app works if you expend just a few minutes reading.

It is a stupid, short-sighted, and anti-consumer model and it needs to change. The way to be popular and have happy customers is *NOT* to restrict things that people are asking for. Those who want to "stream" everything when they are lucky enough to be in a stable, accessible WiFi area are free to do so either way.

It is NOT stupid and short-sighed and the less anti-customer model it exits, you buy hardware maybe once a year of you keep up the latest release, software updates, ads, online streaming and cloud storage are use multiple time at minute, it is clear where the money is and they want it. Do I agreed with it? maybe not, but when that is the business model they chose.

Shane Mc Grath

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They want to be very careful with that business model, It wont last long. I will opt for a Samsung device maybe wait for Samsungs version of a 10 inch retina tablet with micro sd slot.
Google is copying Apple with it's locked in devices with less options, Apple is starting to now feel the wrath from Samsungs devices which are open and have more options.
Samsung will be getting my dollars, My phone is iphone 3GS next phone is Samsung Galaxy Note II as it does everything, My tablet is ipad (1st gen) next tablet will be Samsung note 10.1 or preferably their next 10 inch retina tablet with a micro sd slot.

skotter

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to have to agree with this being a bad idea. For my company we are comparing the Nexus 10 with the Asus Transformer Prime. If you have the dock with the Prime you can plug in a usb thumb drive and read and write to it with a built in app, with the Nexus 10 you cannot. The Prime also has an SD card slot. Right now that's a big minus for the Nexus 10. The Nexus 10 should be able to do this out of the box. I went android to get away from the Apple model of not being able to do this out of the box. Google as a company should know better. Google if you do in fact read these posts please release an update that allows for someone to plug in a usb flash drive and read and write to it. You'll sell more tablets in the Enterprise if you do so.

feri_z

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Currently I am writing the app "Nexus 10 USB Stick (noroot)" that uses standard Java USB Host API to access an attached USB Stick.
Currently only reading is possible, but the next step will be to support writing.

The App is available in the play-store: Nexus 10 USB Stick (noroot)

The sources can be found at the sourceforge project andstick: project page

The project is in an very early phase, so there will be some quirks.
But all of my four USB-Sticks (formatted with FAT) from 32MB to 64GB can be read. :)

Files can be downloaded to the default download-folder on the Nexus 10 (with the prefix "USBM_...")
Because writing is not implemented, there is no danger to damage the stick.
Any feedback is welcome.

feri_z

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile the project "Nexus 10 USB Stick (noroot)" is making progresses.
Writing to the stick is now possible, of course on your own risk :)
Not all is working well and you should never have any important data on your stick when activating the Write-Access.
But it is going on.

There are now two browsers, own for the local file system and one for the USB Stick, so the files can be copied from one folder to the other.

I am not interested in writing another Filemanager, there are quite a lot around.
Does anyone know a filemanager which has a Plug-In Interface to support "foreign filesystems"?
I would like to write the plug-in and leave the GUI and so one for others. ;)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
libmtp

Takes less time to fix than it did to write all that zombie story nonsense. But this post is about supporting USB stick when plugged into the tablet, and has nothing to do with computers.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Meanwhile the project "Nexus 10 USB Stick (noroot)" is making progresses.
Writing to the stick is now possible, of course on your own risk :)
Not all is working well and you should never have any important data on your stick when activating the Write-Access.
But it is going on.

There are now two browsers, own for the local file system and one for the USB Stick, so the files can be copied from one folder to the other.

I am not interested in writing another Filemanager, there are quite a lot around.
Does anyone know a filemanager which has a Plug-In Interface to support "foreign filesystems"?
I would like to write the plug-in and leave the GUI and so one for others. ;)

Can't find it on the play store - has it gone away?

Alan

feri_z

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Alan,

the App is gone, but there is a plugin for the filemanager "Total Commander". You can find the "USB Stick Plugin-TC (noroot)" in the Play-Store:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=de.hechler.tcplugins.usbstick&token=eyna0Mvy

This Plugin only works if you have installed the "Total Commander".
I recomend using the beta release 2.02 of Total Commander which can be downloaded from the developer homepage: Total Commander - Android
You can also use the release 2.01 from the Play-Store: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ghisler.android.TotalCommander&token=rBb8jlWo
The drawback of release v2.01 is, that there is no refresh if you attach / detach an USB-Stick.

WARNING: The plugin is a beta release, so do NOT use it with sticks containing important data.

If you have any feedback or questions plese use the forum: USB Stick Plugin for Total Commander (Android) • Index page