Pulse Notification Light

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble getting the pulse notification light to work? I have yet to even see it work once on my nexus 10. I rebooted into safe mode and couldn't get it to work there either. Tried a factory data reset and still no luck. It is checked in the system settings too. I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue which has me pretty bummed...

Any help is appreciated!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
try out this app called light flow. It can customize the LED. see if that works.

also, i am not totally sure if LED is available in N10. others can confirm that

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
try out this app called light flow. It can customize the LED. see if that works.

also, i am not totally sure if LED is available in N10. others can confirm that

Thanks, but I had already tried Light Flow as well. I'm pretty sure there is an LED on the N10 as there is an option in Settings for Pulse Notification Light.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I thought it was just my N10. I have yet to see the LED work on mine. I do have that option checked.

Sent from my EVO LTE baby!

andrewpmoore

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have multiple users set up?

On my nexus 10 lightflow was working fine when I first tested the app.
I've not seen anything since having multi users. I'm going to try install the app under both of the users I've set up to see how it handles it.
I'll check the code out and see what gets fired when you switch user.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The notification LED is working fine for me (it worked fine "out of the box" and also with Lightflow). Quick question though, do you have the screen on? The notification LED on the Nexus 10 only works with the screen off (much like the Galaxy Nexus). I really wish Google would make this an option in the OS, but if you want the notification LED to work with the screen on, you'll need a custom ROM.

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have multiple users set up?

On my nexus 10 lightflow was working fine when I first tested the app.
I've not seen anything since having multi users. I'm going to try install the app under both of the users I've set up to see how it handles it.
I'll check the code out and see what gets fired when you switch user.

So here's something strange: woke up this morning and got a notification from my eBay app and lo and behold the notification light was flashing green. This was without light flow installed. I then installed light flow to test other notifications and they kind of worked - didn't flash correct colors, etc. But now my Facebook, gmail and eBay notifications have all triggered the notification light. Although the eBay notification is green when in light flow it is supposed to be yellow.

Go figure. Not using multiple users.

Shimmy

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with it. I've noticed it flashing white with email and blue for facebook. Haven't had any other notifications.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It's not 100%, mine was flashing yellow indicating a GTalk message and I hadn't received one since yesterday. Nothing else was set to yellow and I disabled SMS, missed call etc. So yeah, it works but still a little weird.

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not 100%, mine was flashing yellow indicating a GTalk message and I hadn't received one since yesterday. Nothing else was set to yellow and I disabled SMS, missed call etc. So yeah, it works but still a little weird.

Agreed. I've gotten it to work but it's a little flaky. Weird thing is I can't get the notification light to work without light flow.

Also, after disabling and uninstalling light flow and then reinstalling, it took about three or four emails before the notifications started working again. Very odd. At least I can rule out a hardware issue.

DiGGiTY dan

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having issues with the notification light.. My roommate and I both received our Nexus 10's Friday and out of the box his LED was working and mine wasn't. Tried turning notification on/off, restarting the device, testing with LED Tester/Light Flow, even did a factory reset and still nothing. Went to bed that night, disappointed thinking I'd have to send my new toy back, but then in the morning it started working after turning the notification off and on again. It worked through the rest of the weekend even with LED Tester/Light Flow. Until today when it stopped again. Now nothing seems to turn it back on. Since the device is new I haven't seen any mention of this issue anywhere but here. I'm glad it seems I'm not the only one with the problem.. but I wish we knew a fix for it. I just hope it's just software related.

Ivan Suen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am having problem with the notification light on my N10.

It was working fine when I first got it on Friday, with it dimming on and off when an email is received.
But it stopped working yesterday, and restarting the N10 didn't work. So I factory reset it and it was working again, indicating that it shouldn't be a hardware issue.
So I thought it must have been caused by a 3rd party app, but it stopped working again today and I reset my N10 again, and this time I performed a LED light test each time I install a new app.
Until the last app I installed, the notification light was working, then after a little while it stopped working again.
So I guess it's not really caused by 3rd party apps.

Now I don't know if I should just keep my N10 since it could just be a bug, or send it back since it might be a defective unit.

Drew Vale

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Guys just to put you in the clear. The nexus 10 does have a pulse notification light..... Only just found this question whilst I was wondering why mine flashes different colors.

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys just to put you in the clear. The nexus 10 does have a pulse notification light..... Only just found this question whilst I was wondering why mine flashes different colors.

Yes, thank you. I've gotten it to work but only with Light Flow for some reason. I thought it was a third party app causing the conflict but it wasn't working in Safe Mode either. I'm happy that it does work now but am still a bit troubled that I'm still not sure as to what causes it to not work without Light Flow (or some other 3rd party app)

Chadwick17

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
One more note to this wrinkle: notification light stopped working around 6:30pm today. The only thing that changed was that I plugged the charger in for about twenty minutes. I think I've found a pattern in the notification light failing whenever plugged into the charger but unplugged before being fully charged. I know that seems a bit strange but I'm willing to bet when I get up in the morning and the tablet is fully charged, the notification light will be working again. I have no idea why this would be the case but hopefully I can pin the cause down.