Really Hating My Nexus 10 and the crap battery!

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It has become common knowledge that the supplied charger thru micro USB is inadequate and they are going to sell you a rapid charger in the near future, if not already happened. Personally I don't mind using the slow charge, my battery will last longer. I bought the rocketfish tablet stand and just prop it up next to an outlet and you are good to go. Also, from a 100% charge, I can go nearly all day but I put in on the charger around 40% because if I needed to bolt, I would want some kind of charge for traveling. The awesome screen is the big battery chomper.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine lasts about 10-11 hours, even with heavy usage (Skype video/phone calls, gaming, NFC transfers, surfing, etc).
Trolls are trolls. iPads/iPhones have Samsung parts - including the Retina Display.

Blaine Higdon

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got a lemon also. My battery life is about 3 hours, and its battery charge will slowly *decrease* if I attempt to use it at the same time as I charge it, and it charges about 5% per hour (although last night it actually went DOWN from 38% to 20% while plugged into the charger). Not looking forward to making phone calls, dealing with the return, and losing my game saves.

nicobie

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you don't use the charger and cable that came with the N10 you will only get about 5%/hour charge. I tried 3 different micro usb chargers and all acted the same.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've got a lemon also. My battery life is about 3 hours, and its battery charge will slowly *decrease* if I attempt to use it at the same time as I charge it, and it charges about 5% per hour (although last night it actually went DOWN from 38% to 20% while plugged into the charger). Not looking forward to making phone calls, dealing with the return, and losing my game saves.

Have you tried a factory reset and use without lots of apps installed? If not, certainly try that first, before considering it defective...

Slow charging is normal. It is USB based (which is GREAT but slower) and has a big battery.

Tim Traphagan

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the brightness all the way down on mine and I am only getting about 4hrs a charge on it. I use it pretty heavy watching videos and playing DeadZone.I bought mine from walmart(past there 15 exchange period) google won't have anything to do with it(cause I didn't buy it from google play) they transfered me to talk to samsung. Samsung said I could send it for repair taking up to 2weeks(which I really don't want to). So know I need to find a new battery.

Blaine Higdon

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset and use without lots of apps installed? If not, certainly try that first, before considering it defective...

Slow charging is normal. It is USB based (which is GREAT but slower) and has a big battery.

I don't have many apps installed, it's pretty minimalist. I don't want to factory reset it yet until I've tried other things, since I don't want to lose my game saves. It'll drain battery very quickly while simply reading websites, so it's more than just a charging issue. My next step is to let it drain to 0% and then recharge it completely to see if that helps.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The reason it takes so long to charge is that it is using Micro USB and a bastardized version at that. Standard micro USB doesn't provide enough juice to charge a tablet.

Yeah that's why every country except the US has made usb standard making Apple bend over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't have many apps installed, it's pretty minimalist. I don't want to factory reset it yet until I've tried other things, since I don't want to lose my game saves. It'll drain battery very quickly while simply reading websites, so it's more than just a charging issue. My next step is to let it drain to 0% and then recharge it completely to see if that helps.

This is why you use a device like hell the first week and if there are any problems, you can take it back....and oh boy does the N10 have problems...I'm going to wait and see if all the defects get ironed out...February maybe?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is why you use a device like hell the first week and if there are any problems, you can take it back....and oh boy does the N10 have problems...I'm going to wait and see if all the defects get ironed out...February maybe?

It seems like almost all the problems started with the last update. And frankly, we are overdue for a "fix" update...

Roger Brownlow

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I finally got off the phone with Nexus support, guess they don't work weekends. After a long talk, they did say something was not right with the unit and will most likely ship me a new one but they wanted me to do a factory refresh on the unit just this once for troubleshooting and monitor the usage for 24 hours and call them back with details.

The Battery is at 55% ( 4:06pm ) charging still, started charging it at 12:27pm, 1%. It maybe done charging by 8 or 9pm tonight. So that would put it at about 9%-10% charge per hour.

It sounds to me as though something is running which is discharging the battery (in addition to whatever you are *really* doing). You should get 8-10 hours use between charges depending on what you're doing.

The time for a full recharge from flat is - or should be - around six hours if the tablet is on standby. This is reasonable if you do the sums: it's a 9 amp hour battery and you have a 2 amp charger, so if everything were 100% efficient a recharge on standby would take four and a half hours. Of course batteries are not 100% efficient and so will take more current to charge than they will produce while in use - 80% efficiency is generally a reasonable guesstimate for this type of battery.

Mine certainly works like that - so you definitely have a problem - it's not a design fault. A prompt exchange is what you need.

Rog. (New on here, but an electronics engineer)

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking hardware problems. Mainly light bleed, dead pixels, dust under screen and creaky back.

Light bleed seems pretty common on lots of devices. Fortunately, mine doesn't seem to have any. (Unlike my new Lenovo Twist, which has considerable bleed on the bottom of the screen)

My N10 also has no dead (or stuck on) pixels or dust or creaky back. I have heard a few complaints about creaky back, but none about dead pixels or dust under the screen. Of course, I don't read EVERY post, but I have been following most important threads in this forum since the N10 came out.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Light bleed seems pretty common on lots of devices. Fortunately, mine doesn't seem to have any. (Unlike my new Lenovo Twist, which has considerable bleed on the bottom of the screen)

My N10 also has no dead (or stuck on) pixels or dust or creaky back. I have heard a few complaints about creaky back, but none about dead pixels or dust under the screen. Of course, I don't read EVERY post, but I have been following most important threads in this forum since the N10 came out.

Well that's good to hear you got a good one! You might want to check out:

Nexus 10 General - xda-developers

especially the "Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!" thread....there are a lot of people that had the problems I had with the hardware.

I had light bleed at 0% back light on the two I had and returned them both. I really wanted to like this tablet but it seems like its really hard to find one without a flaw.... just accepting the flaws on a $500 tablet is unacceptable to me.

Samee Mahbub

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yea if kinds been having an issue too. I charged mine to bout 86% and after like 2.5 hrs of downloading its down to bout 40%, can u tell me bout how long a single percent is supposed to last

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well that's good to hear you got a good one! You might want to check out:

Nexus 10 General - xda-developers

especially the "Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!" thread....there are a lot of people that had the problems I had with the hardware.

I had light bleed at 0% back light on the two I had and returned them both. I really wanted to like this tablet but it seems like its really hard to find one without a flaw.... just accepting the flaws on a $500 tablet is unacceptable to me.

I agree, unless you didn't know it was it was a flaw until you were told to look for it. Mine has light bleed when I turn it up to a brightness level to level I don't use, or if I need it that bright due to ambient lighting then I can see it anyway. I could take any man made device and find an imperfection in it which includes my iPad 3, Xoom, iPhone 4S and Razr.

My gripe is the software. My old Xoom is much more reliable then my nexus 10. I feel I have to reboot this thing every time I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

dgr_1983

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I got mine on the 5th of Feb & I've discovered that usb part that connects to the tablet is damaged I think that's why it was taking long to charge hence why battery wasn't lasting.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree, unless you didn't know it was it was a flaw until you were told to look for it. Mine has light bleed when I turn it up to a brightness level to level I don't use, or if I need it that bright due to ambient lighting then I can see it anyway. I could take any man made device and find an imperfection in it which includes my iPad 3, Xoom, iPhone 4S and Razr.

My gripe is the software. My old Xoom is much more reliable then my nexus 10. I feel I have to reboot this thing every time I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
Did the new update not fix the software issues for you?