N7 and N10 Accessories: Why Google won't give you anything other than a cover

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So here is my theory about Google's Nexus devices and the inordinate delay there always is in getting accessories.

Bottomline: Google expects the hardware ecosystem to step in. But they don't.

Apple and its iPods, IPhones and iPads sustain a gazallion people indirectly in the larger ecosystem due to the market for accessories. The one clear way in which Apple trumps Google and in fact indicates why the fragmentation argument against Android devices holds some merit, is that the devices are different across different geographies and time periods. Apple releases the same version of the hardware everywhere, make no mistake about it. Sure there are delays in getting the latest versions out across the world, but an iPad 4th generation is the same iPad anywhere in the world. On the other hand, Google's Nexus devices are a bit all over the place. There was no launch of the Nexus S in East Asia. Galaxy Nexus was launched in Hong Kong for that very reason, but the LTE version for Verizon and the GSM HSPA+ version were slightly different. Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 have had launches now in the western world but the East is still wondering where they are. Maybe Google thinks that there is no worldwide market for Nexus devices and that other places my be more interested in branded machines of a different sort.

The thing is, Google exepcts, like with tablet-optimized apps, for the larger hardware ecosystem to take over and start producing a ton of different things. But this ecosystem never gets sufficiently motivated to do so. As a result, we are left with next to 0 use for the pogo charger on the Galaxy Nexus. That is just appalling. I think Google expected someone else to make something but nobody ever stepped up to the plate.

Sure Google will bring out the smart Cover much the same way that Apple did. But it will wait forever for other accessories and that day will not dawn early.

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Well said, and I agree for the most part. Google's plan, in my opinion, is to solve this problem by establishing a successful core product line, thus making it easier for manufacturers to focus their offerings as they do in the Apple ecosystem. It remains to be seen if this will pay off, but I too would appreciate a larger selection of official accessories in the mean time. The increased focus on wireless tech (NFC, Miracast, etc) has yielded a large crop of device-agnostic products in several categories. When it comes to cases and device-specific extras, Google has little to offer so far.

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Heck, I'm just waiting for that one smart cover, pretty lame how it's not available at the launch of the product. The only thing out there are some cheap one-size-fit-all covers on Amazon and such. They're bulky and ugly. I have my Nexus 10 wrapped all in microfiber cloth and afraid to take it anywhere but my couch.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They'll need to make some of this stuff first. Apple sells an insanely expensive charging cable, so competitors step up to sell something that costs less.
Lead by example, as in selling this stuff there's a huge advantage to going second.

If there was a great case available right this second, someone would be eyeing the money being made and looking to take a bite as quickly as possible before the market gets flooded. Seems like right now, no-one wants to jump in first and be undercut by whoever jumps in second.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
They'll need to make some of this stuff first. Apple sells an insanely expensive charging cable, so competitors step up to sell something that costs less.
Lead by example, as in selling this stuff there's a huge advantage to going second.

If there was a great case available right this second, someone would be eyeing the money being made and looking to take a bite as quickly as possible before the market gets flooded. Seems like right now, no-one wants to jump in first and be undercut by whoever jumps in second.

There are all sorts of accessories available for Apple products. I've seen docks and cases by the dozens and dozens, and there is a wide price range. I completely agree - Google needs to lead by example, and even there we see that a week after launch, there is no word about the case or absolutely anything that will use the pogo charger.

I wonder if the accessory market perceives Android products as value products where customers don't waste money on accessories. I think more fundamentally, nobody wants to invest money in a product which competes within the same Google ecosystem with plenty of other products. If I were Belkin or someone would I think at the moment of making things for the Nexus 10, or the Galaxy Note 10.1 or the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or the Asus machines out there? Where would I ever start and think about recovering any investment I make in design.

Sorry about the rant - I am severely frustrated at the moment by - this whole virtually-no-accessories scene - and I am only looking for a smart cover and something that uses the damned pogo charger.

Jeremy Sarkilahti

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There are three reasons that apple could (can) sit back and let 3rd parties release accessories. the first two are the form factor and dock connector. till the release of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5 those two products (no matter the generation) had essentially the same form factor and until the new connector came out (I forget the name of it right now) all iPads iPhones and iPod touches used the same connector. If you look now for docks, speakers, etc. for the iPhone 5 or iPad mini you won't really find any at the moment. Android products don't have that luxury. we can talk about fragmentation, but the man issue is connectors and form factor. if a company like ihome sold a dock for the nexus 7 it probably wouldn't work with any other tablet because the shape, size and docking connectors would be different. (unless they used the micro USB, which already has some lame docks out) The third reason was size of market, there were few accessories for the iPhone or iPod touch at first but as soon as companies found out that all they had to do to see a butt load of crappy radios was put on a dock connector and make sure the opening was big enough to shove a iPhone they started to churn them out in every color.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Google can only blame itself. Why are we even having these discussions about which pins do what and what they require to go into various data/charging states ?

If Google wanted 3rd parties to produce this stuff, then they would need to publish the hardware capabiilties, APIs, and specs.

Simple.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It should be Asus, Samsung or whoever is making Nexus. They are the ones that Google should push hard. Hell, even chip in for tooling expenses if they are so greedy. Surely it's a lot easier to make a freaking docking station or a nice leather smart cover than the tablet itself. Seriously, if some garage "companies" can crank out iPhone/Pad accessories, so can Asus/Samsung.

This is absolutely unacceptable not to have a Nexus 7 docking station after it's been out for over half a year. It should have been released at the same time!

It's like Chicken/Egg. Aftermarket is afraid to jump in because they think that Asus will release it at any time. Asus is waiting for aftermarket? I mean, I'd be afraid to go ahead and make a Nexus 7 docking station (pay for tooling, etc) if I don't know what Asus is thinking.
I understand the "fragmentation" issue but if the OEM makes their own docking station/cover, then fragmentation is not an issue.

So Fing frustrating! I wish someone could talk some sense into Google!

michaellf

May 21, 2013
Visit site
One thing i do not get

I a time when you have enterprising people with money and time making guns with 3D printers and scanners why cannot someone make a dock for a nexus 10.

If I had the money I would design and make a dock and sell it on ebay

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A lot of good points. It actually can be frustrating trying to find peripherals that don't exist, and seeing so many versions for the iPad out there.

Whether it be Google, or the OEM they contract to make the devices (Samsung in the case of the N10), I really don't see why they don't make more accessories available...I'm pretty sure they'd sell! All you really need is: Case, dock, and pogo charger.

I got a great cover for my N10 on Amazon, and I'm quite happy with it...but it can be hard to shop for 3rd party accessories because you don't always know if you're getting a quality product or a cheap piece of garbage.