Nexus 10 or Chromebook?

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
They can do all of the work they need to do for school with the web apps that are available.

The documents they create with web apps are acceptable at school. For example, do they use Google Apps? I'm assuming they take documents to school on a usb flash drive?

What about a DVD drive do they miss it? Are there any drawbacks for them as students compared to having a laptop?

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the ACER Chromebook for my 12 year old daughter because it runs Netflix right out of the box, unlike the new Samsung Chromebook.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The documents they create with web apps are acceptable at school. For example, do they use Google Apps? I'm assuming they take documents to school on a usb flash drive?

What about a DVD drive do they miss it? Are there any drawbacks for them as students compared to having a laptop?

They use Google Docs. Their school has a web site they save things to & then they access them from the classroom that way. No thumb drive needed. Their school encourages the use of Google Docs since it is free. So no issues there. I have been using Google Docs for 2 years now for all my non work related needs. It was a bit rough at first, but is getting better all the time. On Android, I use QuickOfficePro.

We have a USB DVD drive that I use with my Netbook, it works great for the Chromebooks too. Burns/plays DVD's/CD's perfect.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The Chromebook is a completely useless piece of equipment. Any smartphone or tablet can do everything a Chromebook does and much more. It might just be the most perplexingly useless thing Google has ever done.

That said, if you live in Google Docs and Gmail all day and everything else you need is on the internet and you have a connection 24/7 I guess it would be adequate.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
The Chromebook is a completely useless piece of equipment. Any smartphone or tablet can do everything a Chromebook does and much more. It might just be the most perplexingly useless thing Google has ever done.

That said, if you live in Google Docs and Gmail all day and everything else you need is on the internet and you have a connection 24/7 I guess it would be adequate.

I disagree with you. I prefer my Chromebook to my phone or tablet. And it cost less than any tablet. I actually don't see a use for tablet vs Chromebook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Keith Llewellyn

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Chromebook and it's great. I would only consider the Acer if you think that you may want to install another OS in the future. The Acer has a large HDD.
The Samsung has a solid state drive, is lighter and looks better. I also have a Nexus 7 and the combination is perfect, although I use the N7 almost exclusively. I can connect a scanner to the N7 with a USB cable and print via wifi. When I need a keyboard I either connect a mini Bluetooth keyboard to the N7 or use the Chromebook.
I also have a few other laptops running windows and Ubuntu but prefer the portability of Chromebook and N7.
I hope this helps.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
No Mac filtering set up. No Apples at home and visitors with Apple devices have not mentioned any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
MAC filter is media access code. Every Wi-Fi device has one. It has nothing to do with apple. MAC filtering means only devices that you have registered their MAC address with your router can access it.

It might help if we knew what brand/model router you have.