Nexus 10 or Chromebook?

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I know very little about Chromebooks so have some basic questions.

Is a Chromebook a suitable substitute for a notebook for a young student (4th grade)? I understand they have a hard drive but I'm wondering about applications for word processing and very basic photo editing.

I have a Nexus 7 but, for a child, I think the set up is elusive, such as where files are saved. For example, you often need a file manager app to locate files.

Does the Chromebook have a desktop like standard computers where files can be transferred and saved? Are applications available for it (such as Word or Office), or do you use apps like on a tablet?

Can you word process and use similar programs when you don't have a wifi connection?

We'd like to put off buying a new laptop for now, and the prices of Chromebooks are very attractive. It will be used at home, not brought back and forth to school.

Thank you.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Chromebook is crome on your laptop. with some desktop like abilities.
Everything is web apps and it cannot(some apps are desktop like apps) run traditional desktop apps like in windows and mac.
There are apps you can download for word processing etc and there is also offline mode

with the latest chromebook update i think you have the ability to save and transfer files from chromebook.
have a look at this. you will understand better

Samsung Chromebook (Oct 2012) hands-on for review - YouTube

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
What kind of photo editing?

Something very basic. My daughter uses iPhoto (I think that's what it's called). A program such as Picasa should more than satisfy their needs.

I just want to make sure my grandson can do a little word processing. I see that you can get Open Office at the Chrome Webstore (which I use on my notebook) and will check with the school if that's suitable. I know that he really doesn't word process for school at this time. By the time he's required to do so, we can get a notebook on sale.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've pretty much decided that it will be a chromebook. Now to decide to get the Samsung model ($249) or the $199 Ace. The Acer's 320 GB hard drive should be more than sufficient, and that is has only about a 3 hour battery life should be fine since it will be used mostly at home. I also believe it has an Intel CPU and I've always used the Intel brand which has proven very reliable.

I don't know if there are any other major differences but I'll check out the specs.

I like the look of the Samsung better (color) but have read good things about the Acer. Any thoughts about either?

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The chrome book does not run android, so in that sense it's not a valid comparison. It most certainly is not an Android device with a keyboard instead of a touch screen.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people who buy Chromebooks are going to be very disappointed, as many will (in spite of all of Google's efforts) be expecting a traditional laptop. You're trading a lot of function for portability and low price. For some people that tradeoff may make sense. For most people, I can't see it being a good fit. Much like a tablet isn't a good fit as a primary computer for most people. It takes some considering what you can & can't do, and how it will meet your needs.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
In case it wasn't clear from my post, which I dashed off, the Chromebook cannot run any of the Android apps on the Google Play store.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
For most people, I can't see it being a good fit. Much like a tablet isn't a good fit as a primary computer for most people. It takes some considering what you can & can't do, and how it will meet your needs.

This makes a lot of sense. I was hoping the chromebook would put off the need to buy a notebook. So we'll save our $100-250 and wait until some decent notebooks go on sale. I'm not sure it's the time to buy right now with the new Windows 8 OS, until some of the dust settles down.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've pretty much decided that it will be a chromebook. Now to decide to get the Samsung model ($249) or the $199 Ace. The Acer's 320 GB hard drive should be more than sufficient, and that is has only about a 3 hour battery life should be fine since it will be used mostly at home. I also believe it has an Intel CPU and I've always used the Intel brand which has proven very reliable.

Battery life is now rated 4 hours, C7 will get an update when you first power it up and improved battery life is one of the benefits from the update. Overall pleased with my C7.

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
4th grade and she 'needs' a laptop?

My kids have used the family computer to do their homework until they were in high school then we bought them a laptop for Christmas. Daughter's is 2 years old Toshiba AMD. Upgraded the memory this year from 3 to 8Gig and it is still very responsive. Does all she needs and will for a few years now. I paid $350 for it.

Son is getting a Samsung AMD laptop this Christmas. I expect it to last him through HS and some college also.. $360 for his.

Both are Windows 7 machines. They can do all that the Chromebook can and a whole lot more (like itunes).

My opinion - get her something else and save the laptop for a few years as long as she has a PC available at home to use.

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To me it seems like all you need is the Acer since it is almost the same but $50 less. Of course this is going with the thought that you are probably going to buy another laptop like a windows 8 touchscreen later in the year. Chromebooks are nice if you are mainly on the internet and like using Google drive. I am looking to buy one around June/July to mainly hook up to my TV and watch Hulu, Netflix, CBS and other streaming television using the HDMI output. But please let us know your thoughts after you buy it of whether you think it was the right purchase.

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a CR48 and a chromebox (like a mac mini) to complement my big W7 Desktop. I have a lower end latop ($500 acer) that I use for non chromebook stuff. I really prefer the portability and battery of the chromebook to the acer.

I have a xoom (10.1) N7 and a smartphone.

I would definitely buy one of the newer chromebooks (prob go with samsung) over a nexus 10.

Picassa web suite is more than capable of photo needs and other web editors will be able to do anything a 4th grader needs.

(I love my 10.1 tablet, but would still advise a new chromebook)

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say I've had my Chromebook a couple weeks now, and I love it. Even putting it through the paces, I managed 7 hours on battery. It is perfect for meetings, out for when I want to kick back at home and use a second (OK, fourth) screen. The best $500 I've spent this year have been my N7 and Chromebook.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
After using the Chromebook at the store both our teenage daughter and son decided that is what they wanted instead of a laptop. So we bought 2 of the Samsung Chromebooks about 4 weeks ago. They have been extremely happy with them. They can do all of the work they need to do for school with the web apps that are available. The vast majority of everything that they do is web based anyway. We have a desktop if they absolutely have to use something on it. But neither of them have used anything but their Chromebooks since they got them.

Picasa works great as a photo editor. They can also do just about anything offline as long as the file was saved on the hard drive. They regularly get 8 hours of battery life with moderate usage. For $249 you really can't go wrong. I would suggest you try one out at Bestbuy before you purchase if you are on the fence. I prefer the fanless design of the Samsung, but the Acers Intel based design is better for tinkering with the OS as noted in a few reviews. I did not want my kids to have that option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670