Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Husker Z
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What do the multiple screen icons do?

Next to the home button on the right is the multiple screen icon that shows all the open apps
    When I click on it, I have allot of open apps
    Is it bad that they are all always open like that
    Do they use system resources? Killing the battery life?
    Thanks for your help

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Default Re: What do the multiple screen icons do?

I have read over and over again that closing apps only has them start back up again and this causes more resources being used. I wouldn't worry about them being open...I think android is designed to have a lot open...can anyone explain it better? I would like to know why :-)

ROM
    Something Jelly

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    I have read over and over again that closing apps only has them start back up again and this causes more resources being used. I wouldn't worry about them being open...I think android is designed to have a lot open...can anyone explain it better? I would like to know why :-)
    I think you provided a pretty good answer. I wouldn't say "android is designed to have a lot open," as much as android is designed to kill applications running in the background when it needs to. So everyone's advice is to not worry about killing applications yourself and let the OS take care of it for you. The button OP is asking about is simply designed as an easy way to jump from application to application. It's a very handy feature that I often forget to use like I should.

Like I said, I think you pretty much nailed it, but I'm sure someone could give an even moe technical explanation if you'd like.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    not true always. if an app is a service like windows service then it would open again but if its a normal app then it would close when you close it.

example of such apps are app locker/pulse news/ maps etc. they are designed to be always running.
    most of the apps will close when you close it.

commenting on original question. nexus 10 has 2 Gb ram and a powerful processor so it would still be faster with many apps opened but if there is a lot of apps i would close it just to release some memory.
    Thanked by:
    atg284 

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Thanks for the input!

I was a windows mobile phone user before I made the leap o android. I would have to shut running programs down just to make the thing work :o

It took me a while to figure out I don't need to do the same on android. I very rarely shut down apps now but I do its when I think a certain one is "acting up". Its nice to not have to worry about it.

Oh yeah your right! Especially with the 2 GB ram! This tablet is a beast..can't wait!

ROM
    Mean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by clarker07 View Post
    I think you provided a pretty good answer. I wouldn't say "android is designed to have a lot open," as much as android is designed to kill applications running in the background when it needs to. So everyone's advice is to not worry about killing applications yourself and let the OS take care of it for you. The button OP is asking about is simply designed as an easy way to jump from application to application. It's a very handy feature that I often forget to use like I should.

Like I said, I think you pretty much nailed it, but I'm sure someone could give an even moe technical explanation if you'd like.
    Love your avatar of Big Suh after plowing over Hawkins! One of the best finishes in Husker history, even if it was just a regular season game against sCUm.
    clarker07 likes this.