What do the multiple screen icons do?

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Next to the home button on the right is the multiple screen icon that shows all the open apps
When I click on it, I have allot of open apps
Is it bad that they are all always open like that
Do they use system resources? Killing the battery life?
Thanks for your help

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have read over and over again that closing apps only has them start back up again and this causes more resources being used. I wouldn't worry about them being open...I think android is designed to have a lot open...can anyone explain it better? I would like to know why :)

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I have read over and over again that closing apps only has them start back up again and this causes more resources being used. I wouldn't worry about them being open...I think android is designed to have a lot open...can anyone explain it better? I would like to know why :)

I think you provided a pretty good answer. I wouldn't say "android is designed to have a lot open," as much as android is designed to kill applications running in the background when it needs to. So everyone's advice is to not worry about killing applications yourself and let the OS take care of it for you. The button OP is asking about is simply designed as an easy way to jump from application to application. It's a very handy feature that I often forget to use like I should.

Like I said, I think you pretty much nailed it, but I'm sure someone could give an even moe technical explanation if you'd like.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

not true always. if an app is a service like windows service then it would open again but if its a normal app then it would close when you close it.

example of such apps are app locker/pulse news/ maps etc. they are designed to be always running.
most of the apps will close when you close it.

commenting on original question. nexus 10 has 2 Gb ram and a powerful processor so it would still be faster with many apps opened but if there is a lot of apps i would close it just to release some memory.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input!

I was a windows mobile phone user before I made the leap o android. I would have to shut running programs down just to make the thing work :eek:

It took me a while to figure out I don't need to do the same on android. I very rarely shut down apps now but I do its when I think a certain one is "acting up". Its nice to not have to worry about it.

Oh yeah your right! Especially with the 2 GB ram! This tablet is a beast..can't wait!

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you provided a pretty good answer. I wouldn't say "android is designed to have a lot open," as much as android is designed to kill applications running in the background when it needs to. So everyone's advice is to not worry about killing applications yourself and let the OS take care of it for you. The button OP is asking about is simply designed as an easy way to jump from application to application. It's a very handy feature that I often forget to use like I should.

Like I said, I think you pretty much nailed it, but I'm sure someone could give an even moe technical explanation if you'd like.

Love your avatar of Big Suh after plowing over Hawkins! One of the best finishes in Husker history, even if it was just a regular season game against sCUm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1