Anyone with the playpad?

samiam2714

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just got the Nyko Playpad today and I have been trying to figure out how to get it to pair properly with my Nexus 10 for a few hours now. It works brilliantly with my phone but the tablet is not working so well. Anyone else having trouble too or a solution?

It pairs with my phone much like any other bluetooth device, but the paired says its successful on the N10 and it doesn't pick it up properly. Now it says it sees the controller but its off and it shouldn't be in the pairing menu.

sethpcs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine just picked up a playpad pro, which pairs/functions the same way. We had the same issue, it pairs successfully with my N10, but does not actually connect after that. After doing a bit of goolglin', it looks like the 4.2.1 system update that was just released addresses some BT issues. That update may allow the N10 to pair and connect to the playpad successfully. I am on a custom ROM, so I won't be updating until the developer incorporates the 4.2.1 update (which should be tonight). If you are stock, you can check for the 4.2.1 update manually by going to Settings --> About tablet --> System Updates, then click "check now".

Let me know how it goes.

AnomalousBit

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the 4.2.1 update installed on my Nexus 10 (stock rom), and just purchased the Nyko Playpad Pro today. I actually made them open the box at gamestop and ensure that the device would work before I left the store... which it did fine. Lo and behold it has not worked since. I have tried pairing the controller using the basic android bluetooth settings, as well as trying to pair / sync the controller with Nyko's Playground app... both appear to "pair" the controller only to leave the controller in a slow blinking state without actually ever connecting. I know the controller works great, as it syncs perfectly with my Galaxy S3. Any suggestions? Thoughts? News?

Last edited:

belsunce

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having the EXACT same issue with my nexus 7.
got the playpad pro today, worked great with DEAD TRIGGER, GBA emulator, SNES emulator. then I wanted to create a new profile for GTA3 so I downloaded the playground app and now I can't connect AT ALL. tried on my iPad, synched fine, was able to play a game in iCade mode. completely unable to pair with my nexus 7.

uninstalled playground app, rebooted, you name it, no luck. if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
thanks!

belsunce

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just did a factory reset (URGH) and now I can pair my controller.

I would advise anyone with a Nexus tablet NOT to download the playground app for now; that seems to be what broke it for me. I'll confirm that everything is back to normal once I've re-installed everything and played with it for a bit. stay tuned

AnomalousBit

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My playpad pro stopped working after the first sync, I only installed nyko playground out of desperation that it might then work. Belsunce, when you did a factory reset did it set your android os back to something less than version 4.2? Also, have you turned Bluetooth off or tried to resync the controller since you got it working? I may have to do a reset myself... ::facepalm:: Thanks for your help!

belsunce

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
when I did factory reset, it reverted back to 4.2.1. I haven't turned bluetooth off since I got it working again and honestly I don't really want to lol. the controller has shut off from inactivity while I was reconfiguring everything (my app and widgets layout) but it turned back on just fine.

one thing (that may seem obvious but that I totally didn't think of) is, take note of whatever your login info is for stuff like DEAD TRIGGER if you play that. I had a sweet save file (backed up regularly on cloud) with a lot of maxed out weapons, items and what not (been playing a LOT for the past two weeks) and since I couldn't remember what my login info was (neither user nor pw), I wasn't able to log back on and had to start over from scratch. first world problems, I know, but most disappointing nonetheless

so ya, if you factory reset, make sure you make a note of everything you need to remember.

good luck!

samiam2714

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

hamlaser

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset which allowed me to connect once again however, once I disconnected the playpad, I was back where I started and could not connect. I fixed this by renaming the playpad and then disconnecting it. After reconnecting I was again able to use it. I believe this may be possible without a factory reset.

hamlaser

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it is all of the sudden back to its problems again and I cannot figure out how to get it to pair. I have no problems with this controller on any other device...

*I got it to work again placing it into APP mode and pairing it as a keyboard and then switching it back to gamepad*

brycewat

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Had same issues as all of you - very strange bluetooth behavior - not to mention when you finally DO get it paired you cant even use it for most 1st person shooters. It was pretty slick for emulation but thats about it. But again, reconnecting the device is a crapshoot. Luckily the guy at gamestop let me take mines back - even though i did not have a package or receipt - He just knew that I was a regular customer based on my trade in credit amount so he gave me a full refund. I got a moga and will let y'all know if that fairs any better. I really hope it does because the playpad's lack of support and frustrating issues are a real bummer. I hope ONE BRAND (any brand) is successful at marketing itself enough to get industry buy-in and support. Android is far too old for controller/peripheral support to be so immature.

brycewat

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I should add that he was nice enough to look up the purchase on his POS system and reprinted a receipt for me - you may try asking them to do that, but I have a feeling he was just being nice since I explained how long I waited for this thing only to have the dates pushed back over and over - and then long after I got it to work it suddenly stopped working and has been wonky ever since. Just be really polite and dont expect anything. They can help ya out if you are cool about it.

ultrrairon

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 running 4.2.1 and my playpad pro worked the first 2 times but then it stopped communicating with my tablet I did install the playground app but I really don't want to factory reset is there anything I can do

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
The Play pad software is just unfunctional most of the time.
I tried it, and its a good controller, but if it has bad-software, the selling-point for me, it just isn't worth it.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692