Would this tablet be able to handle?

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I am looking for a tablet that would be able to handle media streaming for more than 3 hours a day. Basically it would be ported out through HDMI into my HDTV and would be streaming Netflix all day. Can this tablet handle that or would it get hot and frames start to slow after a while? I was thinking about buying a cheap desktop from a black friday deal and use it as a htpc but I would rather invest in a tablet if it can handle the same stress put upon it.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a tablet that would be able to handle media streaming for more than 3 hours a day. Basically it would be ported out through HDMI into my HDTV and would be streaming Netflix all day. Can this tablet handle that or would it get hot and frames start to slow after a while? I was thinking about buying a cheap desktop from a black friday deal and use it as a htpc but I would rather invest in a tablet if it can handle the same stress put upon it.

Can't stream Netflix via a mobile device anymore. There might be a root option, if so the N10 has the battery power to support it.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I guess I was confused. Maybe its HBO Go that doesn't allow HDMI mirroring.

Edit : yeah I had it backwards, Netflix works fine.

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Would you say it can handle streaming all day? (8+ hours) and would the frames still be fine after? (talking about the slow motion effect hot laptops get)

Also, which is the stronger tablet (regardless of size), the Nexus 10 or Nexus 7? I noticed that the Nexus 10 is a dual core w/ 2gb ram and Nexus 7 is a quad core with 1gb ram (Sorry I am a noob). I was watching the Verge review and they mentioned something about how the 10 has to push more pixels. I plan on using this for media so I am debating which would perform better, 10 or 7. The whole pushing more pixels things makes me think that the Nexus 10 may be overworking itself for what I want to buy it for?

Last edited:

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Would you say it can handle streaming all day? (8+ hours) and would the frames still be fine after? (talking about the slow motion effect hot laptops get)

Also, which is the stronger tablet (regardless of size), the Nexus 10 or Nexus 7? I noticed that the Nexus 10 is a dual core w/ 2gb ram and Nexus 7 is a quad core with 1gb ram (Sorry I am a noob). I was watching the Verge review and they mentioned something about how the 10 has to push more pixels. I plan on using this for media so I am debating which would perform better, 10 or 7. The whole pushing more pixels things makes me think that the Nexus 10 may be overworking itself for what I want to buy it for?

Anyone?

miiike

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know the N7 cannot mirror it's display until (if it ever does) Miracast comes out for it.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
if you plan to use it on TV.... why don't you just connect N10 to charger while playing netflix? :pthis wya you don't need to care about battery

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
if you plan to use it on TV.... why don't you just connect N10 to charger while playing netflix? :pthis wya you don't need to care about battery

Sorry for the miscommunication. I don't have a problem with battery life, not a concern to me actually. I am scared about the handling power of the tablet most. Since I am going to be porting it out to a TV and the tablet screen itself already requires alot of power to push the pixels, I was scared that the Nexus wont be able to handle the daily use of playing videos all day. I guess I shouldn't compare but I have a semi-old laptop and frames would drop considerably after an hour or two of watching videos. The movies would play fine for the first two hours but any action scene that takes place after that it would lag considerably.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the miscommunication. I don't have a problem with battery life, not a concern to me actually. I am scared about the handling power of the tablet most. Since I am going to be porting it out to a TV and the tablet screen itself already requires alot of power to push the pixels, I was scared that the Nexus wont be able to handle the daily use of playing videos all day. I guess I shouldn't compare but I have a semi-old laptop and frames would drop considerably after an hour or two of watching videos. The movies would play fine for the first two hours but any action scene that takes place after that it would lag considerably.

It will be fine. I just got done playing an emulator (Mario 64) for a couple hours then streamed the movie the fifth element while mirroring to my HDTV. It never skipped a beat.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
it will run fine.. I didnt see a lot answering that question. n10 processor is at least 2 times better than N7's

even though it is dual core it is faster because of the architecture used. it can handle it very well.

brandonyoung

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I haven't tried using the HDMI out for a long period of time, but I have watched plenty of streaming video on the tablet itself without issue. Assuming you have root access, I suggest getting the Screen Standby app. This lets you turn off the tablet screen while you play the video through the HDMI port. Most of the power used by the tablet (and I assume a cause of heat) is the screen. So I would think turning the screen off while playing would help if there were any issues.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fob2FuZy5zY3JlZW5zdGFuZGJ5Il0&token=ROJHiYmH.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't have anything to worry about. I have routniely watched Netflix hooked to HDMI for long periods of time with all my android devices (well, not the N7... grrr...) and there's no worry about the device holding up. If it makes you feel better, turn the screen backlighting all the way down on the device. It will make the tablet run a little cooler.

The bigger issue is that the playback quality of the streams available to android devices is of lower quality than the streams sent to other devices. Honestly, if the thing is mostly going to be used for Netflix playback, get a $50 Roku box instead. The experience will be a lot higher. If you don't want a box sitting by your TV all day, get one of these: Roku Streaming Stick | Roku Streaming Player

-Suntan

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
We just used my N10 to watch 3 Netflix movies in a row last night while connected via HDMI to my 55 inch TV. Flawless playback the entire time. Used about 70% of my battery to do it. I regularly use my Droid4 in the Motorola HD Dock to do this but wanted to try the N10.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy