Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Nexus 10 Shuts Down when I Connect/Disconnect Charger

As I mentioned a couple of posts up, my N10 was doing this EVERY time I plugged and unplugged. I received the 4.2.2 update and it appeared to fix this for a day. I plugged/unplugged about a dozen times after the update and had no shut downs. Then, it started happening again. It's not nearly as bad, but it's still happening.

Nuts!

I'm on my second N10; the first was returned due to the shutdown issue when plugging/unplugging the charger, reporting a low battery condition. I first noticed the problems after the v4.2.1 update. The replacement N10 usually shuts down when I plug it in -- if not, it'll shut down when I unplug it. It seems to behave itself when the battery is at 100%, however.

I was counting on v4.2.2 to solve this problem, so I'm bummed. My upgrade hasn't arrived yet but when it does, I'll check to see if things improve.

It's really frustrating. What are the chances that the replacement N10 has the same problem as the original? Both are unrooted, stock units.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Zimmerman View Post
    What are the chances that the replacement N10 has the same problem as the original? Both are unrooted, stock units.
    It is more likely neither had/have problems and it is software related. But it is hard to know. You might find out pretty soon, though (since you should have the update soon).

As for you and ShanMan14, you both still have to do a factory reset as part of your troubleshooting (if you have not done so already). Then use it for a while WITHOUT LOADING APPS, then load them back slowly, maybe one per day (or less). It is a pain, but the only way to rule out "software" problems.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I installed v4.2.2 tonight and I have reason to be hopeful. I plugged and unplugged the charger a number of times (with the battery as low as 65%) without a shutdown. That never happened before with v4.2.1.

So far, I'm delighted -- but it's only been a few hours so the jury is still out.

I got a good day without the problem on 4.2.2, but then it came right back. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me.

I don't know if this will help, but it seemed to work for me. I had charged the Nexus 10 overnight, and then it began to fade out after 10 seconds or so of inactivity. BUT, I found that I had "unchecked" all times in the Settings>Display>Sleep category, erroneously thinking it would make it stay ON all the time. Wrong - it made it shut off. So, try checking at least one time. I've got mine on 30 mins now, and it seems to be ok. Good Luck!

I've had my N10 for a week and this is the same thing that's happening to me. Regardless of being plugged in or not, in sleep state or during a game, it powers down on its own. From the streams I'm reading, I'm not the only one with this issue. As long as it continues to turn back on, I'll keep it and hope they come up with a fix soon. Thanks, Xertion3 for looking into this. Its been a big help.

Hey guys,
    I opened my boxed Nexus 10 and found one problem. When I press the power button, Nexus goes to sleep and shuts down. To turn it on, I have to put the tab in portrait mode and long press the power button. This is contradicting to the Nexus 7 which just shuts off the screen on press of power button and switches it back on when power button is pressed.
    I had called up Google helpline and they said that this is the common problem with all Nexus 10 people. He also said that Samsung has designed it that way.
    Are you guys facing any such problems?

Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rohanrar View Post
    Hey guys,
    I opened my boxed Nexus 10 and found one problem. When I press the power button, Nexus goes to sleep and shuts down. To turn it on, I have to put the tab in portrait mode and long press the power button. This is contradicting to the Nexus 7 which just shuts off the screen on press of power button and switches it back on when power button is pressed.
    I had called up Google helpline and they said that this is the common problem with all Nexus 10 people. He also said that Samsung has designed it that way.
    Are you guys facing any such problems?
    I don't know what that guy at Google is talking about. Pressing the power button turns off the screen. It doesn't matter which orientation it is when you press it. It should never shut down unless you press and HOLD the power button, or choose a shutdown option elsewhere. If you tablet is brand new, it might have a low battery and need several hours of charging first.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I don't know what that guy at Google is talking about. Pressing the power button turns off the screen. It doesn't matter which orientation it is when you press it. It should never shut down unless you press and HOLD the power button, or choose a shutdown option elsewhere. If you tablet is brand new, it might have a low battery and need several hours of charging first.
    Thanks! But the problem still persists
    I charged it completely and tried to press the power button. It turns off the screen. That's fine. Now if I again press the button within 1 min it turns on the screen asking me to unlock it. But, if I press it after sometime, it reboots. Also, I have kept the sleep timeout to 30mins. Can you figure out the problem? Should I do a factory reset? Will it help?

there is nothing to be lost by doing a factory reset[equipment wise, be sure to back up your photos etc]. I would try that and if the problem persists, call back and speak to another rep because that is not normal or the way it is designed.

I think your rep was confusing the volume rocker "issue" with your problem [ when holding the N10 in portrait mode with the power buttonat the top of the device pressing the volume rocker down increases the volume, pressing it up decreases the volume.].
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Quote Originally Posted by rohanrar View Post
    Thanks! But the problem still persists
    I charged it completely and tried to press the power button. It turns off the screen. That's fine. Now if I again press the button within 1 min it turns on the screen asking me to unlock it. But, if I press it after sometime, it reboots. Also, I have kept the sleep timeout to 30mins. Can you figure out the problem? Should I do a factory reset? Will it help?
    Screen orientation or changing the sleep timeout shouldn't affect the operation of the power button. The only way my Nexus will reboot is if I continue to hold the power button through the 'power off/airplane mode' popup.

I'd have another chat with Google support. If you still can't find a fix, have them send you a replacement under the warrantee. Actually, they're pretty good about that.

Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    there is nothing to be lost by doing a factory reset.
    +1

Then if it still does it, you have a broken unit.

my nexus 10 never does that but is very slow at charging please tell me how to fix

Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nexus dude View Post
    my nexus 10 never does that but is very slow at charging please tell me how to fix
    Use the included charger. It will take about 6+ hours if fully drained.

I'm experiencing the random shutdown as well. The frequency is not that high; I've had it for just over a week and it's happened three times, and then only when unplugging the charger never when plugging it in.

Same thing here.. Just got a new one 2 weeks ago. 1. Battery doesn't report the proper remaining percentage almost all the time. 2. Unplug the charger, it shuts down, plug in the charger, it shuts down. It's already been RMA'd once because it arrived with an open box, so I'm I prefer not to RMA again if it's a software bug that they can/will release a fix for.... however I've noticed that the issue goes back to at least last October, that seems like ample enough time to solve the bug. Anyone have some updated news from google on the issue(s)?

Contacted google support, got the standard, reset to factory defaults (i'm skeptical it will make any difference). If it doesn't work they'll generate an RMA. If they RMA every tablet that does this they must be going through tons of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by hobb3s View Post
    Contacted google support, got the standard, reset to factory defaults (i'm skeptical it will make any difference). If it doesn't work they'll generate an RMA. If they RMA every tablet that does this they must be going through tons of hardware.

Wonder what happens to the refurbs? Will they give them to woot for a woot off? If they had them at a decent price my son would probably buy one and be happy to deal with it being a refurb.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

I've only had my bought used Nexus 10 for a week or so but it has the same problem. I bought a pogo charger for it, which just arrived today. It doesn't seem to do it, at least at first. Will be extremely happy if it stays that way.

You bought a used Nexus? I would be concerned buying any used device that hasn't yet passed the 1 year warenty mark.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

You bought a used Nexus? I would be concerned buying any used device that hasn't yet passed the 1 year warenty mark.
    Why? Wouldn't you want the warranty to still be in affect?

not if the warenty is non-transferable. I was under the impression this is the case with the Nexus 10 Warenty
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

not if the warenty is non-transferable. I was under the impression this is the case with the Nexus 10 Warenty
    I have to be honest, I didn't check into that but will now.

P. S. It does say "original purchaser" which means they don't have to honor the warranty. The person I bought it from (I know his address and phone number) and I did speak about helping each other out if we had any issues. He got my BlackBerry Z10 and I his Nexus 10. Not really worried.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 06-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Zimmerman View Post
    I installed v4.2.2 tonight and I have reason to be hopeful. I plugged and unplugged the charger a number of times (with the battery as low as 65%) without a shutdown. That never happened before with v4.2.1.

So far, I'm delighted -- but it's only been a few hours so the jury is still out.
    The 4.2.2 update failed to solve my shutdown problem.

But I think it may have been solved on one of the 4.3 updates. I've not seen it happen in a couple of months and almost forgot about the problem. Today, at only 14% battery, I plugged it in and pulled the plug multiple times without issue.

Is anyone else running 4.3 still having the shutdown problem with their N10?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast