Nexus 10 Shuts Down when I Connect/Disconnect Charger

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I received the new (replacement) Nexus 10 on Friday and the problem with shutdown while connecting/disconnecting the charger is gone. The sleep button press response is also steady and quick. The battery itself is holding up long as usual. I am using the tablet so much more than before.

Glad to hear your problem was solved!

denver don

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem in that every time I unplugged or plugged the tablet into the wall outlet - the tablet powered down. It turns out I can plug my tablet directly into my PC and it charges and does not power down when unplugging or plugging. They are sending me a new will adapter to see if that is the problem.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine has started doing this, now, almost every time. The battery monitor almost always reads incorrectly now as well. I haven't done a factory reset, ever. I'm considering going through that hassle now.

dberthia

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset and it didn't solve the problem, so don't get your hopes up. I thought charging with a POGO cable would help, but that was useless as well.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned a couple of posts up, my N10 was doing this EVERY time I plugged and unplugged. I received the 4.2.2 update and it appeared to fix this for a day. I plugged/unplugged about a dozen times after the update and had no shut downs. Then, it started happening again. It's not nearly as bad, but it's still happening.

Roy Zimmerman

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Nuts!

I'm on my second N10; the first was returned due to the shutdown issue when plugging/unplugging the charger, reporting a low battery condition. I first noticed the problems after the v4.2.1 update. The replacement N10 usually shuts down when I plug it in -- if not, it'll shut down when I unplug it. It seems to behave itself when the battery is at 100%, however.

I was counting on v4.2.2 to solve this problem, so I'm bummed. My upgrade hasn't arrived yet but when it does, I'll check to see if things improve.

It's really frustrating. What are the chances that the replacement N10 has the same problem as the original? Both are unrooted, stock units.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
What are the chances that the replacement N10 has the same problem as the original? Both are unrooted, stock units.

It is more likely neither had/have problems and it is software related. But it is hard to know. You might find out pretty soon, though (since you should have the update soon).

As for you and ShanMan14, you both still have to do a factory reset as part of your troubleshooting (if you have not done so already). Then use it for a while WITHOUT LOADING APPS, then load them back slowly, maybe one per day (or less). It is a pain, but the only way to rule out "software" problems.

Roy Zimmerman

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed v4.2.2 tonight and I have reason to be hopeful. I plugged and unplugged the charger a number of times (with the battery as low as 65%) without a shutdown. That never happened before with v4.2.1.

So far, I'm delighted -- but it's only been a few hours so the jury is still out.

RNYDYS

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this will help, but it seemed to work for me. I had charged the Nexus 10 overnight, and then it began to fade out after 10 seconds or so of inactivity. BUT, I found that I had "unchecked" all times in the Settings>Display>Sleep category, erroneously thinking it would make it stay ON all the time. Wrong - it made it shut off. So, try checking at least one time. I've got mine on 30 mins now, and it seems to be ok. Good Luck!

Fairiemom

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had my N10 for a week and this is the same thing that's happening to me. Regardless of being plugged in or not, in sleep state or during a game, it powers down on its own. From the streams I'm reading, I'm not the only one with this issue. As long as it continues to turn back on, I'll keep it and hope they come up with a fix soon. Thanks, Xertion3 for looking into this. Its been a big help.

rohanrar

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
I opened my boxed Nexus 10 and found one problem. When I press the power button, Nexus goes to sleep and shuts down. To turn it on, I have to put the tab in portrait mode and long press the power button. This is contradicting to the Nexus 7 which just shuts off the screen on press of power button and switches it back on when power button is pressed.
I had called up Google helpline and they said that this is the common problem with all Nexus 10 people. He also said that Samsung has designed it that way.
Are you guys facing any such problems?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
I opened my boxed Nexus 10 and found one problem. When I press the power button, Nexus goes to sleep and shuts down. To turn it on, I have to put the tab in portrait mode and long press the power button. This is contradicting to the Nexus 7 which just shuts off the screen on press of power button and switches it back on when power button is pressed.
I had called up Google helpline and they said that this is the common problem with all Nexus 10 people. He also said that Samsung has designed it that way.
Are you guys facing any such problems?

I don't know what that guy at Google is talking about. Pressing the power button turns off the screen. It doesn't matter which orientation it is when you press it. It should never shut down unless you press and HOLD the power button, or choose a shutdown option elsewhere. If you tablet is brand new, it might have a low battery and need several hours of charging first.

rohanrar

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what that guy at Google is talking about. Pressing the power button turns off the screen. It doesn't matter which orientation it is when you press it. It should never shut down unless you press and HOLD the power button, or choose a shutdown option elsewhere. If you tablet is brand new, it might have a low battery and need several hours of charging first.

Thanks! But the problem still persists :confused:
I charged it completely and tried to press the power button. It turns off the screen. That's fine. Now if I again press the button within 1 min it turns on the screen asking me to unlock it. But, if I press it after sometime, it reboots. Also, I have kept the sleep timeout to 30mins. Can you figure out the problem? Should I do a factory reset? Will it help?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
there is nothing to be lost by doing a factory reset[equipment wise, be sure to back up your photos etc]. I would try that and if the problem persists, call back and speak to another rep because that is not normal or the way it is designed.

I think your rep was confusing the volume rocker "issue" with your problem [ when holding the N10 in portrait mode with the power buttonat the top of the device pressing the volume rocker down increases the volume, pressing it up decreases the volume.].

Roy Zimmerman

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! But the problem still persists :confused:
I charged it completely and tried to press the power button. It turns off the screen. That's fine. Now if I again press the button within 1 min it turns on the screen asking me to unlock it. But, if I press it after sometime, it reboots. Also, I have kept the sleep timeout to 30mins. Can you figure out the problem? Should I do a factory reset? Will it help?

Screen orientation or changing the sleep timeout shouldn't affect the operation of the power button. The only way my Nexus will reboot is if I continue to hold the power button through the 'power off/airplane mode' popup.

I'd have another chat with Google support. If you still can't find a fix, have them send you a replacement under the warrantee. Actually, they're pretty good about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC