Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 10 Shuts Down when I Connect/Disconnect Charger

I received my Nexus 10 a week ago and every time I connect the charger to the device, it shuts down. Also when I remove the charger after overnight charging, it shuts down. I have had other android devices (phones - not on JB) and do not recall any setting or anything. Is anyone facing the same issue?

I am also having trouble with the tablet responding to the power button, the screen comes on either late or after pressing the button 2-3 times (wake up from sleep)

AJ

Default Re: Nexus 10 Shuts Down when I Connect/Disconnect Charger

Hmm, that sounds very odd. If it's not a hardware issue, maybe a factory reset would take care of it. I would at least try that first. Otherwise you might need to exchange it.
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7
    Nexus 10
    Nexus Q
    Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
    Logitech Revue
    Chromecast
    http://www.arkandroid.com
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I will give the factory reset a try. Yesterday, the N10 stayed on when I connected the charger (it was at around 60% batter left at that time). Then I removed the charger this morning after overnight charging and again the same thing "Shutting Down".

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ecaggiani View Post
    Hmm, that sounds very odd. If it's not a hardware issue, maybe a factory reset would take care of it. I would at least try that first. Otherwise you might need to exchange it.

This has happened to me twice now, most recently about two minutes ago. The battery indicator shows red and can't stop it or do anything. I believe this is a software bug and the way the battery is reporting is state to the OS. It sees the battery as dead and shuts down as its designed to do. Why unplugging this induces that behavior is odd. I'm going to turn it on next time and look before unplugging.

When I play Need For Speed and exit, the battery meter never reports accurately again until I reboot.

Some weird battery stuff.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I am not alone then. An hour ago, I switched on the tablet, checked the 60% remaining battery, put it back to sleep and plugged in the charger. And same thing - "Shutting Down". I also noticed that the battery indicator displayed the 'empty red' status.

Not sure what to do. I have 6 more days to the 15 day return window. I don't want to return, but this is just too annoying a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanMan14 View Post
    This has happened to me twice now, most recently about two minutes ago. The battery indicator shows red and can't stop it or do anything. I believe this is a software bug and the way the battery is reporting is state to the OS. It sees the battery as dead and shuts down as its designed to do. Why unplugging this induces that behavior is odd. I'm going to turn it on next time and look before unplugging.

When I play Need For Speed and exit, the battery meter never reports accurately again until I reboot.

Some weird battery stuff.

Did you try the factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Not yet. Because once I do that, it would take a while to get all the content sync-ed up back again. Planning to give that a try over the weekend and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Xertion3 View Post
    Did you try the factory reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Ankur Jaiswal View Post
    Not yet. Because once I do that, it would take a while to get all the content sync-ed up back again. Planning to give that a try over the weekend and report back.
    Well I had the same issue and did a factory reset this morning. Played need for speed for a few hours and I am currently charging. The real test will be once I've left it charging overnight. I'll report back in the morning or once the nexus is fully charged.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Much appreciated. I would eagerly wait to hear the results from you test.

Well I had the same issue and did a factory reset this morning. Played need for speed for a few hours and I am currently charging. The real test will be once I've left it charging overnight. I'll report back in the morning or once the nexus is fully charged.

Much appreciated. I would eagerly wait to hear the results from you test.
    Didn't work. Frustrating!

Just spoke to Google about this issue of the device powering down after the charging. At the end of a puzzling conversation I am told that they "google" is aware of the issue and have received a lot of complaints lately. The weird thing was that he said "hopefully" they will release a software update soon to fix it. Additionally the technical staff rep indicated that Google is still looking into the matter, which leads me to believe that soon will not be soon enough. However, even though the powering down is inconvenient, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'll just power down before I leave it overnight. Let's hope Google holds to their promise with a hot fix soon.

Thanked by:
    Fairiemom likes this.

Having the same issue here. Thanks for checking on this and reporting the status. It's nothing I can't live with while they're working on a fix.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thank you for following through on this. I love my N10 and Android enough to not return the tablet. Let's hope that Google comes back with a fix for the problem soon.

AJ

Just spoke to Google about this issue of the device powering down after the charging. At the end of a puzzling conversation I am told that they "google" is aware of the issue and have received a lot of complaints lately. The weird thing was that he said "hopefully" they will release a software update soon to fix it. Additionally the technical staff rep indicated that Google is still looking into the matter, which leads me to believe that soon will not be soon enough. However, even though the powering down is inconvenient, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'll just power down before I leave it overnight. Let's hope Google holds to their promise with a hot fix soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a site where I can report issues with Google devices? I think the more people report issues, the faster the issues would get resolved.

Thank you for following through on this. I love my N10 and Android enough to not return the tablet. Let's hope that Google comes back with a fix for the problem soon.

AJ

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a site where I can report issues with Google devices? I think the more people report issues, the faster the issues would get resolved.
    I went to Google Play through the web browser, then "contact us" to reach out to customer support.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Mine shuts off after the screen has been blank for awhile. In the two weeks I have owned it, it has shut down 7 or 8 times for no reason. It does not matter if the charger is attached or not, it has done it both on and off the charger. I was wondering if it had some weird time out setting that I wasn't aware of....?

Exclamation Re: Nexus 10 Shuts Down when I Connect/Disconnect Charger

There is an issue for sure, my charger is faulty as it doesn't charge my N10. When I used my Samsung Galaxy phone charger its working. I called up Google, they said return the entire Box back, bizzzzarre!. I told them can't you ship the Charger and I can return that only, those nuts are saying nope, entire box with N10+Charger...
    Is anyone facing the same issue..?any solutions
    It's been 2 days still not heard from them about the return process.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I continue to face the (extremely frustrating) automatic shutdown problem with my Nexus 10. I have had mine for around 20 days or so now.

I am planing to call the google helpdesk to find out if a fix is in the works, else am likely to return mine.

Well, I had a good run. Mine hadn't done this weird plug/unplug thing for three weeks until just now. I woke it up, unlocked and then plugged in the power: shutdown initiated.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

My patience finally ran out. I called the Nexus support on 26th, explained the problem and initiated a device exchange. The new Nexus 10 (16GB) should arrive today and I will report back in a couple of days.

The support people did tell me that they have not heard this issue happen a whole lot. And I do appreciate the great customer care offered by these guys.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I received the new (replacement) Nexus 10 on Friday and the problem with shutdown while connecting/disconnecting the charger is gone. The sleep button press response is also steady and quick. The battery itself is holding up long as usual. I am using the tablet so much more than before.

I received the new (replacement) Nexus 10 on Friday and the problem with shutdown while connecting/disconnecting the charger is gone. The sleep button press response is also steady and quick. The battery itself is holding up long as usual. I am using the tablet so much more than before.
    Glad to hear your problem was solved!
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

I was having the same problem in that every time I unplugged or plugged the tablet into the wall outlet - the tablet powered down. It turns out I can plug my tablet directly into my PC and it charges and does not power down when unplugging or plugging. They are sending me a new will adapter to see if that is the problem.

Mine has started doing this, now, almost every time. The battery monitor almost always reads incorrectly now as well. I haven't done a factory reset, ever. I'm considering going through that hassle now.

I did a factory reset and it didn't solve the problem, so don't get your hopes up. I thought charging with a POGO cable would help, but that was useless as well.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Charger doesn't work on mine anymore either, had to use our android phone charger
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast