Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  • 2 Post By The Hustleman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about nexus 10

Why is the nexus 7 a quad core but the nexus 10 a dual core?

Any insight into why Google did that?

Why make a tablet with a superior form factor (10"screen) and then cripple it with a processor inferior to the 7" mini tab?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default Re: Question about nexus 10

Crippled?

It's really an apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Someone else more knowledgeable can get into the specifics, but I believe there is a lot more to it than just dual-core vs quad-core. I believe the Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3 quad-core and the Nexus 10 has a Exynos 5 dual core. I have read in different places that some believe the Exynos is a better quality processor than the Tegra? I don't know exactly why but I have seen that stated before. Also, the clock speed of the processor has something to do with it (the 7 is clocked at 1.3 GHz while the 10 is at 1.7 GHz).

There's a lot more to it but you can't base quality simply by the amount of cores.

read this New Samsung Cortex A15-based chip opens door to Retina Android tablets | Ars Technica

you will get an idea. it also compares quad core processors. the new processor mentioned in the article is the one used in Nexus 10
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Why is the nexus 7 a quad core but the nexus 10 a dual core?

Any insight into why Google did that?

Why make a tablet with a superior form factor (10"screen) and then cripple it with a processor inferior to the 7" mini tab?
    I'd be hesitant to call 10" tablets inherently superior there are advantages and disadvantages to all screen sizes and aspect ratios. In the same way, I don't think the lack of a quad-core processor will "cripple" the Nexus 10.

Starting with 4.0, Android's UI has been increasingly hardware-accelerated, meaning the work is done with the GPU rather than the CPU. The only situation in which a dual-core CPU represents a "crippling" disadvantage in comparison to a quad-core CPU is in highly CPU-intensive gaming and number-crunching applications. The UI, as well as demanding graphics, etc. are all handled by the GPU. Whether the GPU is adequate or not is another question entirely (one which I personally have yet to even think about), but I don't think that you'll run into many issues with the Nexus 10 as far as processing power. Android's multi-tasking and multi-threading methods are resilient and relatively efficient.

Also, many applications aren't developed to make use of more than two physical processing cores.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I take this comment back,i did some reading and this chip is actually more advanced than any quad core

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

This is one reason why specs (shouldn't/really don't) matter right now. You have to look deeper.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

It is like comparing 4 Volkswagens to 2 Ferrari's. The N7 uses an ARM9 architecture and the N10 uses ARM15. Also the N10 has a better GPU.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Does the power button seem really recessed on your guys devices. Mine is almost flush with the tablet.

I agree; it could be out a little bit more.