Is this reason enough not to buy a Nexus 10?

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I am an Android guy through and through. I am in the market for a tablet and leaning towards a 10 incher, specifically the N10. However it is 2012, the wireless age, and I want the ability to stream any and all of my media from my tablet to my HDTV and home stereo system. From any place in the house.

Let me say I really really do not like Apple stuff. However, for the first time I am considering an iPad solely for the Airplay Mirroring ability. Am I crazy? Crazy for wanting to stream HD Youtube videos to my big screen from my couch, kitchen, etc. Crazy for wanting to stream music with a solid interface from my tablet ANYWHERE in the house to my networked multi room 7.1 surround stereo receiver (Sony with built in Airplay support)?

Is Miracast going to become anything or be gone like a fart in the wind?

Call me crazy, but this Airplay thing is a huge selling point. Complete freedom to broadcast all my media from any place in the house to basically any device (since of course Airplay is becoming a standard).

I want to want a Nexus 10. Do I take that route and settle for the hardwired mirroring offering from Android and cross my fingers Miracast becomes a reality?

NexusX

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That sucks. I too would love to have this feature, it kinda sucks that a tablet that JUST came out, backed by a multi-billion dollar company, still makes you have to use an HDMI cable to bring your content from one screen to another.
Technicaly speaking, 4.2 (jellybean) is built to be able to handle miracast...but for some dumb reason we can't do it. I'm hopeful an update will give us all this feature.

I'm not an Apple guy either...but yeah, that Airplay seems pretty sweet.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For locally stored content I use Juice for Android which connects to my Roku box. It works great but you need a Roku and it can't stream something like Google music or anything from the cloud, needs to be on your device.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Consider looking into Intel's Wireless Display functionality (see here, here). I've used it, it works well, and it's built into many Windows 8 devices with Intel Core processors. WiDi supports Miracast, as well. Netgear's Push2TV is an example of a WiDi receiver.

I can't say whether the Surface Pro will support WiDi or not.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I can stream images, music and movies from any Android device to my TV via DLNA.

DLNA is an option, but it a little clunky compared to AirPlay and does not offer Mirroring. Wireless Mirroring is the key aspect I am looking for.

For locally stored content I use Juice for Android which connects to my Roku box. It works great but you need a Roku and it can't stream something like Google music or anything from the cloud, needs to be on your device.

I looked into Roku but reviews say Youtube App videos look pretty bad on a big screen TV. Also no mirroring ability.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I can stream images, music and movies from any Android device to my TV via DLNA.

Consider looking into Intel's Wireless Display functionality (see here, here). I've used it, it works well, and it's built into many Windows 8 devices with Intel Core processors. WiDi supports Miracast, as well. Netgear's Push2TV is an example of a WiDi receiver.

I can't say whether the Surface Pro will support WiDi or not.

Thanks Lume, that looks like some cool tech. I will have to keep in mind when I purchase my next PC. For now I am going for the portability of a tablet. As much as I am anti Apple, am I probably even more so anti Windows devices.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing we will get Miracast sooner or later as the hardware on the N7 and N10 should support it. Releasing it on a single device (N4) first to work out any issues makes sense and the N10 may be waiting on official certification. I just wouldn't rule it out yet. Maybe that's just an optimistic N10 owner talking... In the mean time I use BubbleUPnP with DLNA and that works OK but like you say it's not mirroring. I'm excited for Miracast mirroring too but in reality I don't think it I will use it that much. I think the iPad is a fine device but I highly prefer Android and really couldn't get myself to own an iOS device or support Apple. One option to consider is to by a N10 and a Vizio Co-Star or a Android stick. You will still be $100+ cheaper then an iPad + Apple TV. There are tools to control and share with the GoogleTV or Android stick.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally I keep trying to think of a use for wireless mirroring to TVs in my house. All my TVs already have the ability to watch all videos, Youtube, etc. through any number of boxes already connected to them.

I personally prefer to start something playing on the TV (with the remote) then use the tablet, you know as a tablet, while watching the TV.

I could see a use for it with racing games, or any ones that just require you to tilt the tablet/phone, but otherwise, not so useful imo.

-Suntan

dyinman

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
DLNA is an option, but it a little clunky compared to AirPlay and does not offer Mirroring. Wireless Mirroring is the key aspect I am looking for.

But you said you just wanted to stream music, videos, etc. Unless you want to see the tablet interface itself on the big screen, DLNA actually works very well.

Besides, if you do the Apple route, you still have to buy multiple devices to work everywhere like you want. Be prepared to open your wallet if you don't have anything Apple yet. If you're going to buy extra hardware and are indeed an Android guy, then there are lots of options out there to do what you wanted besides wireless mirroring (what do you want this for anyway, games on the big screen or something?)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Besides, if you do the Apple route, you still have to buy multiple devices to work everywhere like you want. Be prepared to open your wallet if you don't have anything Apple yet. If you're going to buy extra hardware and are indeed an Android guy, then there are lots of options out there to do what you wanted besides wireless mirroring (what do you want this for anyway, games on the big screen or something?)
Plus Apple products are just plain overpriced. :p Honestly, having to use an HDMI cable seems like a small price to pay when you have the best Android tablet available.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I ended up buying the Nexus 10 over Christmas. I love it but I almost sold it 2 weeks ago after using a friends iPad3 with AppleTV. Airplay is a thing of beauty and Apple has a home run. I still hate iOS though.

Anyway, I dug around found a YouTube remote app that has made my experience much better. I downloaded the YouTube app for my PS3. With the YouTube remote app for Android you can then control YouTube from your tablet. So technically the PS3 is feeding the video to my TV, but I can search and control video from the N10. It's not as smooth and seamless as AirPlay, but it will do for now.

I will most likely keep the N10 until the next gen N10 and iPad are released and at that point see where Android is in terms of Miracast and wireless streaming/mirroring.

BTW, I have an iTouch and a Sony home theater receiver that is AirPlay compatible. I LOVE it and it works so flawlessly. I also have an app for my N10 and GS3 that can do the same thing, but it is so unrefined. With the iTouch I just use it as normal and if I want to push it to my home stereo I just hit the little AirPlay button that is always active when it detects an AirPlay device.

I will hate on Apple with the best of everyone, I despise much of their stuff, but you're depriving yourself of some great tech/software by not giving AirPlay a shot.

br.avinash

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
you are my other copy! I just cannot stand to support Apple and their ways, not that otherwise I would have had their products (which suck btw)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae