Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By goelz83
  • 1 Post By bplewis24
  • 1 Post By G-Money713
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    I'm in the market for a tablet and I've been doing lots and lots of reading on both the Nexus 10 and the iPad. Pretty much all of my being wants to get the Nexus but one thing is holding me back. Each review raves about the Nexus but they all have one thing in common.....the lack of Andriod apps designed for large tablets. I currently am a Android user via smart phone and the last thing I want is a super sized smart phone, meaning same apps just blown up on a big screen.

    What is everyone's thoughts on the development of new apps designed for Andriod tablets? Up until this point there hasn't been a real reason for developers to make such apps as they all are concentrated on the Apple side of things.

    If I make this purchase I'm making a huge leap of faith that the ecosystem will evolve to take advantage of the Nexus display. Right now I don't think that is the case...............

    Thoughts??
  2. #2  
    Modna's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    I had the same concern you had but decided to go for it as this is the device meant to push developers into making proper tablet apps for android. I have come to a realization as of late though: It doesn't really matter.

    Don't get me wrong, stupid little phone apps blown up onto a huge glorious screen make me cringe because of how bad they look. Having my tablet for a little over a week and a half now, I find myself using it more as a computer than a phone or tablet. The web browsing, the email, the videos etc. I find myself using not too many applications because the web browser is so good on this screen, there is almost no reason. You have to keep in mind that half these apps are developed because they can't do what a normal computer can with it's display when web browsing.

    If you move onto the gaming world, you see awesome graphics on the higher end games that look great on the screen. For the simpler goofier games I can't say too much as I haven't found myself using them. Really the only time I did was when pooping at work, and I find it awkward bringing a tablet into the dumber while at work...

    All that being said it really depends on what you want your applications for. For my uses, it does everything it needs to and more. We are already seeing an increase in tablet based applications and I feel that sooner or later we could catch up to apple. Recall the app development when android first started, it was worthless. Now, even though smaller than apple still, it is great.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    It all boils down to what you are going to use your tablet for. As my signature says, I am using an androidified Touchpad. It has served me well on android for almost a year now. It is now mainly used as a Netflix player for my daughter. I still see myself reaching for that iPad we have because it runs smoother and everytng just look beeter with its screen. I blame some bugginess of my toucpad because it is still on alpha software.

    I am now debating if I want the nexus 10 as a replacement or wait for a newer iPad. But I am inclining to get an android device because there are things I do now that are not available on a non jail broken iOS device.

    But I have heeded some advice I read somewhere that might help you. Get a device based on the technology that you can use now and not based on the technology it will give you in the future.


    Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    I'd say at it's core I'd being using whatever tablet I get just for goofing off, web browsing, watching video, checking scores, managing my fantasy football teams. Maybe a bit for work, mainly emails, etc. My kids would use it for videos, games and maybe some kid designed learing apps. Stuff like that. I use some of the apps on my driod phone now, weather, ESPN, news etc but I think I would use a tablet much more when I'm home.

    My main concern is to fork over this amounf of money for tablet that can't be fully utalized with the current support system. WIth an iPad you know for sure what you are getting as most main stream apps are designed for the iPad.

    Guess I'll have to do some more thinking....
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    i love my nexus 10 i just got. and i am not a heavy user, but just what you say you will use yours for, fun.
    before this i had the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and loved that at the time. this is way better than that.
    BUT you can get the tab 10 for $299 and get almost the same experience
    i also have the galaxy s2 phone and love it. wish i could get the s3.
    before all this i was a blackberry fan and never imagined i could be an android person, but i am hooked.
    i think with android you get the ability to customize more.
    most of the apps that you'll use are available already. and more are coming every day!
    you wont be sorry and you'll save money!
    good luck.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Kind of an off topic question but in the play store is there a "New App" section or do you just have to trip across new ones?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea View Post
    Kind of an off topic question but in the play store is there a "New App" section or do you just have to trip across new ones?
    Once you're in the Apps part of Google Play you swipe left and right to the various categories. There is a "Top New Paid" and "Top New Free" as well as "Trending" and other categories.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    There's also this app called app sales where is aggregate all the apps on sale. Quite handy if you're looking for good deals.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Thanks for the info guys, I guess I just can't see the tablet apps since I'm looking via smart phone.

    Anyways, I'm leaing more and more towards the N10....any other thoughts or comments on the apps available or lack there of for Andriod 10" tablets?
  10. #10  
    goelz83's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I guess I just can't see the tablet apps since I'm looking via smart phone.

    Anyways, I'm leaing more and more towards the N10....any other thoughts or comments on the apps available or lack there of for Andriod 10" tablets?
    The lack of "tablet" apps for Android is blown way out of proportion. Developers have the tools to make an Android app work on both a tablet and a smartphone, they just need to start utilizing these tools that Google has made available. Most apps work fine on a larger screen, although there are a few that still do not format correctly. The lack of apps argument is something that Apple is trying to use to bash Android tablets with, and like usual with Apple marketing, their followers believe anything they say. Does Apple have more tablet-optimized apps? Yes. Does it make much of a difference in the real world? No.
    Thanked by:
    bplewis24 likes this.
  11. #11  
    bplewis24's Avatar

    Posts
    496 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea View Post
    I'm in the market for a tablet and I've been doing lots and lots of reading on both the Nexus 10 and the iPad. Pretty much all of my being wants to get the Nexus but one thing is holding me back. Each review raves about the Nexus but they all have one thing in common.....the lack of Andriod apps designed for large tablets. I currently am a Android user via smart phone and the last thing I want is a super sized smart phone, meaning same apps just blown up on a big screen.

    What is everyone's thoughts on the development of new apps designed for Andriod tablets? Up until this point there hasn't been a real reason for developers to make such apps as they all are concentrated on the Apple side of things.

    If I make this purchase I'm making a huge leap of faith that the ecosystem will evolve to take advantage of the Nexus display. Right now I don't think that is the case...............

    Thoughts??
    I suggest you make a list of apps that are critical/important to you.

    I have found that every app I use (even once in a while) works fine with the N10. The assets and images scale to the resolution nicely. The only app that isn't available for me to install is the American Express Credit Card app. But I've heard if you sideload it it works fine. I just haven't had the need to do so yet.

    Honestly, I think the apps thing is an overblown issue. Android doesn't need tablet specific apps, whereas iOS has a lot of apps that have a tablet app and a phone app. It gives the impression that Android doesn't have any tablet apps, when in reality as long as they are coded correctly they will work fine on both. Some developers don't do this, so it becomes a problem. But without knowing which apps you're interested in, it's hard to tell if this will affect you or not.
    Brandon
    G-Money713 likes this.
  12. #12  
    bplewis24's Avatar

    Posts
    496 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea View Post
    I'd say at it's core I'd being using whatever tablet I get just for goofing off, web browsing, watching video, checking scores, managing my fantasy football teams. Maybe a bit for work, mainly emails, etc. My kids would use it for videos, games and maybe some kid designed learing apps. Stuff like that. I use some of the apps on my driod phone now, weather, ESPN, news etc but I think I would use a tablet much more when I'm home.

    My main concern is to fork over this amounf of money for tablet that can't be fully utalized with the current support system. WIth an iPad you know for sure what you are getting as most main stream apps are designed for the iPad.
    Sounds like you are using some of the same apps I do (see my post here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2348733 )

    Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    As far as apps are concerned, I've only used a few so far:

    HBO Go -- Just updated a few hours ago and now works fine.
    Play Movies -- Awesome. High resolution thumbnails for suggested movies, great use of screen space, and the movies play great.
    Play Magazines -- The text on some of the older magazines probably isn't taking advantage of the full resolution, but the images in the mags are awesome.
    Play Books -- Excellent
    IMDB -- Just as good as Play Movies. In fact, they probably use the Fragments API just as well as Google devs do. It's a wonderful app.
    Angry Birds Space -- The splash screen and some other assets (loading screen, etc) probably aren't updated for tablets as they only use about 1/4th the screen. But the actual gameplay and menus take advantage of the full screen and look incredibly good.

    Virtually all of the other apps I've tried (ESPN FF, Wells Fargo Banking, etc) scale perfectly fine on the screen with absolutely ZERO issues.

    That actually speaks to one of the problems I have with a lot of review comparisons between the iPad and Android Tablets: reviewers constantly talking about how many "tablet specific" apps iOS has that Android doesn't. Why is that a red herring? Because Android doesn't NEED tablet specific apps if the apps are coded correctly using the Android SDK. The tools are there to ensure that the apps will scale properly to the different devices, and only certain types of apps will require tablet specific assets or complete frameworks.

    Anyway, color me impressed.
    Brandon
  13. #13  
    G-Money713's Avatar

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

    Default Re: Possible new Nexus 10 user but......

    Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    I suggest you make a list of apps that are critical/important to you.

    I have found that every app I use (even once in a while) works fine with the N10. The assets and images scale to the resolution nicely. The only app that isn't available for me to install is the American Express Credit Card app. But I've heard if you sideload it it works fine. I just haven't had the need to do so yet.

    Honestly, I think the apps thing is an overblown issue. Android doesn't need tablet specific apps, whereas iOS has a lot of apps that have a tablet app and a phone app. It gives the impression that Android doesn't have any tablet apps, when in reality as long as they are coded correctly they will work fine on both. Some developers don't do this, so it becomes a problem. But without knowing which apps you're interested in, it's hard to tell if this will affect you or not.
    I have OVER 250 apps that I rotate through and only a few looked bad on my Tab 2 10.1. And most are not "tablet optimized". People who complain about the lack of apps for android tablets don't use android tablets. Don't buy into that apple fanboy drama.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2
    bplewis24 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. How Well Does this Sell? and is Asus behind the new Nexus 10?
    By rhauer in forum ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
  2. New Nexus 7 user saying hi
    By Rick Hussey in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
  3. new nexus 7 user
    By donfede75 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  4. New Nexus 7 user
    By BustedSatellite in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
  5. New Droid X user but I am torn and here is why...
    By jamesedward318 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions