Nexus 10 random reboot workaround found

Jugador

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 10 has been rebooting on its own since I got. It only does it while it's in idle, not while using it but it's annoying nonetheless. I thought Android 4.2.1 fixed these issues but I was wrong. So I kept digging for a solution. Found one...... a workaround.

Issue 40140 - android - Nexus 7 / Android 4.2 : Sporadic reboots due to *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: ActivityManager - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Someone has found that the bug is most likely related to a locations. Scroll down and the guy says to turn off all location settings. That's what I did. I unchecked all the settings (GPS included) and switched the switch to off. Of course this means Google Now won't work (which sucks) but it seems to have fixed the reboot when in idle issue.

I have not had a reboot since I did this so I'm pretty happy. This seems to also work with the Nexus 7 so for those having problems there; give it a try. Google Now is lost for the time being but I do think it's worth giving it up until Google crushes all these bugs. I'll post back in here if my Nexus 10 randomly reboots again just to be clear that this workaround actually works.

So just give it a try.

Off Topic - Wifi disconnecting randomly is also a huge pain that I have not found a workaround or solution for, I really hope Google gets this bug with it's next update.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the post, I'm interested to see if it works. That said I've not had too many random reboots and I do like Now so I'm leaving as is for the time being. If it becomes a hassle, at least I know what to do, now. (No pun intended :p)

Jugador

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the post, I'm interested to see if it works. That said I've not had too many random reboots and I do like Now so I'm leaving as is for the time being. If it becomes a hassle, at least I know what to do, now. (No pun intended :p)

Maybe I'm just unlucky. It's good to here you're not having the issue I was having. My tablet was rebooting 3 to 4 times a day while in idle. I didn't think that would fare well with the battery so I kept my tablet off most of the time. But now it's all good (so far).

Joescan09

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Update: I have had maybe 2 or 3 random reboots since posting my last massage.

I haven't had any random reboots since 4.2.1 upgrade. I use google now all the time so i'm not sure what the difference is between systems but mine is running perfect.

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is crazy, what would apple do if their iPads were randomly rebooting?
Over charge the consumer and force them to use their ecosystem and theirs alone. Install a proprietary port instead of the industry standard. Then take months to fix their maps rebooting problem.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This is crazy, what would apple do if their iPads were randomly rebooting?

Lol. They've done the same thing, only forced options to be temporarily removed so that people wouldn't complain about it (iPad 2). Instead of removing the option altogether, as Apple would, you can manually disable it or turn it back on. I've had Location Services on and I'm pushing over 50 hours uptime. I think it depends on the device + the usage of Location Services. I only use it for HD Widgets (and as far as I know, they've updated to work around that issue for the time being).

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had 2 Nexus 10's and both have had this problem. The suggested work a rounds only worked to slow down the issue but did not solve it. Google support's only solution is exchange or refund. No one should have to jump thru work arounds like this anyway.

For the record I have had issues with Apple products and in both cases a fix was pushed within a week, so no it does not take Apple 6 months. Maps isn't a bug so to compare that is just dumb.

Google has one more chance with me and then I am done. The good part is the N10 rocks but they need to,push out a fix. 4.2.1 was total crap as indicated by so many threads.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Over charge the consumer and force them to use their ecosystem and theirs alone. Install a proprietary port instead of the industry standard. Then take months to fix their maps rebooting problem.

Then when they do fix it you still can't choose the default app.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

What do you just make stuff up as you go? IPad's have access to Kindle apps, Nook apps, Audible Apps to name a few for books. Movies, Amazon, Vudu and they can be downloaded too. You can also buy music from several sources and are not forced to buy music, books, movies exclusively from Apple. ITunes is available and certainly the primary part of the Apple ecosystem, but you are NOT forced to use it.

If Android fans expect to have credibility you cannot just make stuff up and/or outright lie as a means of trying to make Android or Google look like a better option.

Lightning is proprietary, but in 6 months Apple will see 10 times as many supported accessories than Android devices, speakers, docks, etc. So this will ultimately make no difference. I wish I could get some nice accessories for my Nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just like you do non supported Android apps you jailbreak or root it.

My response was directed at the BS that you are just locked into Apple ecosystem.

So there is no official way then like on android then. On android you don't need to root it to install initial apps.

Sounds to me you need to get your facts straight to me.

Last edited:

bru87tr

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I did not update for the first almost 2 weeks, I never had one reboot or crash. As soon as I updated, with in the first half hour I had my firt reboot. I had another the day later. This was when they were first released.

I haven't had one since. I run most of the apps others are abd use chrome exclusively (which I have yet to have a crash, freeze or reboot with). The only thing I havenshut iff is gps and nfc.

Last edited:

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So there is no official way then like on android then. On android you don't need to root it to install initial apps.

Sounds to me you need to get your facts straight to me.

I got my facts straight and as an Android owner I do not need to lie about Apple or it's products. You are mighty defensive. The person I replied to clearly stated misinformation about only being able to use Apple ecosystem on Apple iDevices. I simply gave examples of apps to the contrary. What you are referring to is something entirely different. I never said iOS is an open platform but there are apps that would allow you to never use iTunes (for music, podcast, movies and books) You cannot deny that. Apps is a different story. Enough of this!

Now lets get back on topic. I am avoiding using Chrome now and that does seem to help with the rebooting. I still think 4.2.1 introduced this problem. One of my friends that got a Nexus 10 for Christmas did not updated Chrome or Jelly Bean to 4.2.1 and he has no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 10using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bru87tr

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I got my facts straight and as an Android owner I do not need to lie about Apple or it's products. You are mighty defensive. The person I replied to clearly stated misinformation about only being able to use Apple ecosystem on Apple iDevices. I simply gave examples of apps to the contrary. What you are referring to is something entirely different. I never said iOS is an open platform but there are apps that would allow you to never use iTunes (for music, podcast, movies and books) You cannot deny that. Apps is a different story. Enough of this!

Now lets get back on topic. I am avoiding using Chrome now and that does seem to help with the rebooting. I still think 4.2.1 introduced this problem. One of my friends that got a Nexus 10 for Christmas did not updated Chrome or Jelly Bean to 4.2.1 and he has no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 10using Tapatalk 2

I use chrome exclusively just to see if I can get a rebbot and weeks later yet to get one.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What do you just make stuff up as you go?

In fact I do < Quick look outside the sky is GREEN>. However in this case I was responding to the question "what would apple do if their iPads were randomly rebooting?" in a humorous manner, while pointing out that Apple has their own flaws.

IPad's have access to Kindle apps, Nook apps, Audible Apps to name a few for books. Movies, Amazon, Vudu and they can be downloaded too. You can also buy music from several sources and are not forced to buy music, books, movies exclusively from Apple. ITunes is available and certainly the primary part of the Apple ecosystem, but you are NOT forced to use it.

Now, on our Androids we can buy Angry Birds from Google Play and from Amazon's App store this means we are NOT locked into the Google Play App store ecosystem. We can buy the same app, from somewhere else and Google gets none of the money. Perhaps I am mistaken and Apple now lets people buy apps from somewhere they don't get a piece of profits from. If so please inform me what other stores that are outside the Apple Ecosystem that iDevice users can purchase apps from without jailbreaking. I have a few family members that could make use of that.

If Android fans expect to have credibility you cannot just make stuff up and/or outright lie as a means of trying to make Android or Google look like a better option.

You are right! Luckily I don't think I made up or outright lied about any thing, though I did make up that bit about the Green sky. Lets look at my humorous claims.

1. Over charge the consumer
  2. force them to use their ecosystem and theirs alone.
  3. Install a proprietary port instead of the industry standard.
  4. Then take months to fix their maps rebooting problem.

#1 I believe the fact that Apple tax is pretty self evident and far form a lie.
#2 I addressed above. Apple has had their fingers in wallet of any purchased app.
#3 The Micro USB is the industry standard. Apple does not use it. Imagine if Apple had used it from the start, then they might have had the weight to change the Standard to Lighting/Firefly/Thunder or whatever it is called.
#4 [I forget what 4 was for] I believe this accurately pointed out Apple is not exactly The Flash [not Jay, Barry, Wally or Bart] when it comes to fixing things.

Lightning is proprietary, but in 6 months Apple will see 10 times as many supported accessories than Android devices, speakers, docks, etc. So this will ultimately make no difference. I wish I could get some nice accessories for my Nexus devices.

Yes it is proprietary, yes it will have more supported devices. We could argue the whys and what for but the point is IF Apple had adopted the industry standard from the get go, then all the supported devices out there WOULD work with our Androids and we wouldnt be wishing for some nice accessories for our Nexus 10s.Heck, I would happily accept my Nexus 10 needing an adapter if Apple and all the other manufacturers agreed to a single NEW standard [Let's call it BATport becuase everyone knows Batman has a plan] starting in 2014.

Now with all that said YES Google should have resolved this while issue [the rebooting one, not the Green sky one] by now.

Finally, lets all try to agree there is nothing wrong with some light hearted fun at the competitors expense. Friendly competition not Lawsuits is what is in the consumer's best interest.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Apps, yes Apple has that locked up pretty tight, which is good and bad. However, you used the term ecosystem and the whole thing is not locked down and this is what I called you on. You can still get movies, books, podcast, music from many other sources and most of those apps are free. Free apps net Apple nothing.

It is one thing to have a bit of fun, I am all for that. But let's be honest and not generalize to the point that something is not true. If you had said you cannot install or buy apps from anyone but Apple I would have agreed.

Apple can use whatever connector they so choose and 3rd party companies will make accessories. Android manufacturers should standardize a connector or port so that whatever Android you buy the docks (when available will work). To hell with what Apple does, they owe nothing to Android owners.

My issue here is not with Apple, all the Apple talk is irrelevant. Apple has never taken 6 month to fix anything (maps aside). My problem is with Google for putting out a crappy update that broke more than it fixed. The other thing is their crappy support that thinks RMA's is a form of support.

So lets get on topic and drop all the Apple talk. I only brought it up cause we do not do the Android community any favors when play these Apple is bad games.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Apps, yes Apple has that locked up pretty tight, which is good and bad. However, you used the term ecosystem and the whole thing is not locked down and this is what I called you on. You can still get movies, books, podcast, music from many other sources and most of those apps are free. Free apps net Apple nothing..

Not to side track the thread, but since you are obviously more knowledgable about Apple's system than I am. I seem to recall at one point Apple received a "piece" of all in-app sales/purchases. Is this still true? to be clear IF an iOS user gets a free Kindle app [which can only be downladed form the iTunes store right?] Does Apple infact get a share of any books purchased through the free app? Is the same true for comic book apps and magazine apps?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Apps, yes Apple has that locked up pretty tight, which is good and bad. However, you used the term ecosystem and the whole thing is not locked down and this is what I called you on. You can still get movies, books, podcast, music from many other sources and most of those apps are free. Free apps net Apple nothing.

It is one thing to have a bit of fun, I am all for that. But let's be honest and not generalize to the point that something is not true. If you had said you cannot install or buy apps from anyone but Apple I would have agreed.

Apple can use whatever connector they so choose and 3rd party companies will make accessories. Android manufacturers should standardize a connector or port so that whatever Android you buy the docks (when available will work). To hell with what Apple does, they owe nothing to Android owners.

My issue here is not with Apple, all the Apple talk is irrelevant. Apple has never taken 6 month to fix anything (maps aside). My problem is with Google for putting out a crappy update that broke more than it fixed. The other thing is their crappy support that thinks RMA's is a form of support.

So lets get on topic and drop all the Apple talk. I only brought it up cause we do not do the Android community any favors when play these Apple is bad games.

I wouldn't consider books and music apples ecosystem. How can "Apples" ecosystem include things that arent related to Apple? Kindle, amazon etc. Apples ecosystem are devices and how they only work with each other. Think Facetime, iMessage, cloud services, etc. You need a device from Apple to use these services. Unlike Skype in place of Facetime for example which can be used on Apple devices, Microsoft, PC's, Android and etc....

Lightning connectors sole purpose was to increase Apples revenue but selling rights to use it, hence the built in security chip. China manufactures have already cracked it though.

There have been issues with Apple products for years that haven't been corrected. Facebook notifications not making an alert sound is one of the most notorious. Some say its because of the app itself which may or may not be the truth but its been an issue since iOS 5.x. There are plenty of other issues too, here is an annoying one I'm personally dealing with....

Email Alert Tone - MacRumors Forums

Its not the end of the world but its annoying. And I know the only solution will be a full restore, which his way to much of a hassle to bother with.

We are on reboot issues for the N10 and I bet you'd be hard pressed to pick up an iOS device that's more then a month old that hasn't had springboard crash (phone crashed).

aqedupaj.jpg

Sorry about bringing it up but I don't find Apple devices any better then Android devices in reliability or anything else for that matter and I'm a heavy Apple user as long as Android...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar