how to share app data between different users of nexus 10

johnyg07

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi

How can I share app data such as PDFs and downloaded files. Can anyone share at what path the files are kept.
There should be a way to use the same paid app by different users.

Johny

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
your question is really confusing. you want to share the app data or apps you download from market or the downloads you do from websites?

johnyg07

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought app installed for one user will be auto available for the other user but that is not the case. I have to install same app again for different users. I have 16 GB version only so I didn't like multiple installs. However I can live with that. But what about the case with sharing same files between users such as music or PDF or downloaded files.

fredphoesh

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I want the same thing, but im less accepting of the notion of having to buy two apps for the same tablet!!!

In particular, I have an app that costs ?12, and I am NOT going to buy it twice for the same device, that is insane.

I will get a pirate copy if I have to.

Mark.

cpc464freak

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This is a mad situation, I don't now what Google was thinking about when they introduced separate accounts on each tablet. I opened up another account so that I could let my kid have there own account on the family Nexus 10. So I bought a tone of games for them on my account, assuming that they would be available on the rest of the accounts for this tablet only to find out that I have to buy them for each user and download a separately purchased app for each user! What a waste of money and storage space... useless!

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The same app is only present once, even if you have 10 users. So, no storage wasted.

And about the paid apps: You already can download paid apps with the same account on multiple devices. Now, if you want paid apps to be shared between different accounts, who would be paying for apps anymore?

dberthia

May 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a mad situation, I don't now what Google was thinking about when they introduced separate accounts on each tablet. I opened up another account so that I could let my kid have there own account on the family Nexus 10. So I bought a tone of games for them on my account, assuming that they would be available on the rest of the accounts for this tablet only to find out that I have to buy them for each user and download a separately purchased app for each user! What a waste of money and storage space... useless!
Had the same problem. For each of my kids accounts I opened the Google Play app, went to settings, and associated the app with my primary Google account instead of the separate accounts I'd set up for each of the kids. Now I can just pay for the app once and all the kids will have access to it.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem. For each of my kids accounts I opened the Google Play app, went to settings, and associated the app with my primary Google account instead of the separate accounts I'd set up for each of the kids. Now I can just pay for the app once and all the kids will have access to it.

The problem with that is by associating YOUR account, they also have access to your Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, even the ability to buy stuff using your account! That might not be what you want....

cpc464freak

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
And about the paid apps: You already can download paid apps with the same account on multiple devices. Now, if you want paid apps to be shared between different accounts, who would be paying for apps anymore?

That's not the issue, the issue is with separate accounts using the same device, there are no options here. :'(

dberthia

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem with that is by associating YOUR account, they also have access to your Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, even the ability to buy stuff using your account! That might not be what you want....
While it's true they can buy something with my account, they CANNOT see the other things you mention. Remember, you're just setting the account for the Play Store only, not the device. And as far as the buying without permission, one could always set a PIN in the Play Store app for the kids' accounts.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
While it's true they can buy something with my account, they CANNOT see the other things you mention. Remember, you're just setting the account for the Play Store only, not the device.

I am not aware of them being separated in Android. Of course, I have never had a NEED to do so, thus I would not have looked for such options.

And as far as the buying without permission, one could always set a PIN in the Play Store app for the kids' accounts.

True!

Scott Woodruff

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So far, I've noticed the same thing. I did the exact same thing, and thought somewhere you could assign which apps could be used with each user? I love the separate:eek: user function, however buying multiple apps for the same tablet is unacceptable.

Scott Woodruff

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
...however only one person, at a time, can use the same tablet? I believe once the "tablet" has paid for the app it should be acceptable in all of the accounts on "that" tablet? But it appears it's not.

Scott Woodruff

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just added "my Google account" to one of my family separate user accounts, with their own Google account (one that has no payment method assigned), on the Nexus 10. When you do this make sure you tell it NOT to sync with your existing account. This way, that family member or other user, can use already purchased apps on the same tablet (Nexus 10 for me). What is interesting, it appears that in fact for the free apps, they do install separately in each user account. I've uninstalled some free apps on my user account, and they still exist in the other users accounts? Also remember that that other user can get rid of or change your added Google account in terms of syncing. If the "other Google account" has no payment option, then that user will not be able to install paid apps.

Ivan Terry

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Fair play Scott, hope you calmed down some of the hot heads. That's what my girlfriend and I have been doing with our phones for years. If you don't want the people on your tablet being able to access you email etc. then they shouldn't have access to your apps. It's only to share one or two 25 cent apps but...

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

How can I share app data such as PDFs and downloaded files. Can anyone share at what path the files are kept.
There should be a way to use the same paid app by different users.

Johny

Could you share a Dropbox folder between the accounts?

mj_bytes

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The question was how to share data (files) between users, not how to share apps. The easiest way I found (elsewhere among the replies) is to put files to be shared in folder: storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/. Other users will have access to these files in their file manager app. Note that in the Nexus 10, at least, other apps such as the Gallery might not have access to the shared files until after a system shutdown/reboot. This worked for me. Good luck! --MJB