1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Any experience with an external battery charger?

Hey everyone!

So, our Nexus 10 has a pretty substantial battery. I'm excited to start travelling with it and will be taking it to some pretty out of the way places. Most external battery packs I find are more suited to cell phone charging. What are you guys using to keep your Nexus 10 going in the field? Thanks for any insight!

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Default Re: Any experience with an external battery charger?

Can't you just pack a spare charger and charge it while you sleep? It should give you around 10 hours of straight use and you're going to have to sleep sometime. Unless you will be somewhere without electricity?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goelz83 View Post
    Can't you just pack a spare charger and charge it while you sleep? It should give you around 10 hours of straight use and you're going to have to sleep sometime. Unless you will be somewhere without electricity?
    That's it. I'll be travelling places without easy access to an outlet.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VKM2F View Post
    So, our Nexus 10 has a pretty substantial battery. I'm excited to start travelling with it and will be taking it to some pretty out of the way places. Most external battery packs I find are more suited to cell phone charging. What are you guys using to keep your Nexus 10 going in the field? Thanks for any insight!
    Yes! It works! One of the *MANY* advantages of using a standard USB port for charging (a wonderful feature). On day one I plugged it into my Anker 5600 mAh external battery as a test and it started charging immediately.

$30 on Amazon- it is a steal and a great present. I highly recommend Amazon.com: Anker Astro 5600mAh Backup External Battery Pack Charger with built-in Flashlight for Apple: iPhone 5 4S 4, iPad mini, iPad 2, iPod; Most Android Phones: Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, all Samsung Galaxy Series Smartphones; Motorola D
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

I agree with the external charger idea, but but you might want to go larger than 5,600 mAh. The Nexus battery is rated at 9,000 mAh, so I would personally go with an external charger rated higher than that. They are getting pretty cheap, nowadays.

You might also want to look for one that will output at least 2 amps. It seems that these are available and they should charge your tablet faster than a pack that would only output 1 amp (which is sufficient for a phone).
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goelz83 View Post
    I agree with the external charger idea, but but you might want to go larger than 5,600 mAh. The Nexus battery is rated at 9,000 mAh, so I would personally go with an external charger rated higher than that. They are getting pretty cheap, nowadays.
    Indeed. But it is what I already had/have. It can charge my phone, if needed, at least twice. Yet it is still small and portable. They make all kinds of sizes now.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Indeed. But it is what I already had/have. It can charge my phone, if needed, at least twice. Yet it is still small and portable. They make all kinds of sizes now.
    Understandable. Just a recommendation since the Nexus 10 has a beast of a battery. I guess you could say that's a first-world problem.

In the "Risks and Limitations" section in the following article I guess these issues are handled internally by some circuitry in the N10 and not the wall wart (what the usb cable plugs into)?