Linux on nexus 10

Ross Mcclintock

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I've been searching the net for days for someone help on how to install my linux distro on nexus 10. I tried the "complete linux installer" app, but it only looks for the linux iso on an sd card, so i guess it needs updating for the nexus 10.

Can anyone please provide a tutorial?

Thanks

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been searching the net for days for someone help on how to install my linux distro on nexus 10. I tried the "complete linux installer" app, but it only looks for the linux iso on an sd card, so i guess it needs updating for the nexus 10.

Can anyone please provide a tutorial?

I didn't even know there were options for installing Linux on the Nexus 10. Sounds interesting to me. I wouldn't want to do that to my N10 right now, since I also bought a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist (ultrabook/touchscreen/convertible tablet thing) and immediately installed Fedora Linux on it (and it works great). Was just playing with running Android on THAT under Virtualbox: [ AndroVM blog | Running Android in a Virtual Machine ] Still has a ways to go, but has made a LOT of progress over the last few months. Virtualbox doesn't seem to like absolute pointing devices, like a touch screen, so the positioning is all off, ruining the experience trying to use the touchscreen (works fine with a mouse or touchpad, though).

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Does linux come with a tablet interface for a virtual keyboard.

What about putting the linux distribution on a usb flash drive and plugging in that? I think you have to root it for the external flash drive to be recognized; search these boards for the recipes for that.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
no more half baked stuffs on my tablet. i am done with that. when i bought my hp touchpad i did all crazy stuffs. it was fun at first then it was boring and have to deal with many problems. Android is far better than Linux at this point.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
no more half baked stuffs on my tablet. i am done with that. when i bought my hp touchpad i did all crazy stuffs. it was fun at first then it was boring and have to deal with many problems. Android is far better than Linux at this point.

Linux is not half baked. And Android is nowhere near "better" than a full Linux distro. Now, if it is in a *TABLET* context (which this thread is), I mostly agree- for a tablet interface, it is currently quite difficult to get anything really usable with a general purpose Linux. That is changing, however (but slowly).

Linux Tablets and PCs | PengPod Everything Linux
Plasma Active

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
no more half baked stuffs on my tablet.

In principle I agree, but it's his tablet to do with what he wants. For example, I have no desire to root my tablet but lots of people enjoy doing that. I don't like linux on the desktop. And I was a Solaris and Linux sysadmin for decades before I retired. Linux on servers is great, on the desktop it still just seems too dodgy, even after all these years. On the other hand, it's useful on the desktop so that people can figure it out; not everyone has a spare computer to dink around with as a server.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Linux is not half baked. And Android is nowhere near "better" than a full Linux distro. Now, if it is in a *TABLET* context (which this thread is), I mostly agree- for a tablet interface, it is currently quite difficult to get anything really usable with a general purpose Linux. That is changing, however (but slowly).

Linux Tablets and PCs | PengPod Everything Linux
Plasma Active
when i said half backed i meant all Nexus 10 components working not that linux is half backed.
if camera doesnt work with linux then its half backed for me.

again when i said Android is better than linux i meant Android installed on nexus 10 will be far better than linux on it.

Last edited:

andyyun84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey quick question. If I get Linux installed on my tablet. Will I program made for a windows interface work on the tablet?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey quick question. If I get Linux installed on my tablet. Will I program made for a windows interface work on the tablet?

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

You'd want to use the eclipse ide for making an android app. A linux app (windowed or command line) would work fine on the tablet as long as the tablet is booted to linux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol