Nexus 10 GPS

Dean Williams

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys have a question. Thinking about buying the Nexus 10, but having a working GPS is very important to me.

Will this thing function like a normal garmin, I hopp in my vehicle open the Nexus 10 and it gives me voice turn by turn with map view with any address I plug into it? Or do I have to start out with having a wifi connection at home, and if I change where I'm heading I'm basically screwed unless I find another wifi spot?

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It has to have map data for the area you will be in, but you can easily load the map data at home. Sort of like older GPS's where you had to load the map data for the area you were in from your PC.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Foxfi on my D4 and tether my N10, works great for navigation. The RAM suction cup mount for tablets works excellent with the N10 too in my truck.

Cynthia Blue

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a Nexus 10... I also hope that there is GPS functionality. I don't like to use my Android Phone as a GPS when I travel long distances, because it pulls the data too and I'm worried about roaming charges. I usually travel through long stretches of nothing area. I'd love for the Nexus to function like my Garmin does....

Edgraham75

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Cynthia, I'm not sure what Android phone you have, but the Nexus 4 lets you use just GPS if you want and disable "assisted GPS"(aGPS) which uses wifi and cellular data.

thienp

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
As long as you have offline maps your gps will works (no wifi needed)
Example maps: garmin, tomtom, navigon...etc.
you can download these maps from "Google Play Market".
The gps maps cost around $50

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have offline maps your gps will works (no wifi needed)
Example maps: garmin, tomtom, navigon...etc.
you can download these maps from "Google Play Market".
The gps maps cost around $50

why buy anotther map [especially at $50] when you can just cache the map in google maps?

thienp

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If you cache maps from google via wifi you can only go on with that one direction.
If you miss a turn on the way you will be lost. Or you will need to connect to another wifi to cache new maps

If you pay $50 for maps it will be like a regular GPS. There will be turn by turn direction.
And I think the original poster want the turn by turn direction so he need to buy the map.

If you have another smart phone with data plan on it, then you don't need Nexus 10 any more.
Just use google maps on that smart phone with data plan you will get turn by turn with Google Map
(or any other maps: Apple Maps, Map-quest, Bing maps... etc)
That mean any smart phone with data plan will act like the GPS

If you have the iPad wifi only even you have the $50 maps you won't able to get the GPS turn by turn
The turn by turn only works on iPad with 3G or 4G (even you don't have data plan on them they still work if you have the offline maps, because they have build in GPS)

So the Google Nexus 10 with build in GPS therefore it will works with those maps.

Last edited:

ibmnasa69

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Go look at the "navfree USA" app on the Play Store. It allows you to download maps for each state (I currently have Ohio, Michigan and Texas). You can refresh the maps for free whenever you want to. I haven't tried it in the car yet with the wifi turned off, but others say it works fine. I have set up routes in it and it is really pretty neat...I can see the 50,000 foot overall route on one page, or zoom in / scroll around and look at the route section by section or even block by block.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For offline maps, I would personally reccomend CoPilot Live. The USA maps are $9.99, about 1/4 the price of most of the other offline maps, but their maps are good and the app works well. Its a little extra is you want services like traffic, fuel prices etc. but I've been using CoPilot a little over a year now and am very happy with it.

Paul

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand why google doesn't let you take take the entire country offline. If it'll create too large of files for someone, than give them the option of not taking a lot of the extra stuff online, like just roads for example.