Nexus 10 HDMI and the Holy Grail

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Ask me why I bought the Nexus 10 and its the same reason as written by most of the reviewers, the graphics.

I finally bought a microHDMI cable for N10 input to my beautiful 55" Samsung 8000 series TV. The highest definition picture on my 55" TV is what I strive for, that is the holy grail. Actually the holy grail was supposed to be Miracast but we won't go there right now.

I would like to better understand what I am seeing, even if I have a discerning eye and can judge HD quality for myself.

The N10 display is 2560-by-1600 and I am assuming that it is the same pixel density out the HDMI and into my television.

The1080p standard is 1080 horizontal lines of verticle resolution with a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, thus implying 1920 by 1080. I don't think much of the content available to me is anything better than 1080p so therefore the benefit of the higher resolution N10 is a mystery to me. You can't create data, just because there are more pixels does not create information that was never there.

Then there is the question of what happens inside the N10, before and on the way out of the HDMI. If I use Google Play to watch HD and send it to my television, am I correct to assume that is it 1080p and that is what is going to my TV, nothing less or more? Same question for Netflix? I am about to invest my 5 bucks to watch the new Batman (in HD) on Google Play and send it to my 55" Samsung, will I have lost or gained anything by doing it through my N10?

My Holy Grail is also not to rely on the cloud and to own my own HD movie content. This quickly adds up to hundreds of gigabytes of movie data which I currently store on a terabyte Passport USB drive. I am currently experimenting with the N10 and Nexus Media Importer. Not enough time to conclude if this will work for me as a way to watch HD content using the N10. The truth is that my laptop with a 1920 by 1080 graphics capability is infinitaley easier (than the N10 but not as cool) and with Intel WIDI, i achieve the real holy grail which Miracast was supposed to provide with N10. Wireless and seemless display interface with home television is after all the Holy Grail, Yes? No? If and when we get Miracast to work on N10 will the pixel density available to my TV be the same as through the HDMI wire?

So, my conclusion on the N10 so far is that I love it (even if it does crash once a day). The reality is that my laptop is still a better media device, unless I am lying in bed with my wife asleep and i want to quietly watch a movie in bed, in the dark with headphones. And oddly enough, I seek a stand for my N10 which tilts the N10 to an approximate 45 degree angle, so that with my head on the pillow the N 10 is inline with my horizontal perspective.

Oh yes, and one more thing I add to the Holy Grail. I want to change TV channels with the N10. I want to use th N10 for text input into my TV and I want that to happen seemlessly, all the time and every time with no fiddling. Jellybean was a step backwards in that regard although there may be some apps of which I am not aware which actually complete these tasks?

Last edited:

fullmoon_chi

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
(1.) The N10 display is 2560-by-1600 and I am assuming that it is the same pixel density out the HDMI and into my television.

(2.) I don't think much of the content available to me is anything better than 1080p so therefore the benefit of the higher resolution N10 is a mystery to me.

(3.) Then there is the question of what happens inside the N10, before and on the way out of the HDMI. If I use Google Play to watch HD and send it to my television, am I correct to assume that is it 1080p and that is what is going to my TV, nothing less or more? Same question for Netflix? I am about to invest my 5 bucks to watch the new Batman (in HD) on Google Play and send it to my 55" Samsung, will I have lost or gained anything by doing it through my N10?

(4.) If and when we get Miracast to work on N10 will the pixel density available to my TV be the same as through the HDMI wire?

I'm going to try and touch on these questions enough to help light your path to the "Holy Grail".

1. The N10 down-scales the resolution to 1080p when outputting through micro-hdmi.

2. You are right about content availability. Higher resolution video content (1440p, 2160p, 4k, etc...) is not widely available. The N10's native resolution makes for smaller pixels. TINY pixels. Almost unidentifiable pixels. This makes it enjoyable for all sorts of computing needs. Video formats will catch up in time.

(This article might help, but it might also further confuse you. Here it is anyways. TV screen resolution - Understanding HDTV Resolution)

3. If you download a 1080p movie and play it on your N10 while outputting to your tv, your tv will also be playing 1080p. Content varies, sometimes hitting the info button on your tv remote helps. Usually, by doing this, it will show what resolution your TV is displaying.

4. Miracast is effectively a wireless HDMI cable. It's highest output is 1080p and also can send up to 5.1 audio. Whether or not Miracast could come to the Nexus 10 down the road, remains to be seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995