Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Nexus 10 wireless issues

I experienced a wireless oddity this weekend. We went to visit the in-laws and I got on their wifi fine, used it for a few hours til we went out to dinner. Once we got home, my N10 would no longer connect to their network. Kept getting stuck at authenticating, and it would cycle between not being able to see their network after a scan, to trying to connect and having the authenticating problem, to not seeing their network, over and over. I removed their network and added it back several times, turned off and on wifi several times, power cycled the N10 several times, nothing would work. My Galaxy Nexus was able to connect to their wifi just fine.

I then tried to connect to my Galaxy Nexus running FoxFi to see if I could connect to that, and it acted very similarly. Sometimes I could see it, sometimes I couldn't. When I could see it, it wouldn't connect. So after the first few hours at the in-laws' house, I was pretty much done. I was hoping nothing broke on my N10, though I don't see how anything could have happened between leaving for dinner and coming back.

My wife and I went home the next day, and as soon as we stepped in the house the N10 immediately got on our wifi, and I was relieved, though I have no idea what happened at my in-laws' house. The only thing I can think of (whether this even matters or not is another story), is they live in a very dense neighborhood, and there were A LOT of other wireless networks. Could that have caused a disruption, or confused the N10? Maybe if any of the other networks were on the same channel as my in-laws'? That seems like a stretch to me, as I mentioned, my Galaxy Nexus got on their wifi fine, as well as all the other devices in the house.

Anyone have any ideas? I was just happy it worked when I got home. I don't know when the next time I'll be back at my in-laws', but it'll be interesting to see if I run into problems again.

did you try power cycling their modem/router? It is possible the problem was on the router's end not the N10.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    did you try power cycling their modem/router? It is possible the problem was on the router's end not the N10.
    Yeah that was the first thing I tried, I should have included that in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by the block View Post
    I experienced a wireless oddity this weekend. We went to visit the in-laws and I got on their wifi fine, used it for a few hours til we went out to dinner. Once we got home, my N10 would no longer connect to their network. Kept getting stuck at authenticating, and it would cycle between not being able to see their network after a scan, to trying to connect and having the authenticating problem, to not seeing their network, over and over. I removed their network and added it back several times, turned off and on wifi several times, power cycled the N10 several times, nothing would work. My Galaxy Nexus was able to connect to their wifi just fine.

I then tried to connect to my Galaxy Nexus running FoxFi to see if I could connect to that, and it acted very similarly. Sometimes I could see it, sometimes I couldn't. When I could see it, it wouldn't connect. So after the first few hours at the in-laws' house, I was pretty much done. I was hoping nothing broke on my N10, though I don't see how anything could have happened between leaving for dinner and coming back.

My wife and I went home the next day, and as soon as we stepped in the house the N10 immediately got on our wifi, and I was relieved, though I have no idea what happened at my in-laws' house. The only thing I can think of (whether this even matters or not is another story), is they live in a very dense neighborhood, and there were A LOT of other wireless networks. Could that have caused a disruption, or confused the N10? Maybe if any of the other networks were on the same channel as my in-laws'? That seems like a stretch to me, as I mentioned, my Galaxy Nexus got on their wifi fine, as well as all the other devices in the house.

Anyone have any ideas? I was just happy it worked when I got home. I don't know when the next time I'll be back at my in-laws', but it'll be interesting to see if I run into problems again.
    I had this problem on my router. I had to go in the advanced wifi settings and change the wifi frequency band from auto to 5 ghz only.

Since I got my N10 I've found my Wi-Fi upstairs in my bedroom to be intermittent and it connects and disconnects a lot, while downstairs where the router is to be fine. I just switched the N10 to 2.4 GHz only since I read 2.4 is better than 5 when it comes to going through walls and what not. Since I made the change I haven't lost signal once, in fact my icon sits at 2 and 3 bars when before it never got past 1 in my bedroom. Just sharing for anyone who may have signal issues as they get further away from their router.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:

I bought a new lynksys router 2.4/5 GHz one expecting my signal gets better , but find my self using only 2.4 ghz on my N10 ,this way getting better signal. I'm leaving in a small apartment...

While I don't think would solve The Block's problem I'm going to share it here incase any others might benefit from it.

For Christmas I received a Range Extender as a gift. In my exisiting WI-Fi setup I have MAC [Machine Address Code] Filtering turned on so the MAC address of any equipment using my Wi-Fi must be added to the router's apprioved list. For some reason when ever any device switched/connected to the the range extender internet connection would be lost [ while wi-fi connection remained]. After a bit of trouble shooting I discovered that the range extender sends a virtual MAC [for each connected device] to the router. I merely needed to add that virtual MAC to my router's approved list and then everything was shiny.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    johnyguy#AC likes this.

Make sure wifi sleep is off on your device and wifi optimization setting unchecked improves speed by a few mbs

Well is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there something wrong with my device? I can normally connect to the WiFi just fine but every now and then I lose complete connection Andi have to restart my device, it usually happens overnight or when I switch from one WiFi to another it tries to connect, eg when I go from home to work and get the WiFi on and is trying to connect and stays at obtaining IP address... Is my device faulty I figured I would order on January for the fixes to be on it and bought mine like a week ago, but constant drop of connection is driving me insane, because of the fact that I have to turn off and then turn on my tablet, even though is not a huge deal is cumbersome.
    roberts68 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1087 View Post
    Well is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there something wrong with my device? I can normally connect to the WiFi just fine but every now and then I lose complete connection Andi have to restart my device, it usually happens overnight or when I switch from one WiFi to another it tries to connect, eg when I go from home to work and get the WiFi on and is trying to connect and stays at obtaining IP address... Is my device faulty I figured I would order on January for the fixes to be on it and bought mine like a week ago, but constant drop of connection is driving me insane, because of the fact that I have to turn off and then turn on my tablet, even though is not a huge deal is cumbersome.
    Have you tried just putting in in airplane mode for am few seconds to see if that resolves the IP address hang up?

Power cycle the router? Make sure your router has the latest firmware?
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Thanked by:

Have you tried just putting in in airplane mode for am few seconds to see if that resolves the IP address hang up?

Power cycle the router? Make sure your router has the latest firmware?
    OK I know is not the router my phone has no issues and like I said it works once I restart the device airplane mode works but I have to leave it there for a while, the problem is when I move from home to work loses connection and stays obtaining IP address or authenticating, but I know my router is fine because everything else connects fine, my PC, my 3 laptops, my roku and 3 phones so is definitely the tablet my concern is it the software or hardware.

do you have "keep wi-fi on during sleep" selected to always, only when plugged in , or never?
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012

Quote Originally Posted by johnyguy#AC View Post
    I bought a new lynksys router 2.4/5 GHz one expecting my signal gets better , but find my self using only 2.4 ghz on my N10 ,this way getting better signal. I'm leaving in a small apartment...
    Update the firmware. Linksy usually needs to update to fix problems. Finally updated mine and it increased my bar by 1 or 2 and devices auto connect way better.

Mine is doing the same thing
    In contact with Google

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

do you have "keep wi-fi on during sleep" selected to always, only when plugged in , or never?
    Mine is set to always, and battery optimization is on.

Help.

Quote Originally Posted by roberts68 View Post
    Mine is set to always, and battery optimization is on.

Help.

I am as annoyed as everybody else with this problem it happens everyday and won't come off it until I set airplane mode for like 30 sec to 1 min then back, is annoying on my older iPad 4 this didn't happen, now I am looking for the same experience, I figured it was the best android tablet, but at this point I am probably returning it and get the surface pro, the only reason I gave up the IPad 4 because I could side load flash and have it here, but problems started the. I thought performance would be incredible , but I guess the resolution is too high for the processor to handle, that it has hiccups at times, not to say the iPad didn't, because it did, but the surface pro might not have this problem.

I spoke with Google and they say its not normal and they want to issue a RMA to exchange it.
    Thoughts?

If they are offering an RMA and you dont mind waiting to get a new one, I'd say go for it. Just remember to check the new before your return window expires.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012

I'm having similar issues with my Nexus 10 (arrived Feb 4th).

If I leave it sitting for a few hours and come back to it, I find the wifi cycling between "Authenticating" and "Obtaining IP...". Selecting another Wifi then switching back does NOT resolve the issue.

For me, I just switch WiFi off then back on and it immediately connects to my router.

I have 4 other wireless devices running that have never had this issue (including a Nexus 4) so it's definitely related to the Nexus 10. I've tried manually selecting the band and turning off the Wifi optimization but no luck. I think I'm going to RMA this thing and see if a new one works better. Here's a list of other issues I've had if anyone is interested:

• Power switch sometimes tries to shut down the device rather than lock it (with a quick single click)
    • Power switch sometimes feels 'mushy'
    • Device would not wake up from being locked, had to do a hard reset
    • Audio jack has had a few issues where it required pulling the jack in and out a few times before the headphones would kick in
    • Chromes has frozen a few times (this seems to be an issue with Chrome, heard of this problem a number of times)

Uninstalling Ad Block Plus (ABP) worked for me. Thank for the suggestion. I have done 3 RMAs already for backlight bleed (no luck). I ended up keeping my first Nexus 10. Wasn't excited about prospect of doing another RMA for Wi-Fi. I would have to load things (e.g. YouTube) two or three times before I uninstalled ABP. After uninstalling, things appear to be working great (knock on wood). Not excited about having to look at ads now, but better than Wi-Fi barely working!
    Last edited by bennybananas713; 02-15-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: define ABP acronym

I had a similar issue with my N10. I could leave home in sleep mode and automatically connect to an outside network when awakened. Upon return in sleep and awakening I could not get past autheniticating to reconnect to the home network, even manually, and had to power off and reboot to connect. I tried the suggestion of small_law below (and another later) an de-selected "Wi-Fi optimization" under advanced settingd. I left Wi-Fi frequency band set to Auto. No problems since.
    Running 4.2.2, using an extender on my home network. Signal was always max (5' from extender).

Angry Re: Nexus 10 wireless issues

I am facing the very same issues with my Nexus 10, it connects fine, signal strength is great but the connection is damn slow and drops in between. I have to open a facebook page for 10 minutes before all the pics on the page load.. and cant download anything from play store.. connection breaks before anything is completed. This is totally unacceptable by all means.. If such basic things havent been taken care of, I wonder what other bugs are gonna show up soon. I am returning the nexus and buying an ipad ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnuVinayak View Post
    I am facing the very same issues with my Nexus 10, it connects fine, signal strength is great but the connection is damn slow and drops in between. I have to open a facebook page for 10 minutes before all the pics on the page load.. and cant download anything from play store.. connection breaks before anything is completed. This is totally unacceptable by all means.. If such basic things havent been taken care of, I wonder what other bugs are gonna show up soon. I am returning the nexus and buying an ipad ASAP!
    Yes clearly becasue YOUR device has a problem then ALL Nexus 10s have a problem and other Bugs will appear as well.

I hope your car doesn't get a flat tire because that will mean ALL cars like yours will get a flat tire, who knows what else could go wrong with the car. We should all switch to another manufacturer

Seriously, if you discuss your problems in greater detail perhaps the wonderful helpful members of this community who are MUCH smarter than I am could help you out. Offer some trouble shooting suggestions Etc. When adressing a wi-fi issue it is easy to blame the new device but you really need to examine the wi-fi network in whole. Can your router handle the number of wi-fi devices connecting to it? Is a bridge or range extender at fault? Could MAC address filtering be the cause or solution to your problem? Does your device have the same problem using Public wi-fi hotspots?

finally should no one beable to assist with your problem it is clear that the majority of N10 owners are not experiancing this wi-fi issue so isn't possible you just happned to get a lemon and a new N 10 will reslove your issue?
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Mark Brough likes this.

I got my N10 about 2 weeks ago and have spent the time getting to know it and struggling, but ultimately succeeding, to sync contacts and calendar. But this weekend it has started dropping the WiFi connection - even when it says or thinks it's connected. Sometimes the icon is grey, sometimes blue and sometimes blue with a flash through it, but it won't load web pages. Yet, when I go to settings it says connected and signal strength is excellent. I've tried off - wait - on for the router, the tablet, the WiFi (aeroplane mode) I've tried changing the advanced settings one at a time and changing them back when it doesn't improve things and here I am, back typing at my PC, when the whole point of getting a tablet was to get away from here.
    I'm reluctant to think it's a huge fault as it worked so well for nearly 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus10Ruth View Post
    I got my N10 about 2 weeks ago and have spent the time getting to know it and struggling, but ultimately succeeding, to sync contacts and calendar. But this weekend it has started dropping the WiFi connection - even when it says or thinks it's connected. Sometimes the icon is grey, sometimes blue and sometimes blue with a flash through it, but it won't load web pages. Yet, when I go to settings it says connected and signal strength is excellent. I've tried off - wait - on for the router, the tablet, the WiFi (aeroplane mode) I've tried changing the advanced settings one at a time and changing them back when it doesn't improve things and here I am, back typing at my PC, when the whole point of getting a tablet was to get away from here.
    I'm reluctant to think it's a huge fault as it worked so well for nearly 2 weeks.
    I've upgraded my router's firmware and (20 minutes on) I think I may have fixed it!
    Edit: the following morning, yes, it seems to be fixed - not one wifi drop.
    Edit: It seems I spoke too soon. After several hours of good behaviour, it dropped again and won't reconnect (although it says it is connected with excellent strength. . . . So I'm back at the PC!
    Last edited by Nexus10Ruth; 04-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast