Nexus 10 wireless issues

dberthia

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Discovered what was causing my constant wifi data drops: AdBlock Plus. Uninstalled and went with AdAway, and the drops are nonexistent now.

jludwig57

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
In the Nexus 10 Wifi Advanced Settings try selecting either 2.4 or 5 ghz as the frequency band and Uncheck WiFi optimization (this will eat up more battery). This was my problem. I went from Auto to 5 ghz and it connected instantly.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I experienced a wireless oddity this weekend. We went to visit the in-laws and I got on their wifi fine, used it for a few hours til we went out to dinner. Once we got home, my N10 would no longer connect to their network. Kept getting stuck at authenticating, and it would cycle between not being able to see their network after a scan, to trying to connect and having the authenticating problem, to not seeing their network, over and over. I removed their network and added it back several times, turned off and on wifi several times, power cycled the N10 several times, nothing would work. My Galaxy Nexus was able to connect to their wifi just fine.

I then tried to connect to my Galaxy Nexus running FoxFi to see if I could connect to that, and it acted very similarly. Sometimes I could see it, sometimes I couldn't. When I could see it, it wouldn't connect. So after the first few hours at the in-laws' house, I was pretty much done. I was hoping nothing broke on my N10, though I don't see how anything could have happened between leaving for dinner and coming back.

My wife and I went home the next day, and as soon as we stepped in the house the N10 immediately got on our wifi, and I was relieved, though I have no idea what happened at my in-laws' house. The only thing I can think of (whether this even matters or not is another story), is they live in a very dense neighborhood, and there were A LOT of other wireless networks. Could that have caused a disruption, or confused the N10? Maybe if any of the other networks were on the same channel as my in-laws'? That seems like a stretch to me, as I mentioned, my Galaxy Nexus got on their wifi fine, as well as all the other devices in the house.

Anyone have any ideas? I was just happy it worked when I got home. I don't know when the next time I'll be back at my in-laws', but it'll be interesting to see if I run into problems again.

jludwig57

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I experienced a wireless oddity this weekend. We went to visit the in-laws and I got on their wifi fine, used it for a few hours til we went out to dinner. Once we got home, my N10 would no longer connect to their network. Kept getting stuck at authenticating, and it would cycle between not being able to see their network after a scan, to trying to connect and having the authenticating problem, to not seeing their network, over and over. I removed their network and added it back several times, turned off and on wifi several times, power cycled the N10 several times, nothing would work. My Galaxy Nexus was able to connect to their wifi just fine.

I then tried to connect to my Galaxy Nexus running FoxFi to see if I could connect to that, and it acted very similarly. Sometimes I could see it, sometimes I couldn't. When I could see it, it wouldn't connect. So after the first few hours at the in-laws' house, I was pretty much done. I was hoping nothing broke on my N10, though I don't see how anything could have happened between leaving for dinner and coming back.

My wife and I went home the next day, and as soon as we stepped in the house the N10 immediately got on our wifi, and I was relieved, though I have no idea what happened at my in-laws' house. The only thing I can think of (whether this even matters or not is another story), is they live in a very dense neighborhood, and there were A LOT of other wireless networks. Could that have caused a disruption, or confused the N10? Maybe if any of the other networks were on the same channel as my in-laws'? That seems like a stretch to me, as I mentioned, my Galaxy Nexus got on their wifi fine, as well as all the other devices in the house.

Anyone have any ideas? I was just happy it worked when I got home. I don't know when the next time I'll be back at my in-laws', but it'll be interesting to see if I run into problems again.

I had this problem on my router. I had to go in the advanced wifi settings and change the wifi frequency band from auto to 5 ghz only.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Since I got my N10 I've found my Wi-Fi upstairs in my bedroom to be intermittent and it connects and disconnects a lot, while downstairs where the router is to be fine. I just switched the N10 to 2.4 GHz only since I read 2.4 is better than 5 when it comes to going through walls and what not. Since I made the change I haven't lost signal once, in fact my icon sits at 2 and 3 bars when before it never got past 1 in my bedroom. Just sharing for anyone who may have signal issues as they get further away from their router.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

johnyguy#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new lynksys router 2.4/5 GHz one expecting my signal gets better , but find my self using only 2.4 ghz on my N10 ,this way getting better signal. I'm leaving in a small apartment...

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
While I don't think would solve The Block's problem I'm going to share it here incase any others might benefit from it.

For Christmas I received a Range Extender as a gift. In my exisiting WI-Fi setup I have MAC [Machine Address Code] Filtering turned on so the MAC address of any equipment using my Wi-Fi must be added to the router's apprioved list. For some reason when ever any device switched/connected to the the range extender internet connection would be lost [ while wi-fi connection remained]. After a bit of trouble shooting I discovered that the range extender sends a virtual MAC [for each connected device] to the router. I merely needed to add that virtual MAC to my router's approved list and then everything was shiny.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there something wrong with my device? I can normally connect to the WiFi just fine but every now and then I lose complete connection Andi have to restart my device, it usually happens overnight or when I switch from one WiFi to another it tries to connect, eg when I go from home to work and get the WiFi on and is trying to connect and stays at obtaining IP address... Is my device faulty I figured I would order on January for the fixes to be on it and bought mine like a week ago, but constant drop of connection is driving me insane, because of the fact that I have to turn off and then turn on my tablet, even though is not a huge deal is cumbersome.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there something wrong with my device? I can normally connect to the WiFi just fine but every now and then I lose complete connection Andi have to restart my device, it usually happens overnight or when I switch from one WiFi to another it tries to connect, eg when I go from home to work and get the WiFi on and is trying to connect and stays at obtaining IP address... Is my device faulty I figured I would order on January for the fixes to be on it and bought mine like a week ago, but constant drop of connection is driving me insane, because of the fact that I have to turn off and then turn on my tablet, even though is not a huge deal is cumbersome.

Have you tried just putting in in airplane mode for am few seconds to see if that resolves the IP address hang up?

Power cycle the router? Make sure your router has the latest firmware?

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried just putting in in airplane mode for am few seconds to see if that resolves the IP address hang up?

Power cycle the router? Make sure your router has the latest firmware?

OK I know is not the router my phone has no issues and like I said it works once I restart the device airplane mode works but I have to leave it there for a while, the problem is when I move from home to work loses connection and stays obtaining IP address or authenticating, but I know my router is fine because everything else connects fine, my PC, my 3 laptops, my roku and 3 phones so is definitely the tablet my concern is it the software or hardware.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new lynksys router 2.4/5 GHz one expecting my signal gets better , but find my self using only 2.4 ghz on my N10 ,this way getting better signal. I'm leaving in a small apartment...

Update the firmware. Linksy usually needs to update to fix problems. Finally updated mine and it increased my bar by 1 or 2 and devices auto connect way better.